In ear monitors, who uses them? Recommendations?

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had been using the KZ ZSN which IMO, were the best bang-for-the-buck in the KZ line. After watching Rob Brown's video about the KZ ZSN Pro, I decided to order a pair. These are a definite upgrade from the KZ ZSN. More headroom, and just better overall definition in both highs and lows (to my ears anyway). I've been using them a day and really like them already. For the money, $19.99 - I think you'll find these very hard to beat.

Iristone

Reaction score
Oh, now I'm finally qualified to answer this. :wink:
I used my Shure SE535 which sounds very natural ("flat") for its size/price. The personal mixer was an Axiom programmable one provided by the backline company. Every single thing on stage was put through that (including all drums, bass, snare, toms, OH). I cranked up the lead vocal, set all thw other instruments (including myself) pretty much flat, and I was good to go. :thumbleft:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started with the lower cost universal fit stuff from Shure and M-Audio, upgraded to custom fit dual driver monitors from a fly-by-night company that ended up having terrible customer support and eventually ended up with custom fit JH Audio JH11 monitors (dual lows/mid/high drivers in each ear). I’ve had them for 6-7 years and they still sound fantastic and fit well.

I started out with one of the little Rolls headphone amps and eventually upgraded to a Fischer Amps 00100 hardwired body pack: https://www.amazon.com/Fischer-Amps-Hard-Wired-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00CGUNIJW

The sound quality difference between the Rolls and the Fischer is night and day.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use Ears4U custom moulds with the best wired in-ear monitor one can get, the Shure P9HW.

51FDBA6B-3DFA-4416-B80D-803DDDC10CD4.jpeg

Also beware. Not every monitor tech can work work with inears.

Last edited:

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shure SCL5's which are now the SE535's. I've had mine for 10 years. Still love them.

Dan K

Reaction score
I also use Alclairs! I had used the Ultimate Ears 3-driver IEM's and the step up to the Alclairs in terms of sound quality is AMAZING. I play bass primarily and sometimes fill in on drums so I wanted to get as much clarity in the bass end as was possible and wanted this to be the last pair for a LONG time, so I went with the Spire 6-driver model. The Spires have 4 drivers for the bottom end and the other 2 for mids and highs. If you think that these are "bassy," they are NOT but have a lot of headroom and clarity in the bass - exactly what I wanted. Most of the time I gig with either the Aviom or Beheringer individual mixers - both have 16 channels and you can almost always get the exact mix you want.

FWIW, I use the Spires most of the time when I practice - even if nothing is coming through them. The molds Alclair did were PERFECT and the attenuation is better than my old practice of foam earplugs followed by a set of the ear covers I use for shooting. Probably sounds like overkill but after lots of years of drumming and shooting I don't want to make the tinnitus I have any worse!

I HIGHLY recommend the Alclairs!

Dan

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tried quite a few customs and noncustoms. Now I'm digging the KZ ZS10Pro's, especially for the money. Bought a few extra sets for backup if needed. One thing for certain, if you have a monitor man ensure they know what they're doing. If you're your monitor man then don't forget to check your mixer or IEM's settings before you play coming back from a break. You never know who'll "bump" into your gear while you're in the loo or chatting up that hot brunette. :oops:

Last edited:

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BTW, what tips are you guys using with your IEMs? I've got Comply's Sport Pro series which is supposedly better at handling sweat.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like my Ultimate Ears 6 Pros. Three drivers are more than adequate for me. Great fitting, really nice sounding. Can leave them in for a very long time with no discomfort at all.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh y'all - I popped for the KZ ZS10 Pro. These are the first 5 BA KZ's I've tried. I like them quite a bit so far after one day. Can I really tell a 'huge' difference with 5 BA? Honestly, yes they do sound quite good and balanced, but a huge improvement? to my ears (which are certainly not perfect) - No. For me personally, the KZ ZSN or ZSN Pro (not a huge difference between these) would keep me quite happy. I have discovered I don't like the foam tips and prefer the silicone tips. There's always that desire to upgrade and get something better, as with anything I guess. I'm just wondering how many more drivers, bells, and whistles they can pack into something this small? :cool:

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another vote here for the Shure 535s. I had a small issue with mine but they were under warranty and got them exchanged super quickly, without any issue. To my mind (and ears) they offer excellent clarity and response. Have used them mostly with an Aviom personal mixer and they work great. Tried some of the KZ models - they are a good backup for me but the two I tried (ZST and SE3 I think?) just don't fit/stay in my ears that well, even with after market upgraded foam pieces.