In Praise of the Danmar Zoro Beater

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here’s a good opportunity to plug the artist bd beater from my friend Zoro that I have used for over 20 years. I picked up a lightly used Tama Speedcobra from kickassdrummer (A+ seller btw) recently. I’ve been a DW 5000 user for years. Large adjustments are coming to my playing, mainly remembering to relax my foot and not play with as much tension as I have to with the DW. Anyway, with the silky smooth lighter feel, I was losing volume comparatively. Switched up the Tama beater to the Zoro beater. It is the great equalizer. I’m still learning how to finesse this pedal the best, but the volume is covered much better than stock. Any insights for those that may have transitioned to this pedal?

Attachments

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep, RickP turned me onto them a few years back and I can't imagine using anything else. Nice, solid thump!!!
copy.jpg

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
The Danmar Zoro bearer is fantastic . I pretty much use it for everything , even feathering the bass drum for Big Band gigs . It can do the big thump right down to just being felt rather then heard .
My second choice is the Danmar jR Robinson square red wood beaten - I will occasionally swap out the Zoro for these when I want to get really loud and punchy .

chappy

Reaction score
I've used my Zoro beater for several years now and never leave home without it.

Browny

Reaction score
I’ve worn down a massive flat side on a Danmar hard white felt beater... I guess that’s got to be kind of similar

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Square beaters are intriguing. I’ve never used one for concern of premature head wear if the pedal/beater gets “off axis” and makes head contact with the edge of the square rather than the flat face. Especially so with the Danmar JR wood beater.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Square beaters are intriguing. I’ve never used one for concern of premature head wear if the pedal/beater gets “off axis” and makes head contact with the edge of the square rather than the flat face. Especially so with the Danmar JR wood beater.
You have to just make sure that it hits flat. Sometimes you have to lift the spurs a little on the bass drum (I do it anyway). However, you have a lot more surface area hitting the bass drum head...I find the sound to be much fuller and fatter. It don't wear a head out any faster/slower than any other beater. I do use a patch on the head, but I have done that for 40+ years.