header.nohb.html

I'm a Drummer Living in a 500-Square-Foot NYC Apartment

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over 20 years ago I was paying $6300 for my house / property on a acre which was a lot : fast forward and I’m paying just over $25,000 ….. no joke .
Is that property tax?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now I have actually read the article instead of just replying to stuff here. The only thing it really discusses is the practical side of playing drums while living in an apartment in a big city. That you're going to rent practice space, and luckily in NYC, anywhere she plays has a house kit.

That's it. That's the article. No implication that this is being paid for by her playing, or that this is even why she moved to Brooklyn in 2019 in the first place. She's just a normal person working a normal job (presumably) who happens to play out a couple of times a month in a rock band, and is passionate about it. That's what 90+% of this board is doing.

When I say that I couldn't do it, I mean no shade. I just mean I couldn't do it. Props to anyone who can.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
$25K in property tax - that's unreal. Now we don't live in a big house (1,600SF) on a large lot but it is an older classical brick home in the city. Our taxes last year were around $2,350 - I guess I shouldn't complain.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My property tax here in Texas was $11K last year. It would be higher but I've been in this house a while and they are legally capped at a maximum 10% yearly property value increase. So Dallas County can't tax me for what I could sell the house for. The next owner will be paying out the nose though. With skyrocketing real estate prices and heavy property taxes, low cost of living here is becoming a thing of the past.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
$25K in property tax - that's unreal. Now we don't live in a big house (1,600SF) on a large lot but it is an older classical brick home in the city. Our taxes last year were around $2,350 - I guess I shouldn't complain.
Ours are somewhere around that amount as well.

DBT

Reaction score
Shear insanity . Ironically the person thinking about buying it is a Manhattanite who thinks it’s a bargain compared to costs of NYC living . This is what I’m talking about .

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My property tax here in Texas was $11K last year. It would be higher but I've been in this house a while and they are legally capped at a maximum 10% yearly property value increase. So Dallas County can't tax me for what I could sell the house for. The next owner will be paying out the nose though. With skyrocketing real estate prices and heavy property taxes, low cost of living here is becoming a thing of the past.
We have a cap in Michigan too. I'm moving after 25 years to a new house and my taxes are going to explode. My nose is definitely going to be a money conduit this fall. Nothing like yours though, so I guess it's all relative. A large portion of those taxes go toward our enviable school system, which is why our house sold in 4 days and I got way more for it than I thought I would ever get. Then again.... the new house ain't cheap either.

DBT

Reaction score
We have a cap in Michigan too. I'm moving after 25 years to a new house and my taxes are going to explode. My nose is definitely going to be a money conduit this fall. Nothing like yours though, so I guess it's all relative. A large portion of those taxes go toward our enviable school system, which is why our house sold in 4 days and I got way more for it than I thought I would ever get. Then again.... the new house ain't cheap either.
Yes Sir . It’s the school’s in prime area’s that push out the long time home owners who have raised their kids and are empty nesters . Just the way it is . Most people buy up not down so it is all relative in that situation unless your in a situation like mine . I’ll have a property where my closest neighbor will be a half mile away .

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's funny, we cringe at the young guys cramming into a tiny box, but they are surely cringing at us old guys paying outrageous property tax bills to live out in the sticks. The cycle of life. :)

DBT

Reaction score
It's funny, we cringe at the young guys cramming into a tiny box, but they are surely cringing at us old guys paying outrageous property tax bills to live out in the sticks. The cycle of life. :)
Hahahahaha yes and they still get the last laugh. I wish I started out making the money many of them start out making . But everything is more expensive too .

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No one is “fleeing.”
  • The current metro area population of New York City in 2022 is 18,867,000, a 0.23% increase from 2021.
  • The metro area population of New York City in 2021 was 18,823,000, a 0.1% increase from 2020.
  • The metro area population of New York City in 2020 was 18,804,000, a 0.01% decline from 2019.
  • The metro area population of New York City in 2019 was 18,805,000, a 0.07% decline from 2018.

Come up here and look- NYC is one huge turnover. People are starting to flee- they place is rapidly turning back to what it was in the 1970's and 1980's crime wise. After a solid 20 years of transplants wanting to "raise their kids in the city" and the suburbs dwindling, the suburbs exploded first because of the word we cannot say and continue to do so because the rising crime and the horrific schools that they still manage to spend over $28,000 per student on.

To put some perspective on that figure- Chappaqua and Bronxville (2 districts in Westchester just north of the city) spend slightly less than that per student- and they are 2 of the bests districts in the entire state. Before you run to the US News & World Report list of High Schools in the USA and point out most of the "top ten" schools are NYC Public- realize that none of those schools are open for general admission- they are all schools that you must either test into or be selected to attend and less than 1% of HS students in NYC attend these schools.

Yes the property taxes are insanely high in the suburbs of NYC- but the property taxes IN NYC are now rising at a rate I have never seen- and I owned a home in an outer boro for over 15 years. My taxes tripled in the last 4 years I owned it, and the buyers are now paying 5 times what I was paying for the first 11 years. I have friends who are now paying suburban level property taxes in NYC with none of the amenities.

NYC is also one of the 2 localities in NYS to impose an income tax on its residents (Yonkers is the other) and that ranges from 3% -3.9%. This is on top of NYS income tax which is anywhere from 4%-6.8% for people making under $1M. Once you add that to your rapidly increasing property tax- the number is very sobering.

