In-Ears, Behringer Mixer, SPD-SX help

Moonman

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been using the SPD-SX live without headphones and just though the monitor wedge.

Now, I'm moving over to trying in-ears (KZ Zs10) along with a Behringer Eurorack B802 mixer. I'm not sure if I need a DI, but suspect I probably will.

Here is what I'm hoping to accomplish:
-Use the in-ears to replace my monitor wedge.
-Control the levels in my in-ear monitors for my own mix (drum levels, SPD-SX samples, click, and other band members)

What I'm really uncertain of is whether I'm overthinking this and if the mixer is redundant, or if the SPD-SX will do this more simply without the mixer.
If not, do I run the SPD-SX directly to the main sound board, bring that signal along with my acoustic drum levels back from the house and plug it into my mixer just as I would using a wedge?

Many thanks for your help!
Chris

electrodrummer

Reaction score
No, you don't need a DI if SPD --> Behringer

You don't need a local mixer if the main desk has a number of monitor outputs to create a submix for you.... but there's nothing wrong with having your own personal sub mixer

Or simply replace the wedge with something like a Behringer P1 and cans/IEMs

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gig with an SPD-SX or a SamplePad + MacBook for Click / Trax etc. I attached a few pix. I personally like to use a small mixer so that I can control individual volume on the fly. I think if you try this you will see the benefit to this set up. I use a Radial D2 DI so I can run trax & SamplePad to the house then THRU to my personal mixer. This way I can tweak my IEM's without affecting what is sent to the house.

Routing:
MACBOOK: headphone jack 1/8" to L&R 1/4" Y-cable out...LEFT Cable to Mixer Channel 1 (Click is on L channel only on trax) RIGHT Cable (Trax only) to DI channel 1...DI THRU to Mixer Channel 2.

SPDSX / SamplePad: MONO OUT to DI channel 2... DI THRU to Mixer Channel 3/4 (On my mixer)

My Mixer is then mapped:

CH 1 = click
CH2 = trax
CH 3/4 = SPDSX / SamplePad
CH 5/6 = IEMs

I like this because I can control each channel individually as needed without affecting what is sent to the Front Of House. On my mixer only CH 1&2 have EQ & gain so I can see how someone may want to route the IEMs there instead of click, but this layout works great for my needs.

Attachments

Moonman

Reaction score
@electrodrummer and @jskdrums -- thanks for taking the time to reply and help me figure this out. The pics and mixing map are super helpful.

I'm pretty close to getting everything straight but I'm going to need to buy a few specific cables.

One last thing, when you run MONO Out from the SPD SX instead of L/R, do you lose any effects or are there any negative implications? Thanks again fellas.
Cheers.
Chris

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@electrodrummer and @jskdrums -- thanks for taking the time to reply and help me figure this out. The pics and mixing map are super helpful.

I'm pretty close to getting everything straight but I'm going to need to buy a few specific cables.

One last thing, when you run MONO Out from the SPD SX instead of L/R, do you lose any effects or are there any negative implications? Thanks again fellas.
Cheers.
Chris
To be honest I never used the effects on my SPD-SX too much. I usually dialed in my samples to sound good in my IEMS at home then store those settings. With my Alesis SamplePad, I do tweak my effects in the live venue I'm playing a bit. I send it out mono & the effects came through just fine. I'm not totally sure on the SPD-SX though...

electrodrummer

Reaction score
I have always mono-ed my edrums for live use - means doesn't matter where in the audience you are. (record in stereo, obs)

Latest posts