In praise of the humble Acrolite

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This one sold recently in the marketplace is on eBay maybe a new worlds record !
Look at this on eBay

Can someone please shed some light as to why this acrolite is going for as high as it is?

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can someone please shed some light as to why this acrolite is going for as high as it is?
No idea. Sure, it looks clean, but it's a freakin' Acrolite for sheeet's sake. While I'm happy the seller made money, it certainly shouldn't mean that any vintage 5x14 Acrolite should or will sell for this much. As least I hope not.

Stretch

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
You have die hard Acro collectors out there that want to collect the entire library , that 1970 was a pivotal yr , 1st run serial numbered blue/olive badge with the last of the unpainted raw aluminum shells from the script era. A tough one to find in ex cond. Whats 500 bucks if it makes you happy. Hail to the Acro!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Acrolites

1. 60s Keystone badge model, dead mint with Ludwig Script logo tombstone-shaped case

2. B/O 70's model

3. 80s Black Galaxy model with original imperial lugs

Never cared for any of them, tonally. Sold 'em all for 100 each.

jb78

Reaction score
I'm bumping back this older thread. Are there many on the forum who prefer Acros to Supras?

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm bumping back this older thread. Are there many on the forum who prefer Acros to Supras?
To me they are different tools. I like both equally, because they are versatile yet different. I have at least one, if not both, at every gig I play.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an early 70s LM400, no pitting, looked gorgeous. However, it always souned thin to me. All top end, no meat. I finally sold it after owning it for nearly 20 years. I've owned several Acros, still own two that are keepers. My 2014 LM402 on the other hand is a keeper.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Anyone experiment with changing from the stock snare wires, and if so, get any great results?
I seem to prefer more snare wires.
A smoother snare sound, maybe a little more sensitive and it can dry out a wet drum slightly.
I like 42 strand snares...and Ludwig's tend to have a wide snare bed, which is a very inviting spec to use a 42 strand snare on.

Elvis

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had an early 70s LM400, no pitting, looked gorgeous. However, it always souned thin to me. All top end, no meat. I finally sold it after owning it for nearly 20 years. I've owned several Acros, still own two that are keepers. My 2014 LM402 on the other hand is a keeper.
Funny, I had a late 70's 400 that sounded that way to me - not much body... A few years later I picked up a '71 and it has that fatness that was missing from the first one I had.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my fifty-some-odd years of sitting behind the kit ... I've owned more Acrolites and Supras than I can recall ... I kept hoping that the next one would be the "one" that hit that sound. None have hit.

Please understand ... I'm quite adept at drum tension and snare set up ... though I have fallen off two different turnip trucks, neither incident occurred within the scope of recent events.

I realize this puts me in a very very very small exclusive club ... my guess is we will never have cool hats or jackets.

I sat and pondered this for quite a while ... I think I finally came up with the "main" reason ... though there are several that float nearby.

The lack of body is the main reason.
They sit in a strange place in the mix ... there's an almost hollowness to the sound.

Over many many years, I've had issues with them when I've done sessions and they were present. I consistently ended up replacing them with a different snare.

I've kind of abstained online from vocalizing this due to the universal love for the drums. I figured I could weigh in here ... might regret it eventually ... but I'm hoping that one of you will send me your "can't miss" snare as a gift to prove a point.
I can message my shipping address ...

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
In my fifty-some-odd years of sitting behind the kit ... I've owned more Acrolites and Supras than I can recall ... I kept hoping that the next one would be the "one" that hit that sound. None have hit.

Please understand ... I'm quite adept at drum tension and snare set up ... though I have fallen off two different turnip trucks, neither incident occurred within the scope of recent events.

I realize this puts me in a very very very small exclusive club ... my guess is we will never have cool hats or jackets.

I sat and pondered this for quite a while ... I think I finally came up with the "main" reason ... though there are several that float nearby.

They sit in a strange place in the mix ... there's an almost hollowness to the sound.

Over many many years, I've had issues with them when I've done sessions and they were present. I consistently ended up replacing them with a different snare.

I've kind of abstained online from vocalizing this due to the universal love for the drums. I figured I could weigh in here ... might regret it eventually ... but I'm hoping that one of you will send me your "can't miss" snare as a gift to prove a point.
i'm with you .... i had one , traded it a few years ago , i never could get a sound that i liked out of that drum ....

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score

This is part of the Acro's mystique ... and partly the reason so many of us have owned ( past tense ) so many of them .

A good friend of mine , first call Canadian drummer for decades ( from Cockburn to Koffman ) uses an acrolite exclusively live and for recording and he really gets something happening with that drum .

I went to see him here in Ottawa at the Rainbow and didn't have the heart to tell him it sounded like cr*p . My own experience in that club is that the absorbent materials around the stage suck high end definition out of metal shelled snares . This is one of the reasons I found the Acrolite to be unpredictable OCCASIONALLY , regardless of the heads or tuning . I suppose I'm trying to get every Acro to be a Gretsch 4108 . Not all aluminum drums are the same , some are more equal than others .

There is no cure ....... I'm horny for another one .

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
The only two Supras I've ever owned, and got rid of, and wish I had kept, were 6.5x14 with a B/O badge. One was mint when I got it for $175 fourteen years ago; the other was a converted SuperSensitive so there were extra holes that I got for $75. They both were wonderful. I haven't met a 5x14 that was a favorite, and that includes getting my hands on a COB one.
Acros? Too tinny for my ears/hearing. And I'm including any era, from Keystone thru Black/Olive. My favorite was a Blacrolite, but even that I sold.
Right now I'm settling on a 1984 6.5x14 BronzePhonic I recently got here on DFO, and it too started out as a SuperSensitive so it has extra holes. I'll try and keep this one.
Stretch

Latest posts