I'm in love!!! (Pearl G-Series Maple Shell project log)

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The pedals on my first kit, an Export, looked like that. The bd pedal had a round cam with a strap. I remember them being somewhat slow, but maybe that was just my playing! :D

AustinFitz

Reaction score
These have the same neutral round cams, but single chains instead of straps. I'm still in the process of adjusting them to my liking, but I'm sure they were never the fastest things out there. After all, this was Pearl's entry level double pedal when it came out.

I really just like the shape and feel of the footboards myself. That's why I'm buying a newer, higher end double pedal as well. I'm hoping to combine the two and end up with all the benefits of a nice modern double pedal, but with the old style footboards. I'm also planning to upgrade the heel plate hinges on these old footboards somehow.

I came across these pics on another forum where someone had modified an older Pearl pedal to accept a DW ball bearing hinge. I may end up doing something similar.

Screenshot_2020-03-31-00-55-15(1)(1).png

Screenshot_2020-03-31-00-55-25(1).png

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could put those footboards on a newer pedal since you like the feel and adjustability of a new pedal but want the cohesive period correct look? Might be easier.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I wonder if you could put those footboards on a newer pedal since you like the feel and adjustability of a new pedal but want the cohesive period correct look? Might be easier.
That's basically what I plan on doing. Just have to upgrade the hinges for the heel plates. This is the newer pedal I'm getting.

snap seed 1.jpeg

Last edited:

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Thanks to a very generous forum member, I was finally able to get the newer Pearl P-102TW double pedal that I had posted about above! I now have two complete Pearl double pedal setups to work with (an early '90s P-792TW, and an early 2000s P-102TW Powershifter), which I'm hoping will supply most all of the parts I'll need to assemble my custom Franken-pedal.

It looks like it's going to be a bit more involved than just swapping the old P-792 footboards over to the newer P-102 pedals though. Being that the P-102 has the Powershifter feature, and an entirely different heel plate hinge design, the footboards aren't really interchangeable without modification.

I've been brainstorming a lot about this lately, and I'm now thinking I may try to eliminate the heel plate hinges all together by taking the P-792s and bolting the heel plates directly to the footboards making them each 1 solid piece, and then installing hinges underneath, effectively turning them into longboards!

I know that's probably difficult to picture, so here's a short YouTube video I came across while researching the subject. Different type of pedal, and it's not EXACTLY what I plan on doing, but it should help to get an idea of what I'm thinking about.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's the benefit of a "longboard" pedal? I remember the Speedking in longboard mode pivoting up at the back of the heel, but that's not the case here. I bet it'll feel dfferent, wouldn't do it just for cosmetics.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
What's the benefit of a "longboard" pedal? I remember the Speedking in longboard mode pivoting up at the back of the heel, but that's not the case here. I bet it'll feel dfferent, wouldn't do it just for cosmetics.
That's what I'm aiming to find out! I've actually never played any longboard pedals. I'm not too concerned with the cosmetics, although I do prefer all 3 of my pedals to match. I'm mostly just experimenting out of curiosity, and hoping to maybe improve comfort/feel.

Personally I've always removed the toe stops from all of my bass drum pedals, and I tend to play with my foot hiked way up towards the chain on the footboard. That usually places my heel either directly on top of the hinge, or in some cases, even completely above the hinge leaving the heel plate totally unused. That's one of the main reasons I like the P-792 footboards so much. They're big, long, wide, and comfortable!

I figured since I never really use the heel plates anyway, why not just attach them directly to the rest of the footboard and try them out as longboards!? I'm sure the feel will be different, but if I don't like them I can easily convert them back to their original specs. All of the modifications I'm doing are reversible. I'll post some pics when I can!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
So I've been working on my P-792/P-102 longboard project over the past couple of days, and I'm really happy with how it's coming along!

I got the master pedal all assembled and playable today. Most of the pedal is just the P-102 Powershifter, but with the customized longboards I made from the P-792 footboards. Hardest part was the fact that I wanted to keep the Powershifter feature, but didn't want to drill any holes through my footboards. It's not as quick and easy to change the setting as the factory setup was with the bolt through the heel plate, but it does still function properly with the longboard.

After setting it up and playing around with it all evening, I'm actually really impressed! This thing feels GREAT!!! It's definitely different, but in the best way possible! It's hard to describe, but it's a lot more natural feeling for me. I probably should've tried longboards a long time ago lol... I noticed being able to use my heel more effectively on this pedal instantly improved the speed of my doubles too.

