In praise of the Acrolite

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had an audition for a hard rockin blues band last night, house kit, snare was a beat up acro with a well worn head.
Messed with the tuning, backed off a couple rods and launched into the jam.
That drum had a crack that was just beautiful!
Needless to say it set the tone for my playing all night!

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had one a few years back but only used it as a backup, never really played it in a band setting.

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like mine. It sounds good in a variety of situations and dynamic levels. Responds nicely to brushes, has a decent tone when played quietly, and has a nice crack when hit with a rimshot.

5stroke

Reaction score
I've used my 70's Acro for almost every rehearsal and gig since I bought it 4 years ago. I have a Pearl steel sensitone for really louder gigs. I always hope to use a $500 Sonor snare I bought--but the Acro is such a safe bet, I end up leaving the Sonor alone.
The Acro's light weight makes it easy to lug around in it's soft case; it's easy to control the sound which fits with most styles I play.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Best sounding 14 I've ever heard was an acro with an Evans coated dot head. And it actually had the tuning written on it but it was before I knew what the numbers meant. Then some [person] took it off and put pintechs and gen16's on the whole kit.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate what the Acrolite brings to the table but for me personally Ludwig snares begin and end with the Black Beauty especially the 5” model .

I have owned a couple of Acrolites but sold them once I got a Black Beauty .

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I totally hear you! I like the slight sloppiness of the Acro. Any of my aluminium Ludwig snares are great for blues gigs. Recently I've been gigging with my aluminium Standard & much like the Acro it's great for backbeats without being overbearing .

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the Honda of snare drums, it is an amazing drum. I don't think any brand has had such a successful snare as Ludwig has had with the Acro.....great design, P85/P83, cheap (or USED to be!), and great low, mid and high tones........and a muffler is a bonus!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
It is the Honda of snare drums. The same people turn up their nose at it as did 40 years ago because it was considered pedestrian, but it's now become way more expensive than it was when it acquired it's reputation as a good deal.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had at least 7/8 through out the years and have loved everyone of them. Have one now and still never ceases to amaze me the tones I get out of it. It’s not my main gigging snare but it’s the daily driver in my home kit.

853guy

Reaction score
A 5" Keystone badge Acro rearranged my preconceptions about snare drums.

It was crazy light, not pretty, not deep, and well-made but not impressively so.

But despite it's humble status, I used it for just about everything. Indie pop/rock, jazz, post-rock, dirty blues, experimental stuff... I could tune it up or down while retaining sensitivity, and always get a really cranky cronk or subtle thud that recorded amazingly well and projected with body live. It felt great under the stick (one of the things I appreciated most) and was really fun to play.

It could never be my only snare, but for anything that doesn't require the stately elegance of the BB, or the outright cut of a COB, it's a gem.

I only wish the 6.5" sounded anywhere near as good as the 5". It doesn't and that's a crying shame.

Best,

853guy

T-Dub

Reaction score
I have 2 early 70's Acros.... one tuned medium high and one way low. They're excellent drums and at the price we can have several tuning options in the stable for the price of one high-end drum!

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i had one 5x14 never did it for me .... traded it for cymbals
forum member shuffle had a 6.5 that sounded great .... i would buy another one though , but it would have to be the 6.5