I'm Looking For A Drum Made On My Birthday...?!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Even though this is technically a "WANTED" ad I posted it here to create more conversation about what is possibly available. If the Mods want to move it, it's fine.

OK, it's about time I owned a Ludwig related drum that was made on my actual birthday. Not sure it's possible, but I'll ask anyway. Ludwig, Leedy, etc. I don't mind. I would want to see a stamp inside the shell. My birthday is April 21 1955. Anybody?????

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I found an acro last year on ebay, Canadian seller so shipping was high, was going to be like $350 shipped, it was date stamped on my birthday but the month was smudged almost to the "guessing" point. If it had been a clear print I would have had to thought really hard about it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would love a Bday drum. The closest I have is an Acro that is 8-28-69, which is my dad's 24th bday.

But, I have an office stamp from my dad that goes from 1965-1975 (I think - I know for sure it covers '67 and my b-day in '72)........for a small "convenience fee", I will be happy to stamp anyone's drum......and you'll have a birthday drum! And it will make you at least a decade younger, too!

Blisco

Reaction score
I recently saw someone on FB post their blue sparkle Ludwig born 2 days before me. Oh, how I've wanted a blue sparkle Ludwig or Rogers for ages. I almost sent him a message due to its birthday and being that lingering vision of my youthful drumming brain.

AGentry

Reaction score
I found one after looking for several years; a white marine pearl WFL ( Buddy Rich model). It was on Ebay and in great condition. They’re out there; but it might take awhile. Good luck on your search!

Johnny K

Reaction score
Great idea. I was born in 1963. Closest thing I have is a set of 14" Avedis Zildjian hi-hats. Is there a site that will date Gretsch serial numbers like Martin does with their guitars?

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even though this is technically a "WANTED" ad I posted it here to create more conversation about what is possibly available. If the Mods want to move it, it's fine.

OK, it's about time I owned a Ludwig related drum that was made on my actual birthday. Not sure it's possible, but I'll ask anyway. Ludwig, Leedy, etc. I don't mind. I would want to see a stamp inside the shell. My birthday is April 21 1955. Anybody?????
I have one close, but you're not that old! WFL Deluxe Marble Outfit. Written in white on the inside of the bass drum is April 21, 1941. 14 years off. Close, but no cigar. Good luck with your search.

Attachments

thejohnlec

Reaction score
My closest snare is a year and a month off from my birthday. That would be a challenging search but certainly worth it for something so personal - all the best to you!

Gunnellett

Reaction score
It may be difficult to find one if you were born on a Saturday or Sunday unless the drum maker was building and stamping 7 days a week.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score

Gunnellett

Reaction score
No, it was a Thursday. They were most likely producing on that day.
Stretch
Yeah I didn't look at the day of the week for your birthday. I'm just making a general statement of something that could keep someone from finding a drum stamped with their birth date if they happen to have been born on a weekend or during an observed holiday.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
There are date stamps from each day of the week. This analysis is from data supplied by Rick Gier

count : day of week
431 Mon
401 Tue
375 Wed
430 Thu
444 Fri
140 Sat
56 Sun

This doesn't mean that drums were assembled on every day of the week, or that they were date stamped on the day which the date stamp was set to. This was a manual process and anything could happen.

What day of the week did April 41st fall on in 1958 anyway?

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been discussed before, like a needle in a haystack. I found a WFL floor tom in Canada with a date stamp of June 26 1956 (red ink FWIW). My DOB April 16 1956. Yes I bought it and proudly play it. Keep looking Stretch.
Coy

PS My DOB was a Monday.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My stamp goes from 1969-1974........and I can stamp my own DOB. I was born on a Sat. so doubt I will find a drum really stamped on my DOB.

I have a 9/9/59 Slingy snare and a 10/12/60 Ludwig transition badge if anyone has those B-Days.......

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My stamp goes from 1969-1974........and I can stamp my own DOB. I was born on a Sat. so doubt I will find a drum really stamped on my DOB.

I have a 9/9/59 Slingy snare and a 10/12/60 Ludwig transition badge if anyone has those B-Days.......
Same for me, my DOB is 12/04/69, a Saturday. The closest I ever got was an 11/04/71 date on a Ludwig Standard snare & a 1969 Rogers Starlighter that was born in (approximately) the first trimester of that year. & It's our 50th! Party :occasion4:

Latest posts