I'm in love!!!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
The Jupiter's looking gorgeous!
Thank you! I think so too. I know a lot of people think of them as cheap looking, but I find them to be beautiful! They're fairly heavy and well made with nice chrome. This is actually the first snare I've ever had or played witha parallel strainer, and I'm LOVING it! The sensitivity is amazing, and with everything being adjustable it's extremely versatile! There are so many really nice, useable sounds it can do that it's been hard to settle on one! Another thing I really like is that when I flip the wires off they move WAY away from the head so I get zero rattling while playing with the snare off. Then when I flip them back on they're at the exact same tension as they were initially. Overall it's just a delightful drum all around!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The non-parallel version, the 4214 has been my main snare for the last half a decade, actually one of two. There isn't a gig I haven't thrown at it: klezmer, funk, swing, reggae, classic rock, country, hip-hop, you name it!
IMG_1483.jpg

AustinFitz

Reaction score
The non-parallel version, the 4214 has been my main snare for the last half a decade, actually one of two. There isn't a gig I haven't thrown at it: klezmer, funk, swing, reggae, classic rock, country, hip-hop, you name it!View attachment 397383
That's awesome!!! I wouldn't mind finding myself a nice 5×14 like that to add to my collection. Be it parallel, Gladstone, or maybe even one of each lol! Is that a 5" or a 5.5? Either way I really dig it.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Figured I'd continue the updates in this thread. I've been playing the hell out of this kit lately! A while back I was experimenting with different bass drum tunings, and broke a swivel nut on one of the batter side bass drum lugs. I didn't think it would be a big deal to get a replacement, but after some internet searching I found Pearl and a few other manufacturers use larger 6mm swivel nuts on their bass drum lugs. I also found that it's nearly impossible to find replacement swivel nuts these days that have both large 6mm thread, and are also designed for use with springs like most older drum lugs have.

After striking out on finding new replacements, I turned to the Facebook drum groups. I did end up finding a guy who sold me a vintage replacement from an old Pearl bass drum lug, and all was good for a few weeks... That is until I sat down to practice one afternoon and decided to change my bass drum tuning again... Went to loosen a T-rod and it just came right off in my hand lol.

After breaking 2 and knowing these swivel nuts are nearly 40 years old, and look like they've been cranked up WAY too high just one too many times, I started looking for a lot more than just a single replacement. It took quite a bit of searching, but I finally got lucky and found these 3 bags of 12 Gibraltar large 6mm swivel nuts on Reverb for under $20 shipped. While they're not exact copies of the original Pearl swivel nuts, they are the correct dimensions and threading, and they fit perfectly. I know it may not seem like a big deal to some, I'm really happy I found them as I just hate having to Jerry rig stuff on my drums. Drives my OCD nuts!

Screenshot_2019-08-01-22-39-55(1).png

Last edited:

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Another small update to this thread, but a big relief for my OCD. The tom arms are supposed to have 2 memory locks each. One for the base where they attach to the bass drum, and one on the top where the tom slides on. There is a difference between the left and right side memory locks so that the bolt heads all face outward for easy access.

When I got the kit it only included 3 locks, and all 3 were for the right side... I've had my eyes out since I got them, and finally found someone selling an old left side arm with the correct left side memory locks. I sent the seller a message, and luckily he agreed to sell me just the 2 left side memory locks!

I know I could have just replaced them all with modern ones, but I like to try to keep things correct and vintage whenever I can. I also really like the sandblasted finish that matches the rest of the hardware.

IMG_20190912_095345.jpg

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice job on everything, man. I love this thread. I've noticed it along the way and have kept up with you. It's so refreshing to read about someone loving they're stuff. We all love our drums, but the majority of the content here is about what else might be out there for us, which is kind of negative in a way. Thanks for keeping us updated, I know I'm not the only one following along!

Also, not sure if you already mentioned it and I just missed it, but what heads are you using on your bass drum?

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Thank you! It does feel nice to be genuinely excited about what I have. In the past with some of my other hobbies (like vintage bicycles) it's always seemed to be more about the hunt. Once I finally found what I was after, it would just get set aside, and then it was on to the next thing I thought I just had to have... Kind of a chronic case of "the grass is always greener". I quickly ran out of room to store things doing that lol.

I guess I just got really lucky in finding a kit that literally checked off all the boxes for me on my first try! Of course that's not to say I won't continue looking for cool drums to buy though!

I've been slowly stashing away funds to eventually replace the heads on everything, but for now I'm still using the heads that were on it when I got it. For the bass drum that would be a clear Remo PS3 on the batter side, and a smooth white Remo PS3 on the reso side with a 6" port, and one of those little black plastic port protector things. It sounds great as is tuned both high and low, and I often switch back and forth between the two. I'd really love to hear what it would sound like with an intact reso head though!