I can't wait to finish building the matching slave pedal now! :headbang:

20200430_212654_HDR-01.jpeg

20200430_212749_HDR-01.jpeg

20200430_213016_HDR-01.jpeg

20200430_213136_HDR-01.jpeg

Last edited:

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Finally got both the master and slave pedals converted to longboards! It was a lot of work, but definitely worth it! They just feel really natural to me. Upon trying them out I was instantly playing double bass stuff that I couldn't do before the conversion.

I also happened to find the correct early '80s Pearl 900 series snare stand to add to the kit. That now makes 1 straight cymbal stand, 1 boom stand, and 1 snare stand, all 900 series. Slowly but surely I'm changing out any mismatched hardware for period correct 900 series stuff. It's actually pretty difficult to find!

IMG_20200508_194340.jpg

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the underside of one of the footboards showing how I did the longboard conversion. I used the factory mounting points for everything, so no drilling, cutting, or modifications were needed to either of the footboards, or base plates. It can all be easily put back to factory original.

Please excuse the rough appearance of the homemade brackets lol. I didn't want to spend too much time making everything pretty until I knew for sure that I liked them set up this way.

20200510_183629_HDR-01.jpeg

20200510_183356_HDR-01.jpeg

20200510_183437_HDR-01.jpeg

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I'll probably upgrade the hinges in the near future. These were just what I had laying around... I really do like the way they feel though! The Powershifter feature is still pretty easy to adjust too. You just have to lift the footboard, remove the big flathead screw in the middle, and then you can place it in any of the 3 different positions. As I mentioned before, I really didn't want to drill through the footboards, and it's really not that hard to just lift them up to get to the screws.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Scored some things for the kit in the past couple of days! Managed to find these two Pearl 900 series straight stands, which are the catalog correct stands for this particular kit. Found them on ebay in a big lot of 6 stands, and made a deal on just these 2. I just received them today, and have them all broken down to clean them, but here's a pic from the ad, and a 1980 catalog pic of the Big Beat.

IMG_20200615_212651.jpg

IMG_20190331_130521.jpg

Then I also snagged a ride cymbal that I've been wanting ever since I stupidly sold the one that I had years ago. It was my favorite cymbal. A brilliant finish 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Jazz Ride... I'm hoping I like this new one just as much, or maybe even more than my old one though! It should be here Monday, but here's a pic from the seller.

IMG_20200616_222617.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Austin,

Do you need the snare stand seen in the catalogue pic?
I think I have that one....

Pearl_SnareStands.jpg

...the one on the left.

Elvis

KevinD

Reaction score
PEARL 803 STAND 80 CATLOG.PNG

In your search for era-correct stands, have you come across the Pearl 803? The tilting mechanism was at the top, vs. over on the side like the 903s. My 82 Pearl MX came with one of the 803s... Still have it, holds well too. I don't think I've seen too many of those over the years though. (photo from the '80 catalog)

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Austin,

Do you need the snare stand seen in the catalogue pic?
I think I have that one....

View attachment 447565

...the one on the left.

Elvis
That would be the 800 series snare stand. I have one that I got with the kit, but I was looking for the 900 series. I actually just recently found one though! Here's a closer pic from the catalog, and the only pic I have of the one I just got. I really appreciate the offer!

Screenshot_2020-06-21-20-25-23(1).png

IMG_20200508_194340.jpg

AustinFitz

Reaction score
View attachment 447598

In your search for era-correct stands, have you come across the Pearl 803? The tilting mechanism was at the top, vs. over on the side like the 903s. My 82 Pearl MX came with one of the 803s... Still have it, holds well too. I don't think I've seen too many of those over the years though. (photo from the '80 catalog)
Can't say that I have! That's an interesting design. I'll keep my eyes out from now on though. I just love all of the gearless adjustments on this old 900 series stuff.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I've been working on getting to know my new 1827g 20" Jazz Ride lately. I wasn't quite sure about it at first, but the more I played it, the more I liked it. That continued on until today, when I decided I love it! It's a keeper for sure. It's complex. Sweet and shimmery, yet dark and smokey at the same time. Great bell, and it opens up easily with a beautiful crash. Sounds killer with a bath chain on it as well.

IMG_20200702_234859.jpg

Last edited:

AustinFitz

Reaction score
View attachment 447598

Just saw this one posted on the vintage Pearl enthusiasts Facebook page.

FB_IMG_1596044016137.jpg

FB_IMG_1596044020717.jpg

Latest posts