header.nohb.html

Impression - Leon cymbals ??

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 22” Impression Dry Jazz I purchased from here a good while back that I am quite fond of - although not very “dry” with a good amount of wash (easily tamed down), has a very musical sound to it (2250-ish gr.). Impression is one of those brands you don’t see around much in the US. I would like to add more. I see their website is still active, but the US distributor not so much. A quick visit to their FB page shows them along with Leon cymbals. If I recall correctly, I think Leon was one the the smiths for Impression, or maybe even the owner - I’m not sure. Can anyone here elaborate more on the status of Impression / Leon cymbals? Thanks.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Impression was sold, and is apparently still in operation, with the same shop manufacturing them. Cymbal & Gong imported some Leon cymbals over the past few years-- I've sold a number of them. We visited their shop when I was in Istanbul in July, and they are developing new product. I'm not sure who if anyone in the US is importing/selling them, but I should be able to special order them for you, just let me know.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I assume they kept their Impression name after the buy out? Is Leon cymbals still associated with Impression?

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not clear that the buy out was for anything other than the brand. Leon is the personal line of one of the smiths, it's not connected with Impression as far as I know.

Could you post a picture of your Leon? I wonder if it's the same thing as I played in Turkey. I don't think I got any video of those cymbals. They were like futuristic Bosphorus Masters or something.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the added info. I don’t have a Leon, I have an Impression Dry Jazz 22”. I can get a photo tomorrow if you’re still interested in seeing it.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back in the days of the cymbalholic forums, Kadri Kayan invited me to visit the Impression foundry , early 2013. During this visit, Leon custom-lathed a cymbal for me which has become a go-to jazz ride cymbal.
I remember Impression had a sub-series of Leon cymbals a few years back. I am happy to hear he has his own line now. There is a website with a few demo videos (his Deep ride design seems a bit similar to the cymbal he "tuned" for me).

Bgoods

Reaction score
Back in 2015 I went to Impression twice with Kadri, and spent some time with Leon. This was right after they were done producing the Crescent brand cymbals for Stanton Moore and Jeff Hamilton, so I picked up some of the prototypes they had laying around.
He’s a really warm and sweet guy. I took home a whole bunch of his creations, including the 19” and 23” in the picture. He also made me a really nice Jack D early 80’s Turk clone. His stuff was really diverse, everything from a 1800 gram 22” to heavy 15” rock hi hats.
He’s a heck of a good drummer too!

Attachments

• 1DB54673-D8D2-44C7-AB73-FA52BF7DCDC6.jpeg
    1DB54673-D8D2-44C7-AB73-FA52BF7DCDC6.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 6

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was just talking to Tim @ Cymbal & Gong-- he knows Leon well, and thinks very highly of him. A salesman associated with Brian Blade (road manager?) is going to be representing Leon in the US-- Cymbal & Gong, too.

Back in the days of the cymbalholic forums, Kadri Kayan invited me to visit the Impression foundry , early 2013. During this visit, Leon custom-lathed a cymbal for me which has become a go-to jazz ride cymbal.
I remember Impression had a sub-series of Leon cymbals a few years back. I am happy to hear he has his own line now. There is a website with a few demo videos (his Deep ride design seems a bit similar to the cymbal he "tuned" for me).

Pretty sure that's the same thing I played at the foundry.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Round Sound carries them, too.