Impulse purchase, and a question: Ludwig 95th Anniversary Solid Shell Snare Drum

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
So, I was perusing Reverb last night and came across 3 newly listed NOS Ludwig Anniversary snares: two 90th Ann. (1999) and one 95th Ann. (2004). I must admit that the allure of the 95th was strong, from the cherry stain to the brass hardware. And upon closer inspection of the pics, the 95th appeared to be a solid ply maple shell. I quickly googled for info and found very little, other than confirmation that it was indeed a steambent shell. I figured the drum wouldn't last long, so I threw out what I thought was a reasonable offer, half expecting to be rejected. To my surprise, it was accepted. Hopefully, I'll have it in my hands within a few days. Here's a couple of pics:

1.jpg
2.jpg

And now my question: does anybody have any knowledge about this drum, particularly who made the solid shell for Ludwig? I did learn that our own @mtarrani owned one at one point. Any insight?

Last edited:

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one as well, I do have the info on them, when we get back home I will post what I have.
Beautiful drum, and you have “the” signatures!!!

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your post caused to to check out the many Ludwig anniversary models on Reverb. You got the very best one. That's gorgeous. Both the shell and the rims are very expensive and very desirable soundwise IMO. Most of the anniversary models I saw were mainly about appearance.

Last edited:

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you ready.....
When I did the article for NSMD on the Ludwig Anniversary Snares, I contacted everyone that I could find, Including John Aldridge, Todd Trent, Chuck Heuck, etc... So a big "THANK YOU!" goes out to them on all the wealth of information and history.

The L2004, aka 95th anniversary snare is a one ply solid maple shell with re-rings, cherry stain, uv polyurethane clear coat, single flange hoops, etc... the shell was made in house for this one (as I was told by Chuck Heuck), Ryan Payne did the solid maple 90th anniversary one. It was to be done in the style of the original solid snares, but not with the round-over bearing edge. The Legacy Maple line was already in it's early stages. They made 95 of them, and I try to keep tabs on the ones I see for sale to follow the numbers. I have number 33, which I purchased at Fork's Drum Closet.

Here is the original press release from Ludwig. Also, I have comparisons of the L2004, Bun E's 100th snare, and a WFL 1937 solid one ply maple snare.

Attachments

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are you ready.....
When I did the article for NSMD on the Ludwig Anniversary Snares, I contacted everyone that I could find, Including John Aldridge, Todd Trent, Chuck Heuck, etc... So a big "THANK YOU!" goes out to them on all the wealth of information and history.

The L2004, aka 95th anniversary snare is a one ply solid maple shell with re-rings, cherry stain, uv polyurethane clear coat, single flange hoops, etc... the shell was made in house for this one (as I was told by Chuck Heuck), Ryan Payne did the solid maple 90th anniversary one. It was to be done in the style of the original solid snares, but not with the round-over bearing edge. The Legacy Maple line was already in it's early stages. They made 95 of them, and I try to keep tabs on the ones I see for sale to follow the numbers. I have number 33, which I purchased at Fork's Drum Closet.

Here is the original press release from Ludwig. Also, I have comparisons of the L2004, Bun E's 100th snare, and a WFL 1937 solid one ply maple snare.
Fantastic info - thank you so much! I find it fascinating that Ludwig made these shells in house. I'm guessing that this was the only time they made solid shells in Monroe?

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fantastic info - thank you so much! I find it fascinating that Ludwig made these shells in house. I'm guessing that this was the only time they made solid shells in Monroe?
You are welcome.
And I believe so, other than prototypes that ultimately end up at the Chicago Show. I imagine Bun E could confirm this. But recently, these are the only two years they offered solid ply shells. The only differences I noticed between the 90th and 95th are the re-rings, the thickness and the interior area opposite of the bearing edge seems to be rounded over on the 90th, if that makes sense. But both are 5.5 depth.
I really like the renaissance batter head, the weather master reso, and the puresound wires! That is just a win win!

Reaction score
You are welcome.
And I believe so, other than prototypes that ultimately end up at the Chicago Show. I imagine Bun E could confirm this. But recently, these are the only two years they offered solid ply shells. The only differences I noticed between the 90th and 95th are the re-rings, the thickness and the interior area opposite of the bearing edge seems to be rounded over on the 90th, if that makes sense. But both are 5.5 depth.
I really like the renaissance batter head, the weather master reso, and the puresound wires! That is just a win win!
I own two 95th Anniversary drums, the prototype and a regular issue drum.
Ludwig offered solid shell snare drums from approximately 1998-2005. I have a few.
The 95th Anniversary drums were the last offered, Ludwig had ceased selling solid shell snare drums a few months before this.
The 95th Ann drums have a few flaws: The collar hooks are flimsy and break easily. The drums come with Remo heads because whoever sourced the single flanged hoops screwed up and the hoops are too small for Ludwig drumheads, oops.....
The prototype is a light purple, different than the 95 they issued.
BTW/FWIW; I took my non-photo regular issue 95th Ann drum and put bowtie lugs, regular hoops, and chrome P-86 and butt plate and made the drum a matching player for my mahogany kit.
It sounds frigging great!!

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bun, thank you for the info, you are awesome!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I was perusing Reverb last night and came across 3 newly listed NOS Ludwig Anniversary snares: two 90th Ann. (1999) and one 95th Ann. (2004). I must admit that the allure of the 95th was strong, from the cherry stain to the brass hardware. And upon closer inspection of the pics, the 95th appeared to be a solid ply maple shell. I quickly googled for info and found very little, other than confirmation that it was indeed a steambent shell. I figured the drum wouldn't last long, so I threw out what I thought was a reasonable offer, half expecting to be rejected. To my surprise, it was accepted. Hopefully, I'll have it in my hands within a few days. Here's a couple of pics:

View attachment 496631 View attachment 496632

And now my question: does anybody have any knowledge about this drum, particularly who made the solid shell for Ludwig? I did learn that our own @mtarrani owned one at one point. Any insight?
Quite Amazing.

Love that color... what is it..called or is it called...(cherry stain I see..
Thing just screams Ludwig...and not a metal (for once) shell!

Last edited:

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also like, and this might be trivial, that the millennium throw off has drumkey key rods to hold the snares on instead of Phillips head screws.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful and that case is pretty sweet too!!!

Wayne

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
And so it ends. Received the drum, and it was as beautiful as hoped. As I was changing the heads to Ambassadors top and bottom, I realized that the reso head would not comfortably slide on in certain directions. The spin test failed. Uh oh. So I grabbed a tape measure, went from lug to lug across the bearing edge, and sure enough, the bottom of the shell is 3/16" out of round. Sigh. After talking with the seller, it was agreed that I send it back for a full refund. I really wanted to love this drum, but it just wasn't meant to be.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a shame. I wonder if that happened during storage (stored in a garage or outside shed) or if that was poor quality control from Ludwig.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
What a shame. I wonder if that happened during storage (stored in a garage or outside shed) or if that was poor quality control from Ludwig.
Thanks guys. I wonder if it was storage issue, as well. It appeared completely NOS, but I did notice on the reso side that there was one tightened tension rod pulling the hoop to that side of the shell (all the other tension rods were fairly slack). If it sat like that for 17+ years, that might be the culprit.
But aside from the warped shell, it was beautifully constructed with gorgeous bearing edges.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a shame, signatures and all!

That is something for all of us to keep in the back of our minds, is there a drum tucked away that is not under equal tension? Or, with calf heads not in relative temperature.

Again, sorry to hear.