In praise of the 26" bass drum

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My 7yo was on his drum kit today, and I was on mine. I wish I could remember what he said, but he definitely noticed the difference between his (18") bass drum and the 26. "Why is your bass drum so much beefier" isn't the exact words he said, but he got out from behind his kit to come over and check out the difference.

Which is kinda funny - I'm not looking for boom (obviously) but I do like a nice deep Whomp! And I feel like my attack to thud ration is a little out of balance from the drivers seat.

Last edited:

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ever since seeing Stanton Moore's Tam-Tam festival performamce I've wanted to run a right side 26" bass drum with a remote pedal to have the option for that bombastic whomp that you speak of. I have to admit, it looks pretty bad ass too.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My son thinks the shu mount makes it look like the Millennium falcon

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a double-bass set with a pair of 26's... love 'em.
There's just something special about playing a beefy double-head 26" bass that brings happiness to my being!!! :wav:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
When I first got the 32" bass drum (now gone) - he was about 4, and he would climb inside it.

Also the guy I bought that 32" off of actually had a set of double 32"s. He said he didn't actually play them - but it was part of the band schtick and they used it as a projector screen.

Browny

Reaction score
You just need some space for the low end waves to develop!

I’m in the process of trying to quasi-soundproof the old weatherboard bungalow out the back of my place.
It’s a really small room, significantly smaller than the rehearsal rooms my band normally uses, and when I put the 26” inside and added a little external muffling and kicked it everything sounded thin and fairly high in pitch.
I’m used to it being a huge presence... I might need to re-evaluate my tuning principles while I’m isolating at home. Or maybe I need to reposition the kit in the room...

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I loved my 26 when I owned a kit with one. Sold it to get other drums, but will definitely buy a kit with one when I get the chance.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always liked the reflex feel of a 26" head and the balance of the beater extended further up to hit that size head closer to the middle. And everyone the heard them said they could feel it in their gut.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I don't mind the slow beater - my foot can't keep up with some of the crazy stuff people do on single pedals. But the beater swingback is pretty crazy, and I have Tama CB90F heads on there which are sorta light weight.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I love my 26's.
I tried for a while to go with my 24" bass drums, but, after a while I just went back to the 26.

With the attack/tone ratio, I'd try a single ply coated head on the front. That will smooth out some of the high end.
If you really like the look of both sides with clear heads, try a clear 2 ply front head.
Remo's are a little brighter, Aquarian are a little deeper sounding. I haven't used an Evan's to compare.
Over the years I have tried out a jillion different combos of clear, coated and smooth white/ebony heads haha!

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You just need some space for the low end waves to develop!

I’m in the process of trying to quasi-soundproof the old weatherboard bungalow out the back of my place.
It’s a really small room, significantly smaller than the rehearsal rooms my band normally uses, and when I put the 26” inside and added a little external muffling and kicked it everything sounded thin and fairly high in pitch.
I’m used to it being a huge presence... I might need to re-evaluate my tuning principles while I’m isolating at home. Or maybe I need to reposition the kit in the room...
No....just get a 28" !

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite bass drum I have ever owned was a 26x16 Ludwig Classic Maple. Kind of a beater drum but what a sound it made. I would love to go back to a 26" but I have been trying to get Jenkins Martin to make one for a while, actually just stalking them from a distance, because if they actually built one then I would have to come up with money for one.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 26" X 16" BD, unported, no dampening except a "FALAM" patch on the batter head, REMO heads, nothing but spurs on it, and that lovely drum is bombastic & sounds beautiful. Itt took me about a year to fully tame it & really get us both dialed in, but have mercy! It sounds so good !

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I used to know a guy who needed to replace his '62 Ludwig kit. It was just flat worn out.
The kit he ended up with was a Ludwig Classic Birch 18/12/14/14x5.
His scene was mostly Jazz, blues and country.
He felt the 18 and the 14x5 were both a little lacking in some situations, so augmented his kit with a 14x8 and a 26" bass drum, both Classic Maples.
After that, he was very happy...

Ludwig_ClassicBirch_01.JPG

Ludwig_ClassicBirch1214Toms_ClassicMaple24x14BD.JPG

...:thumbup: