In search of a new ride

scheme

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm looking out for a new ride cymbal. My current setup is a set of 2002 cymbals (14/16/18/22), which I deeply love soundwise and for heavier rock stuff.

BUT I would like to have an alternative for the 22 ride (the normal one) for, let's say, more cultivated situation. So less hi-fi, more complexitiy and darkness, a tad of dirt and smoke would be nice. Less rock, more jazz, although I'm not looking for a dedicated jazz ride. Generally, it should sound very "musical". As stated, my intent is to use it in lower to medium volume settings for quieter stuff.
Builtwise, it should be on the larger side, usually 22" is my sweet spot, but afterall, the sound is what matters. And it should definitly be thinner and more crashable than my current ride. Last but not least, it should blend nicely with my current setup.

I have already tried a Giant Beat 20" which definitly points in the right direction, but wasn't for me, as it was too washy for me. Any suggestions?

Would the 22" GB have less wash?
Or would the Big Beats fit my needs?
Any other ideas? Maybe a B20 cymbal? Would that blend with my B8 setup?

Looking forward for your experiences and suggestions!

Edit: Forgot to mention, that I once owned a wonderful 22" K Custom Dark Ride, which I sold out of stupidity. This would be a great example, besides that it didn't went well with the rest of the setup, if this is any help.

Last edited:

drummerfriend

Reaction score
Food for thought since you are already in the Paiste world...

- Signature Traditionals
- Heavier would be Dark Energy (not as crashable as the Trads)
- Masters Dark Ride

Reactions: Row

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest looking at the Dark Energy MKI & MKII Rides. The 22" MKII I have is similar to what you are describing.

Reactions: Row

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The ominous Dark Light ride come to mind. Or the 2002 Dry ride, should've grabbed the one I played at a shop once.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ominous Dark Light ride come to mind. Or the 2002 Dry ride, should've grabbed the one I played at a shop once.
Wish I still had my 2oo2 Dry Ride. That was a very interesting cymbal.

bubo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it should definitly be thinner and more crashable than my current ride. Last but not least, it should blend nicely with my current setup.
My recommendation for the above mentioned charcteristics would be 24" Fo602 Classic (Medium Ride) or Fo602 Modern Essentials (Ride)

You should take a look at the Paiste Website and enter the "Sound Room" where you can put different Cymbals and compare.
Would never use this as an absolute desicion maker because we don´t know the sticks, room and recording-enviroment.

For the pure comparison to get an idea what direction to go it´s absolutely helpfull, right that you could put your 2oo2 Ride in for reference.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My suggestions:

24" Giant Beat (darker and less perceived wash than the 20")
21"/22" Dark Energy

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a bit unconventional, and I have the 22, 20, 24 2002's. I feel the ride is the only weakness in the 2002 class, but it sounds better recorded than in my face, especially the 24.
I've been using a 20 GB multi as a ride while I work on learning to play L footed, and i really like it for a ride. I find it darker, and even more complex than .y DE's.
The 20 is more of a crash though.
If i can adjust to this left foot thing, and was going to go with a new ride, I'd give that 26 inch GB a shot. I even find the 24 is a bit light, but a great explosive crash, and a very good ride.
Just throwing it out there

scheme

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll definitly hace a closer look on the DEs, as many of you have mentioned them, as well as the bigger GBs.
Additionally, I checked out the sound room and another candidate drew my attention: The 24" Big Ride could be, what I'm looking for.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
One of my favorite cymbals I own is the 22” Zildjian K Light ride. It’s dark and smoky, great crash sound, great stick sound. I use it more like a crash ride with my current band which is alternative/indie rock type of stuff. Not loud enough to be my main ride but I love having it on the stand when the quiet pulled back parts of the songs come up.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll definitly hace a closer look on the DEs, as many of you have mentioned them, as well as the bigger GBs.
Additionally, I checked out the sound room and another candidate drew my attention: The 24" Big Ride could be, what I'm looking for.
There’s a great drummer here in Austin that uses the 24 2002 all the time for country and rock gigs. He doesn’t really hit that hard, never slams or bashes. That cymbal works well for him, I’ve sat in and liked it, not my thing but I get it.

Reaction score
If you want to stick with Paiste, than I'd say the Dark Energy's have you covered.

Personally I'm a fan of the Istanbul Agop's for this sort of stuff. The 30th Anniversaries are really special, and fit your description quite well, but they are a bit pricy. Alternatively, Zildjian K Con 22', med thin low is also a good choice - that was my main for a long time and it fits your description pretty well, plus can do a pretty thunderous crash if you play it right. The other Zildjian's like K's, Kerope etc are good but won't be as complex/versatile in my experience. That's where the K Con's shine... but again, I find I am using the Agop's a bit more as they're just a bit more refined.