header.nohb.html

I'm a Drummer Living in a 500-Square-Foot NYC Apartment

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I spent a few minutes in an apartment where a professional cellist/bass player lived. It was right around Columbus Circle in Manhattan.

The place could not have been bigger than 200 sq ft max. The guy had a bathroom right when you walked in, an open kitchen, and then the room, which was around 10X12. He had his bass and cello under his bed, and his bed was an IKEA type of thing that he could fold up and turn into a couch.

The friend who took me there was a keyboardist and said wow, this place is amazing, I wish I had this much space.

Last edited:

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
For Insider.com, Joey Hadden tells what it's like to share a tiny apartment with her dog and partner:

• Being a musician in NYC can be challenging, especially for a drummer living in a tiny apartment.
  • I play drums in a band while living in a 500-square-foot Brooklyn apartment.
  • I save space as a drummer while living tiny with storage hacks and a much smaller kit.

I applaud your determination. You could go to Nashville. Rent a home outside the city ( or not) and I will guess your QoL will go up while cost of living will
For Insider.com, Joey Hadden tells what it's like to share a tiny apartment with her dog and partner:

• Being a musician in NYC can be challenging, especially for a drummer living in a tiny apartment.
  • I play drums in a band while living in a 500-square-foot Brooklyn apartment.
  • I save space as a drummer while living tiny with storage hacks and a much smaller kit.

move to Nashville
Affordable housing
No state tax
Safer
Other drummers live there as well as other musicians

Just a suggestion.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago I spent a few minutes in an apartment where a professional cellist/bass player lived. It was right around Columbus Circle in Manhattan.

The place could not have been bigger than 200 sq ft max. The guy had a bathroom right when you walked in, an open kitchen, and then the room, which was around 10X12. He had his bass and cello under his bed, and his bed was an IKEA type of thing that he could fold up and turn into a couch.

The friend who took me there was a keyboardist and said wow, this place is amazing, I wish I had this much space.
West side across from Central Park ? Big time money .

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I applaud your determination. You could go to Nashville. Rent a home outside the city ( or not) and I will guess your QoL will go up while cost of living will

move to Nashville
Affordable housing
No state tax
Safer

Just a suggestion.
Safer? Nashville has higher crime than NYC

Blue Zurich

Reaction score

move to Nashville
Affordable housing
No state tax
Safer

Just a suggestion.
and shop at Nelson Drum Shop!

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

move to Nashville
Affordable housing
No state tax
Safer

Just a suggestion.

I live in and love Nashville but...there's a lot wrong with this post.

The housing compared to salaries is NOT affordable...not anymore at least. There is no state tax, but you have absolutely ridiculous laws/politicians here. And I mean way beyond the whack jobs a normal state might have. Safer? Holy cow, where does this statement come from? The crime rate here is actually really high and it's a huge problem.

I will agree about the other drummers.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$80 ? that’s insanity !!!
But oh so good. I realize this sounds impossible, but it's worth every cent. Carnegie Deli has great Cheesecake too, and will deliver anywhere in the continental US. They closed for a bit, but I believe they're back open. I'm sure Juniors, and Harrolds delivers as well. Katz is another one.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Best food in the country, hands down, is in New York. I've always been there on business, and meals are usually with locals who know what's what. I couldn't tell you the name of any place I've been, but great restaurants are just everywhere.

One thing that shocked me is that the prices really aren't out of line with prices in other cities as long as you're talking like for like kinds of restaurants. Considering the cost of rent and operating, it makes you feel ripped off in cities like Dallas. Not that there isn't great food in every major city, there really is, but New York is just consistently way above the rest.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Makes me think of the Yogi Berra quote when he was taking about a popular night club in NYC - " Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded".
Yeah," it's ironic how irony works"

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What leaps out at me from the article is that SHE DOESN'T EVEN OWN HER OWN FULL DRUM SET. I posted about this before on this forum and didn't get much ratification, but with all the backline kits these days, I swear, there's almost no reason to own your own. And there's certainly not much reason to own the set you want because you'll end up playing other sets most of the time anyway.

As for rents in Brooklyn, there are some wild figures being tossed around. As with all real estate, location is the key. My kid lives in a nice but not especially trendy area of Brooklyn and pays around $1300/month for an apartment that's probably a tad smaller than 500 square feet. I think $1300 is outrageously high (it's 4-5 times what I pay for a similar-size space not in New York) but it's not bad for New York. Prices have gone up a lot this last year or so, and my kid got into hers before the recent inflation, but anecdotal horror stories are just that.

As for being an artist in New York, unless you're from there or happen to make it big, it's mostly a duty tour. New York is a magnet for artists and is accordingly incredibly competitive. Next to none actually makes a living through art there. But once you leave for a more normal and less competitive place, you go back to making more money with the addition of having your New York experience, which often increases your earnings while presumably having improved your art.