In between sticks and brushes

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need something in between the 2 and not generally a fan of "Hot rods' ...Ideas ? ?

mw13068

Reaction score
I also dislike rods, hot or otherwise. Is this a volume control issue? What is the problem you're trying to solve?

OZjazzer

Reaction score
Mmmm. Lighter sticks and heavier brushes maybe? Rods and all those other inventions make drums and cymbals sound like crap. BTW I’d love to be wrong about this.

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m just looking for a quiet band rehearsal “ stick “ . I can play quiet enough with 5as but it gets old holding back . I shredded my brushes using rimshots on a nice ending fill . Pieces of plastic went everywhere.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate so I'll take the dissenting opinion on "rods"....lol.

Effectively use the ProMark Cool and Hot rods with some minor mods, and the Vic Firth nylon "rods" with the o-ring as is.

Two things I do with the wooden rods-chamfer the tips with sand paper and add two pieces of gaffer tape on them. One about an inch and a half from the tip, and one about midway before the plastic section already there. While you will never get the sound of a wood or nylon stick tip on a cymbal you will get more articulation and better bell response. Sanding the tips helps to keep them from splitting and makes better contact with the drum head. Takes away that awful scratchy sound.

The trick for me is learning to lay more of the rod onto the head-think of hitting the head the same way you hit a cymbal with the shank of a regular stick. Using the rod this way gives a nice authoritative "smack" and good tone.

And yes, I do use them for the dreaded and universally distained boogey-man "Volume Control" lol.

The Vic Firths I use as is with good results.

Rods.....hated second only to Cajons....lol.

Funny thing is-I have never had a civilian come up to me to comlain after using rods or a Cajon at a gig....go figure.

mw13068

Reaction score
I'd rather use light sticks and pull my punches. As a matter of fact I think that's the reason I get a lot of gigs in all the small venues we have in my area. I'm used to playing lightly.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I’m just looking for a quiet band rehearsal “ stick “ . I can play quiet enough with 5as but it gets old holding back . I shredded my brushes using rimshots on a nice ending fill . Pieces of plastic went everywhere.
Vic Firth SD5 Echo
You CAN'T play loud with these.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was on the hunt for something similar a while back and landed on Promark's Broom Sticks. I can sweep with them a little bit, and can get decent strike sounds on everything but ride cymbals. Not great for super loud situations, but I use them with a live band without mics all the time. No issues.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it's just to be quiet at rehearsal then the sound doesn't really matter that much so go with rods.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Wood handle Blastics, man. They're so well balanced, they rebound like sticks, but they're softer. You can swish them like brushes on the snare drum, but you can also groove on a ride cymbal and play backbeats with them. You can flip them around for rim clicks, too. I would never go to a gig without them, for Latin stuff, soft rock stuff, even some jazz stuff.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try a maple stick with a small tip - something like an Echo CWorrick suggested. Light wood, small tip, long taper might do the trick.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Tracktuary

Reaction score
+1 on maple sticks. If you are a 5A guy, get the Vic Firth American Heritage 5As (or a Vater 5A in sugar maple).

Another option is the Vic Firth AJ6. It doesn't feel bad in your hand at 0.550" (i.e., not too skinny), but the extreme tape and small tip really reduce volume and spread.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lidwish sticks? Or maybe Bopworks Birdlands?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never had any issues with my Cool Rods and used them when needed. I also have pairs of very light sticks and brushes. Here's a picture of my "arsenal".

-Mark

Attachments

Latest posts