I am speaking the truth when I say this- it pains me to see what is going on in this city. I grew up there, lived here most of my adult life and even raised my oldest there until 5th grade. But it reached a point where I put the kids first. I grew up in the tail end of the city being a hell hole- and I am not subjecting my children to that. I had friends who had knives pressed against their stomachs for SUBWAY TOKENS in the early 1990's. We just had a kid in non hipster Brooklyn murdered over a backpack- that hasn't happened since the 1990's.

If you would have asked me even ten years ago if I was going to leave- I would have laughed at you. Last year- we couldn't leave fast enough and lots of our friends and family have left or are leaving as well.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Side note... the legal profession isn't the slam dunk it once was. Lots of lawyers working cheap nowadays. Back to Brooklyn...
No it definitely isn't. But I am still amazed at the amount of people who leave college at 21, chase after a dream and/or work crappy jobs until they are 30 and then decided to go to law school.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s almost like this young woman — who is a journalist by the way — challenges the manhood of some posters with her “If-I-Can-Make-It-There-I-Can-Make-It-Anywhere” lifestyle.
Hooterville isn’t for everyone.

You do realize that there are a 1,000,000 people in this city just like her and they are coming and going everyday and have been since the 1880's? She is not a standout by any means. 70% of them all write little articles on Jane.com and other websites and try to pass themselves off as journalists too.

Calling yourself a journalist in 2022 is similar to calling yourself a photographer. It is nice and all- but how many of them actually get paid?

We also have a few 1,000,000 immigrants working really hard who don't have time to post articles about how they set their drums up in their not really that small apartment. They also generally live in even smaller apartments with about 20 other people and sleep in shifts. No room for drums there.

I'd rather see an article posted about them then some 20 something who is here doing "funployment" while mom and dad foot the bill. You seem to be oblivious to how expensive that apartment is. People who make $120K in this town who insist on living in hipster brooklyn have 4 roommates all making the same- the rents there are truly eye watering.

If she is still here in 2025- I will be very very shocked.

Maybe she does challenge the manhood of some guys on here- but not me. I do take slight offense at her (and it has nothing to do with her being a woman) being painted as some struggling artist residing in the city- when it is obvious that her band is the farthest thing from serious- which is totally fine. My wife came here with the promise of 2 weeks of work and $400 in the late 1990's- and her parents could not foot any bills. She had to live TWO HOURS away from her job- because THAT is what people struggling in NYC do- since that is how far you have to go to afford rents.

It took her almost 2 years to shave 45 minutes off that commute. It is obvious to anyone that has lived in NYC for even a few months that the subject of your article is far from struggling.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't even want to tell you how much my son just paid for 1200 sq ft townhouse, 1 car garage (where you can barely open up the car door), and driveway that is a single car length's long. Front lawn is 2 x 5. Backyard is 10 x 20. This is in Denver suburbs. Boulder is worse. But they were paying $1800 for 900 sq ft. of apartment. Their pay increases would be chasing an increasingly widening gap in house prices, so they probably did the right thing, at least for out there.

For our new one, I plan to die there or in a rest home. Preferably the former.

Reactions: DBT

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
You do realize that there are a 1,000,000 people in this city just like her and they are coming and going everyday and have been since the 1880's? She is not a standout by any means. 70% of them all write little articles on Jane.com and other websites and try to pass themselves off as journalists too.

Calling yourself a journalist in 2022 is similar to calling yourself a photographer. It is nice and all- but how many of them actually get paid?

We also have a few 1,000,000 immigrants working really hard who don't have time to post articles about how they set their drums up in their not really that small apartment. They also generally live in even smaller apartments with about 20 other people and sleep in shifts. No room for drums there.

I'd rather see an article posted about them then some 20 something who is here doing "funployment" while mom and dad foot the bill. You seem to be oblivious to how expensive that apartment is. People who make $120K in this town who insist on living in hipster brooklyn have 4 roommates all making the same- the rents there are truly eye watering.

Maybe she does challenge the manhood of some guys on here- but not me. I do take slight offense at her (and it has nothing to do with her being a woman) being painted as some struggling artist residing in the city- when it is obvious that her band is the farthest thing from serious- which is totally fine. My wife came here with the promise of 2 weeks of work and $400 in the late 1990's- and her parents could not foot any bills. She had to live TWO HOURS away from her job- because THAT is what people struggling in NYC do- since that is how far you have to go to afford rents.

It took her almost 2 years to shave 45 minutes off that commute. It is obvious to anyone that has lived in NYC for even a few months that the subject of your article is far from struggling.
I read the article. I don’t believe “struggling” or “artist” are mentioned. Weird you would react so strongly to something that you think is inferred, but is not.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read the article. I don’t believe “struggling” or “artist” are mentioned. Weird you would react so strongly to something that you think is inferred, but is not.

I guess its same reaction you get whenever anyone mentions Pat Benatar

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FWIW, Vistalite Black had a two-hour commute each way to Manhattan and back when he ascended to the top of his profession there in the 90s.
Which depending on the time of day of said commute could be anywhere from the Poconos to the other side of Manhattan

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

You’re definitely being a bit hyberbolic on the rents in hipster Brooklyn. They’re stupid but they aren’t that crazy unless you’re are right in Williamsburg or Park Slope. Lots of my friends could reasonably be labeled struggling hipster creative types living in Brooklyn. They spend too much on rent but they aren’t parent funded, don’t make 6 figures, and don’t have four roommates either. My girlfriend was spending $1600 a month for her studio off the Wilson L stop in Bushwick until two years ago. My best friend and his girlfriend are paying $2200 for an apartment about the same size as that described in the article in Bed Stuy by Boys and Girls High School. Its not easy but it can be done