In praise of the Acrolite

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Collecting and playing them for 50 yrs gigged regularly along with Supra 400, 402. Ludwig sound never disappoints. Latest addiitions to the herd Sept '69 and Feb '70 B/O w raw aluminum shell, fine drums.
View attachment 516838
Wow, I've never seen a raw aluminum B/O. Beautiful. My keystone is by far my fave Acro I've played, something about that pre-finished era that stands out to me.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
It is the Honda of snare drums. The same people turn up their nose at it as did 40 years ago because it was considered pedestrian, but it's now become way more expensive than it was when it acquired it's reputation as a good deal.
You nailed it. I had a black galaxy model for sale a couple of months ago and posted it on Facebook in Ludwig group. Some guy got all nasty about it being a "$60 drum" or something and I was asking way too much (I think it was $199). I responded nicely but pointed him to go look at the market. Where else can you get this quality of drum, made in the US, for less than 2 bills? Not many choices out there.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Timely topic.... I just cleaned up my '64 Acro and played it again for the first time in ages. Less smoothness(?) compared to my 402 but a lot of personality. I brought it as a backup snare for a gig once years ago and tried it after my main wasn't sounding quite right and in that venue it was pure magic. The very next gig at a different venue it wasn't happening though and it went back to back-up status pretty much until this week.

PXL_20210908_164155979.PORTRAIT (1).jpg

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
You nailed it. I had a black galaxy model for sale a couple of months ago and posted it on Facebook in Ludwig group. Some guy got all nasty about it being a "$60 drum" or something and I was asking way too much (I think it was $199). I responded nicely but pointed him to go look at the market. Where else can you get this quality of drum, made in the US, for less than 2 bills? Not many choices out there.
It's definitely one of the few. The Pearl Sensitones give you a few options in this price range two. Even the BNOB Sensitone Elites are occasionally on the market for well under $200. Between my Acrolite and my BNOB Sensitone, I really don't need any other snares.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ludwig wanted students to have a solid foundation to start out on.
They could sell them a Supraphonic later on.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aluminium is the maple of metal shells: you really can't beat a nice aluminium snare. And it's not everyday that you see such a good snare drum on a house kit. Enjoy!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Acrolite?
Yes.
It’s got the word “lite” in its name because it’s so Heavy.
Consider this: For the price of a Noble & Cooley drum key or A&F snare cord you can get the GREATEST SNARE DRUM OF ALL TIME.

Instant Playa status. This is what I look like when I bang my Acro:

54D77F52-8F7F-4139-9F9D-70C19C556728.png
You boutique guys might not be able to handle it, and by that I mean me and my Acro. But by all means get something with a monogrammed case and papers of authenticity.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the Honda of snare drums. The same people turn up their nose at it as did 40 years ago because it was considered pedestrian, but it's now become way more expensive than it was when it acquired it's reputation as a good deal.
If you break it down it's the exact same drum as the top of the line Jazzfest sans the shell (and wires in some cases) Same Hoops, same 8 lug design and bowties ,rods, muffler and heads. Most entry level and student drums of the era as in the Pioneer only had 6 lugs.