In Honor of the DW Acquisition, Lets See Your Slingerland Drum Pics!

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had this drum for 8-10 years - it was a gift from my late father in-law, but I never liked the way it sounded or played, nor did my father in-law - it sounded choked and kind of blah, so it sat in my drum room for years.

I was at DCP a few weeks ago (Nov 16) to see Ronn Dunnett and while there, I bought a used DW Collectors Snare drum (great drum), a used Zildjian 18" CB Low and some Canopus Vintage Snare wire thinking that new wire, along with new heads, would improve the sound of my Slingerland snare. And it did! And a few days later, the announcement that DW had bought Slingerland. Kind of a funny coincidence - to me, anyway.

I don't know much about this drum, other than it's old - maybe early 60s? The batter head was an original Remo Diplomat (according to a friend at Remo) stamped "Carroll Music NYC" and the original snare bottom was a Slingerland Sound King (presumably made by Remo). I put a Coated Ambassador on top and a Diplomat Snare on the bottom and the drum sounds fabulous. Much more open and responsive with a fat/full sound. It has the Zoomatic strainer, which is a great design. I prefer it over the DW strainer on the Collector Series snare. I used the drum on one of my gigs last week and our FOH guy (also a drummer) loved it. I also put Canopus Vintage wire on the DW Collectors Series snare (using snare cord instead of tape) and that was a huge improvement too! In fact, it's my current "go to" snare drum, but I digress...

I grew up in the era when Slingerland was a major player, but I'm admittedly a novice, especially compared to the experts here, so any info anyone can provide on this Slingerland snare drum would be appreciated. Thanks guys/gals, and apologies for the long-winded story!
-John

Slingerland 1.jpeg
Slingerland 2.jpeg
Slingerland 3.jpeg
Slingerland 4.jpeg

Reaction score
Looks like a cool drum John, I have a Radio King that looks just like it (WMP, Gold and Black badge.) Is it a solid shell? I can't tell from the pix.

However, I couldn't disagree with you more about the Zoomatic. I had one on a Slingerland COB Sound King that was constantly loosening, knobs falling off, etc... I finally just replaced it, and dealt with the extra holes. Although I have heard that if you have one that has never been overtightened or abused that "can" be reliable, who knows... I just know that mine drove me nuts, and I vowed to never get another drum with a Zoomatic on it ever again. Slingerland "Three Point" for me on any vintage Slingerland that consider, the Zoomatic is a deal breaker for me.

Although I agree with you, I'm not a huge fan of the DW strainer either, it makes too much noise when you engage it (slap it on.) Man all these opinions on strainers makes me sound like a nutcase, just "strong" preferences I guess. I really have grown to love the Trick, and I still like the Nickel strainers (haven't broke one yet.)

But yes, new heads and wires on a snare can turn it into a new drum, and I've heard very good things about the Canopus wires! I am a firm believer in keeping heads on a snare, and keeping it tuned to where it sounds best (or as I say "where it wants to live,") for a long time. But... eventually, heads just go flat, and lose "it." It's strange but many of us forget about changing heads, and breaking in new heads.

But there is NOTHING like old wood, wood that has dried naturally over time just speaks so well. I don't know the science behind it, I just know what I hear. Those stick saver hoops are probably brass too, which can make a pretty big difference.

The Slingerland-DW thing will be interesting to watch.

Sounds like your father in law knew "a little bit" about drums (ha, sarcasm!) I KNOW he knew A LOT about drums.

Hope all is well!
Mark

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New heads and the Canopus vintage snare wires ( plated) is exactly what I did to my slingerland 60s snare and it transformed the sound, interestingly the Canopus vintage snare wires are modelled after old slingerland snare wires, so they definetly sound best in my opinion ( and after much experimenting) on slingerland snares, at least I know they do on my two. your snare (Johnny D) I think is maybe from the 70s sometime as it has the larger muffler knob, it's an artist model I think others may be able to verify. Solid shell? I can't tell.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first quality kit was my 70's Slingerland chrome over wood double bass drum kit. It's long gone but well remembered. The 22,13,16,14sn WMP kit was restored, enjoyed and eventually sold. Last is a nice 20,12,16 players kit that I still own. Slingerlands's were great drums at a fair price!
GLB 1979A.gif
DSCN0938.JPG
DSC04302A.jpg

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like a cool drum John, I have a Radio King that looks just like it (WMP, Gold and Black badge.) Is it a solid shell? I can't tell from the pix.

However, I couldn't disagree with you more about the Zoomatic. I had one on a Slingerland COB Sound King that was constantly loosening, knobs falling off, etc... I finally just replaced it, and dealt with the extra holes. Although I have heard that if you have one that has never been overtightened or abused that "can" be reliable, who knows... I just know that mine drove me nuts, and I vowed to never get another drum with a Zoomatic on it ever again. Slingerland "Three Point" for me on any vintage Slingerland that consider, the Zoomatic is a deal breaker for me.

Although I agree with you, I'm not a huge fan of the DW strainer either, it makes too much noise when you engage it (slap it on.) Man all these opinions on strainers makes me sound like a nutcase, just "strong" preferences I guess. I really have grown to love the Trick, and I still like the Nickel strainers (haven't broke one yet.)

