I'm not a drum solo kind of guy, but this is such a classic, fitting and grooving solo!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just posted this performance last week in some context. Maybe, who was more meat & potatoes?

Absolutely killer performance by all.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just posted this performance last week in some context. Maybe, who was more meat & potatoes?

Absolutely killer performance by all.
Dang, I missed your post. I would never purposefully miss a chance to watch this performance!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dang, I missed your post. I would never purposefully miss a chance to watch this performance!

I only came across this video because my band at the time covered this tune and not very well either I have to admit.

The guitarist sent me this video and asked me to learn it. I knew right off that these guys were on fire. I watch it now and then just for the enjoyment of it.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw them in 1976 or so. Kenny had his tartan set at that time.

I always liked his drumming.

tartan-kit-2-cropped.jpg

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me what Kenny was doing on the snare for that intro. Best I can tell some sort of snare shuffle riding on the right hand (16ths?), and accents with the left. ???

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This tune and Kenny’s solo and Chicago Transit Authority’s version of “I’m a Man” and Danny Seraphine’s solo were directly responsible for my desire to play drums.

I can remember listening to these tunes as a kid over a huge off-white GE AM radio in our kitchen.

Seriously killer energy... Interesting as I listen to them now how they shared certain similarities...

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, liked the energy.
Toms sound really nice! Seems like the sum of the audio is distorted, which adds some crunch. I wonder if it went on air like this or if it happened afterwards.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's the sticking at 4:20? Is it just triplets snare-tom-bass?
And did Kenny play Giant Beats here?
Love the kit.