In the Market for a new drum throne

*Shane*

Reaction score
I’m a Ludwig Classic Maple guy and just ordered my third new CM kit in my favorite sizes, 20/14/12, along with a new Pearl Eliminator p-2052b belt drive double pedal, Eliminator h2050 two leg hi hat stand, all new Pearl hardware and new Zildjian Custom K Dark cymbals & hats.

The last thing for me to buy is a new throne. At the moment I’m really interested in the Roc N Soc Nitro but my only reservation is the fact that it bounces. Has anybody had any experience with the Roc N Soc? If so, I’d like to see what the verdict is and I’m also open to other brand suggestion. Thanks!

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Roc n Soc is great. You won't notice any bounce unless your an "active" player. Think of it more as a shock absorber. I added the back rest since I have back issues so I can lean back between songs when practicing. Ive had mine for 15+ yrs and it's still in great shape.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Pork Pie hydraulic tractor throne was a fantastic investment. Got it used from a friend a decade ago. Gigged the crap out of it & it's still like new. About the same bounce as a Roc n' Soc (you don't really notice it). Highly recommended!

Rmgreg

Reaction score
My Pork Pie hydraulic tractor throne was a fantastic investment. Got it used from a friend a decade ago. Gigged the crap out of it & it's still like new. About the same bounce as a Roc n' Soc (you don't really notice it). Highly recommended!
I think they look almost identical to roc n soc

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the bounce/flex of the nitro shaft, helped my back tremendously. 2 hour sets piece a cake.
A very well made/durable throne

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Soundseat - not exactly the most compact throne even with the breakdown model so I would suggest the retro fit top and use it on your own base. I ended up with the Nitro and put the seat plate on my Soundseat and use it with the Nitro base.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Roc N Soc nitro has been my main throne for about 15 years . I have had other thrones as well ( Tama, Pearl, New Rogers) but to me , nothing beats the Roc N Soc Nitro with the backrest .

Pearl had brought out a new line of hydraulic thrones that are quite nice with aluminum struts to keep weight down . They are less expensive than the Roc N Soc but very good quality .

pjmariner

Reaction score
I just went down the drum throne road, tried and looked at a lot of them. I can’t really get into the tractor style seat, so I narrowed it down to pork pie, 1st chair Xl, and a Gibraltar softy. I choose the softy, the stand is bulletproof proof and of the three it was most comfortable. In honesty any of those 3 would have been fine. The softy was the cheapest of the bunch as well. I am about 235lbs to if that weighs into your choice. It did for me, I knew I wanted a screw type spindle and very solid locking throne, base, etc. again, of the 3 above they were all rock solid when locked down. I can and I have played thrones that wiggle or bounce, and it definitely impacts my foot work. I can still play on them but it certainly better when the throne is totally stable.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big plus for the nitro , the hyraulic tube is stainless steel which means no pile of black metal dust when you remove the seat. I noticed this black metal powdery mess the other day when I removed the seat off my Pork Pie spindle throne , which fortunately I only use for rehearsal so its stays set up 99 percent of the time. I recall this problem with my old Tama spindle throne as well, black stuff everywhere (wtf!)

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pearl had brought out a new line of hydraulic thrones that are quite nice with aluminum struts to keep weight down . They are less expensive than the Roc N Soc but very good quality .
Wow, those Pearl Roadster hydraulic thrones look very promising. I love the emphasis on lighter weight, as the Roc-n-Soc Nitros can be quite heavy.

m_anderson

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t really get into the tractor style seat
I agree about the "bicycle" style seat, I could never get into them either. I've never had a hydraulic throne, but I would like to try one. I really liked my first Pork Pie because I like the fabric and a stool that is perfectly stationary. With the fabric cover I found I was not sliding around on the seat. I might be the odd man out here because many drummers want their stool to swivel. My first Pork Pie was the best. I have it right here, top quality material and stitching, almost like it is still new after more than ten years. My second Pork Pie seat started splitting at the seams within a couple years, so I question the quality of their new products. I should have contacted Pork Pie about it, but I just threw it away. I do not recommend Carmichael. I bought one a few months ago. It is way over priced, and I'm not sure how the split in the seat is supposed to help your back, but I find it annoying.

Last edited:

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Tama just introduced a hydraulic throne for 2021. The Pearl tri-lateral, in my opinion, would be the best of both worlds between a round seat and the tractor style. Never liked the tractor style seat as I always had to fit perfectly into the seat with all of the grooves, and I rarely do. Round seats work best for me, but I sit fairly low. I'd be interested in that tri-lateral throne to see how it feels. I've had good luck with the DW thrones. Very supportive and stable. It the seat is too soft, my back lets me know very quickly.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the spindle version Round Pork Pie to soft unless I position myself top dead center, feels like I want to slide off. I def prefer the support and bounce of the nitro R&S tractor seat more on the firmer side. Have used the Round top as well its also firm and stable.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Worst throne I EVER had was a Roc-n-soc. Is it possible that it was a counterfeit? After 3 or 4 months, the foam was useless and it felt like sitting on a wooden board (and I don't weight 300 lbs).

Has anyone tried the newest Ludwig thrones? I love their look, with the blue/olive theme.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hydraulic thrones will fail over time and the replacement cartridges are pricey and not easy to find. I contacted Pork Pie when I got a used throne and it needed a new cartridge.
They told me that because of their failures they no longer carry the gas thrones that they sourced from Gibraltar.
That being said, for home use the hydraulic throne is super comfortable with either my roc n soc seat or the big pork pie.