Importing a snare drum from Japan

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you purchased a drum from a seller in Japan?
I'm curious about how the process went and in particular what all costs are associated with doing that (outside of standard shipping costs) - i.e. Duties, taxes, fees etc.
I'm interested in a snare drum on ebay but the seller is in Japan. Wondering what the extra costs would be to determine if I can afford to purchase or not.

Thanks!

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a snare from a seller in Japan ( japan-made-store) about 2 weeks ago. No issues from the seller and shipped by Fedex, so tracking once it reached the US was available. Shipping was cheaper ($60) coming from Japan than if i shipped to Japan. Ebay also collected sales tax for state of Washington. I did not have any duties or customs fee added.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have bought things from other countries and sometimes I have received a customs bill after the item arrived. Other times the paperwork listing the fees was included with the item.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as custom fees go, since my snare was USA made Rogers, it was returning to country of origin. Perhaps a German or Asian drum might have customs fee. Maybe ask the seller what they expect.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
went round and round but there was some information about recent "Japanese sellers here--->
and how one might work in particular