In praise of the Acrolite

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
1968 Acro 1.jpg

Here is my 68 Keystone I picked up a while back. Absolutely love it. Mint except the original owner engraved his name and drivers license number on the shell. It is very small and hard to see uness you are close to the drum. My son has a 76 B/O Acro that we refurbished together. We both love these drums.

Ralph27

Reaction score
Just picked this up for pretty cheap but not sure about the date. Any info you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Did some digging on the web but came up empty. Here's a pic with the serial number.
And btw, this is the first one I bought. I can see now why so many of you love it! Thanks in advance.
F274F25F-255F-4A6E-8936-3D98492236A9.jpeg

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I know I've relayed this story before, but here goes again:

I owned a drum shop for 10 years. Every time we got a beat-up old Acro in on trade (or cash off the street), we would give it a cursory cleaning up, new heads and wires (only if really needed), tune it up and then conduct a completely un-scientific "blind-fold" test. One of us would stand around the corner, while another would tap on each of the considerable number of snares we had in stock -- some costing as much as $1000.
Every time, the Acro would win. Often with dubious, barely usable heads and wires.
Every time we would exclaim "You just can't kill an Acro!"
One of the things I kept from those days (we closed in 2018) was a sixties polished aluminum Acro. I put imperial lugs on it just for kicks. (Don't get all huffy, it's easy enough to put back the bow-ties.)

IMG_6617.jpg

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know I've relayed this story before, but here goes again:

I owned a drum shop for 10 years. Every time we got a beat-up old Acro in on trade (or cash off the street), we would give it a cursory cleaning up, new heads and wires (only if really needed), tune it up and then conduct a completely un-scientific "blind-fold" test. One of us would stand around the corner, while another would tap on each of the considerable number of snares we had in stock -- some costing as much as $1000.
Every time, the Acro would win. Often with dubious, barely usable heads and wires.
Every time we would exclaim "You just can't kill an Acro!"
One of the things I kept from those days (we closed in 2018) was a sixties polished aluminum Acro. I put imperial lugs on it just for kicks. (Don't get all huffy, it's easy enough to put back the bow-ties.)

View attachment 517525
Some stories are worth retelling, and this is certainly one of them.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just picked this up for pretty cheap but not sure about the date. Any info you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Did some digging on the web but came up empty. Here's a pic with the serial number.
And btw, this is the first one I bought. I can see now why so many of you love it! Thanks in advance. View attachment 517518
80s era, the badge and battleship gray painted shell are the tells.

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
And btw, this is the first one I bought. I can see now why so many of you love it! Thanks in advance. View attachment 517518

I have one of these from the late 80s. I wouldn't call them "rare", but you don't see a lot of them for sale. The orange peel texture is an odd finish, especially since it covers the bearing edges. Still sounds great like an Acrolite should.

853guy

Reaction score
I was once in a band that was a cross between Johnny Cash and QOTSA. I hit pretty hard - like, rimshots-all-night 5B stick-splintering levels - and I did find my 5" Acro with stock hoops would be prone to choking.

My fix was to cut a 1.5" hole in the snare-side head, about an inch in from the edge, perpendicular to the snare wires. It just opened up the drum again and gave it some extra headroom. Sensitivity and tone were unaffected.

That is all.

853guy