In search of possibilities for a Rogers rewrap

Base

Reaction score
A friend of mine has recently acquired a 69 (?) Rogers set in sky blue pearl (I think that's what it's called). Unfortunately the floor Tom is badly cracked (he knew before buying). I wonder if there might be a wrap that's currently available and an as close as possible match? Suggestions of those who know more than me are warmly welcomed...thanks I'm advance (the set is in Europe btw. in case that does make a difference)
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-11 at 15.31.16.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-11 at 16.06.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-11 at 16.08.07.jpeg

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to just "fill in" whatever gaps there are with some filler material. I doubt anything can match this drum - especially with having 50 yrs of "aging" to the finish. It probably
matches the other 2 drums as well. It's a worthy player. For me, I leave them that way. Tight cracks don't bother me much.....but larger gaps do. The pearl and sparkle finishes are easier to "fill in."
This striped, multi-color wrap is much more difficult. My ham n' eggs approach might be to get some various colors of epoxy/glue/plastic cement....mix colors and spread in.

flatwins

Reaction score
I'd be tempted to just "fill in" whatever gaps there are with some filler material. I doubt anything can match this drum - especially with having 50 yrs of "aging" to the finish. It probably
matches the other 2 drums as well. It's a worthy player. For me, I leave them that way. Tight cracks don't bother me much.....but larger gaps do. The pearl and sparkle finishes are easier to "fill in."
This striped, multi-color wrap is much more difficult. My ham n' eggs approach might be to get some various colors of epoxy/glue/plastic cement....mix colors and spread in.
I’ve seen Joe Mekler’s work on this type of fill in work. He does a great job.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, that does look like Blue Strata Pearl to me as shown in the '67.

I think that would be a pretty tough "fill in" because of all the crazy colors going on. I dont know if it would ever look right. If that were my drum, I would probably just look at all the wrap vendors and try to find one that is reasonable close.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rogers "Strata" finishes were about the same as Ludwig's "Oyster" wraps. There was a slight difference between the two, though. The Strata wraps were notorious for splitting and cracking! A few cracks are OK, but when they multiply, it becomes difficult to deal with them. Most times, filling them in can be an impossible task!

Not many choices here. I don't believe that anyone is producing a Blue Oyster/Strata finish these days. Jack Lawton offered it, but many years ago!

Attached is a picture of a tom, from a Rogers Londoner kit, I had many years ago. The cracking on this tom was the least of all the drums! It was so bad that I had all the shells stripped!

-Mark

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would Bumwraps be able to do a reasonable facsimile of that wrap for you?