But yes, new heads and wires on a snare can turn it into a new drum, and I've heard very good things about the Canopus wires! I am a firm believer in keeping heads on a snare, and keeping it tuned to where it sounds best (or as I say "where it wants to live,") for a long time. But... eventually, heads just go flat, and lose "it." It's strange but many of us forget about changing heads, and breaking in new heads.

But there is NOTHING like old wood, wood that has dried naturally over time just speaks so well. I don't know the science behind it, I just know what I hear. Those stick saver hoops are probably brass too, which can make a pretty big difference.

The Slingerland-DW thing will be interesting to watch.

Sounds like your father in law knew "a little bit" about drums (ha, sarcasm!) I KNOW he knew A LOT about drums.

Hope all is well!
Mark
Thanks, Mark. Yes, I believe it's a solid shell. I'm going to inspect it closely, but when I initially took the heads off, it looked to be a solid shell. The Zoomatic strainer is in excellent working condition and very simple and smooth. By contrast, I struggled with the DW strainer. I think I have it dialed in now, but jeez...

My father in-law did indeed know about drums and drum sound. He had a "pretty good" ear ;)

Thanks again for the info!
JD

New heads and the Canopus vintage snare wires ( plated) is exactly what I did to my slingerland 60s snare and it transformed the sound, interestingly the Canopus vintage snare wires are modelled after old slingerland snare wires, so they definetly sound best in my opinion ( and after much experimenting) on slingerland snares, at least I know they do on my two. your snare (Johnny D) I think is maybe from the 70s sometime as it has the larger muffler knob, it's an artist model I think others may be able to verify. Solid shell? I can't tell.
Thanks Drumstickdude. I didn't know Slingerland made solid shells into the 70s, assuming it's a solid shell. I didn't think to ask if him he got it directly from Slingerland, which now that I think about it, is a strong possibility. My guess that it was early 60s was based on the original Remo head and him telling me he's had a long time, which could mean since the 70s. Interesting to know Canopus modeled their vintage wires off old Slingerland wires. I love the Canopus Vintage snare wire and have it on a few drums now. What a huge difference. Might even try the 42 snares for some of my Gretsch snares.

Anyway, thanks again guys and I'll try and find out more about this mystery drum. In the meantime, it's nice to have another snare drum to rotate.

Cheers!

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Damn a bunch of sweet drums. If possible I think it would be smart on DW part to some how put this thread on their website with the Slingerland announcement about how much us old farts like Slingerland still even tho the name has been on and off for the last 20 years.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've had this drum for 8-10 years -
John, to my eyes it looks like a black & brass Niles badge (hard to tell) which would indicate 1960s-era. If so, the large muffler knob may be a replacement.
Definitely an "Artst" model. Earlier examples were solid shells but not all, most later versions were ply shells by the mid 60s and into the 70s . (black & silver badge era)
The interior of my '66 champagne Artist looks the same as yours but it's a ply shell.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
John, to my eyes it looks like a black & brass Niles badge (hard to tell) which would indicate 1960s-era. If so, the large muffler knob may be a replacement.
Definitely an "Artst" model. Earlier examples were solid shells but not all, most later versions were ply shells by the mid 60s and into the 70s . (black & silver badge era)
The interior of my '66 champagne Artist looks the same as yours but it's a ply shell.
Thanks, EvEnStEvEn. I appreciate the info. It's very helpful. I'm going to delve into this drum today and once and for all, determine if it's a solid or ply shell. I admit it's been pure laziness on my part in waiting so long.

The muffler doesn't seem that large (maybe because I'm used to Gretsch mufflers) but I'll take another pic today. Do you think if I send the pics to Rob Cook, he'd be able to pinpoint the date? Thanks again.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it a blk/brass badge?
It may have a date stamp inside, sometimes they're faintly stamped.
Rob will know I'm sure.
Yes, it is a black/brass badge.
I wondered about it being date stamped, but upon inspection I didn't see anything. But I did see that there appears to be a crack along the top re-ring. And it most definitely appears to be a solid shell.
Here are some more pics I took today. I'll send them to Rob too.
Thanks again.
Slingerland badge.jpeg
Slingerland muffler.jpeg
Slingerland solid shell 2 .jpeg
Slingerland solid shell.jpeg

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'm guessing mid-60s John. Those cracks are commonly seen on Slingerland interior plywood shells from that era, nothing to worry about, you can smear a small amount of wood glue into the crack or just leave as-is.

smackshuffle

Reaction score
I thought we had this thread already but I did not find it in a quick search, so lets do it again! In honor of the DW acquisition, lets see your Slingerland drum pics! Maybe the past will give us a glimpse into the brands new future!

To keep it somewhat focused, start with Slingerland drums you currently own and then add the ones you let get away!

Here is my current Slingerland's to get the ball rolling...

1974 WMP goodness (restored)

View attachment 417695

Certainly not rare but oh so sweet, my 1971 Krupa Sound King 130

View attachment 417699

My 1947 Krupa Radio King Tribute, built with a true NOS 6.5" X 14" 1970's solid maple RK shell and genuine Late 40's Cloud Badge

View attachment 417700

smackshuffle

Reaction score
These were let go back in the 90's. My dad picked them up for me. I gigged quite a bit with these late 70s to early 80s. Maybe someone can school me on the stats on this kit.

Slingerland.jpg

This is my first post so I'm already going to break a thread rule and add my current kit which is a Tama Superstar. It's just such a nice shot upstairs at the famous Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village, NYC.

281867_10152312556596633_3090046823097136102_n.jpg

Latest posts