In Appreciation of Forum Member Bill Bachman

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Over the last several years I've been concentrating on learning guitar and bass pretty heavily, neglecting advancing as a drummer and merely attempting to maintain what I already have. As I've really been attempting to consistently learn new things on guitar and bass, my playing has been steadily improving over the last couple of months. I'm (within reason) competent on bass and am approaching sub-mediocrity on guitar, a huge improvement over my initial painful and fumbling attempts.
A couple of months ago, I decided that I needed to have the same attitude toward the drums. I've always been primarily a groove drummer more concerned with timekeeping than being a technician, and my hands especially could use some work. I bought myself an Ahead practice pad that I could strap on my leg and a pair of sticks and dived into some back issues of Modern Drummer that I keep at work. Some of the most helpful and inspiring lessons have come from our own Bill Bachman, who was pretty active here for a while. Some of his lessons have some pretty tricky sticking with accents falling in places that you wouldn't normally expect them to fall. I've had to take it slowly but I'm starting to see a difference. His Strictly Technique column and Ten Essential Rudiments column have been real eye-openers and have helped me to move beyond my limited repertoire of paradiddles, single strokes and buzz rolls. I'll never cause Thomas Lang or Marco Minneman to lose any sleep, but I AM improving! Thanks, Bill!

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bill's really great. I did a series of Skype lessons with him a few years ago and he really helped me with my grip.