In-Person Drum Instructor - Swinging and Missing

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Something else I'm hoping to get into is to join a community band. It would force the learning of music and get used to performing in public. Practices would be very valuable. I would not want to jump on that on day 1, but I'd like to get there as soon as I can.
That's a really good idea.

Reaction score
I've read this whole thread, and will agree with many of the sentiments. There are thousands of bad teachers out there. Teachers that teach in person and virtually can be good or bad. Yes in person is optimal, but virtual has it's benefits as well. All good players don't always make good teachers and vice versa. What it comes down to, is that teachers teach in "basically" the way they were taught. I had some EXCELLENT teachers along the way.

I am a very good teacher, I have about 50 students, and I do virtual and in person. I teach many adults, intermediate, some beginners, and some advanced students. I have been teaching drums for 25 years, and have been playing for almost twice that. If you want to try a virtual lesson for free, PM me, I'd be happy to help a DFO member get moving in the right direction.

I know finding a good (or great teacher) can be VERY difficult. So I offer myself as a solution, many of my students have been students of mine for several years, and many are in (different types of) bands and achieving their own goals in drumming. I don't have any "teaching videos" on line, but here is my youtube page of me playing.

Mark

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd *really* recommend in-person lessons to start if you're a total beginner. Even if you can only do a few or even just one. (So long as it's a decent teacher).

I started learning bass guitar from scratch a few months ago and I feel like in-person lessons have been crucial. At the very early learning stages before very much muscle memory has been developed bad habits can creep in literally overnight! It happened to me more than once where between lessons I started doing something weird that my teacher quickly fixed the next lesson. And I'm pretty sure these were things that would not be easy for them to have seen on a laptop screen.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read this whole thread, and will agree with many of the sentiments. There are thousands of bad teachers out there. Teachers that teach in person and virtually can be good or bad. Yes in person is optimal, but virtual has it's benefits as well. All good players don't always make good teachers and vice versa. What it comes down to, is that teachers teach in "basically" the way they were taught. I had some EXCELLENT teachers along the way.

I am a very good teacher, I have about 50 students, and I do virtual and in person. I teach many adults, intermediate, some beginners, and some advanced students. I have been teaching drums for 25 years, and have been playing for almost twice that. If you want to try a virtual lesson for free, PM me, I'd be happy to help a DFO member get moving in the right direction.

I know finding a good (or great teacher) can be VERY difficult. So I offer myself as a solution, many of my students have been students of mine for several years, and many are in (different types of) bands and achieving their own goals in drumming. I don't have any "teaching videos" on line, but here is my youtube page of me playing.

Mark
Thanks, I appreciate this.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd *really* recommend in-person lessons to start if you're a total beginner. Even if you can only do a few or even just one. (So long as it's a decent teacher).

I started learning bass guitar from scratch a few months ago and I feel like in-person lessons have been crucial. At the very early learning stages before very much muscle memory has been developed bad habits can creep in literally overnight! It happened to me more than once where between lessons I started doing something weird that my teacher quickly fixed the next lesson. And I'm pretty sure these were things that would not be easy for them to have seen on a laptop screen.
Agreed.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just attended a free group lesson over video. The instructor was great and I think doing that as my personal lessons would "work" but certainly not like in-person. I know most of you feel the same way, but I did want to mention it. As I mentioned above (somewhere), I have a local in-person who is supposed to contact me back and if it doesn't work I'll then do exploratory lessons online to ensure we click one-on-one, they know how to lie and tell me how awesome I am, and so on.

bjisteve

Reaction score
I suspect that whether video lessons would work depends a lot on whether the teacher is experienced and comfortable teaching remotely. I just started lessons with Rick Dior. He immediately identified some issues with my technique and started working on them with me. He is very good at what he does (playing and teaching) and that makes a big difference. In-person would obviously be ideal, but I'm glad to have access to such an accomplished and capable teacher from my little hideout in the woods.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that whether video lessons would work depends a lot on whether the teacher is experienced and comfortable teaching remotely. I just started lessons with Rick Dior. He immediately identified some issues with my technique and started working on them with me. He is very good at what he does (playing and teaching) and that makes a big difference. In-person would obviously be ideal, but I'm glad to have access to such an accomplished and capable teacher from my little hideout in the woods.
Most likely so. Obviously, I'd have to do my part as well.