In the Market for a new drum throne

*Shane*

Reaction score
There’s some really informative info here, thanks a lot! This is a fast moving talk forum which is great.

I have had my Pork Pie for about 16 years now and it’s a tractor or bicycle seat. I bought that style because at the time I was really getting in to double bass feels, not speed metal. I was always under the impression that for double bass it’s good to have the tractor style seat.

My problem now is that the seat on my PP is starting to cave in down to the ply wood directly under my hamstrings.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The hydraulic thrones will fail over time and the replacement cartridges are pricey and not easy to find. I contacted Pork Pie when I got a used throne and it needed a new cartridge.
They told me that because of their failures they no longer carry the gas thrones that they sourced from Gibraltar.
That being said, for home use the hydraulic throne is super comfortable with either my roc n soc seat or the big pork pie.
That's unfortunate!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst throne I EVER had was a Roc-n-soc. Is it possible that it was a counterfeit? After 3 or 4 months, the foam was useless and it felt like sitting on a wooden board (and I don't weight 300 lbs).

Has anyone tried the newest Ludwig thrones? I love their look, with the blue/olive theme.
Had an issue with the hydra unit sticking R&S took care it of immediately and even picked up return shipping.($28) So Top Shelf Service Dept right there!

Pork Pie on the other hand not so good, I called about the seat being to spongy and soft, he told me nothing he could do, there foam is there foam, go buy a different seat he said. lol!

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play the Ahead Spinal Seat Throne on my kit and can sit for hours with no pain. They are around $200 + I believe. I bought mine a few years ago. But this is an investment you should make without cutting corners. I also own a Gibraltar Softee Seat Throne that sits next to my TapOff practice pad on a Pearl stand. The Gibraltar seat is okay for a short period. Now even though it’s called ‘softee’ after an hour or longer you are stiff as a board. Not ideal for my back, which is why it stays only by the pad. From my experience get a saddle seat, even Pearl makes an excellent seat. If you can get to a music store, mask up & go sit in a few it may be worth your time.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm happy. My nitro has the 6 leg base. Don't really notice the bounce. I also play guitar and its a nice place to sit for that too.

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used a heavy duty Yamaha for about 15 years. I have been using a round base Pork Pie for about 5 years. I still have both. The Pork Pie is more comfortable.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
SoundSeat throne. Real leather seat, made in USA, and super comfortable and supportive. Nothing even comes close, in my opinion. I have 4 of them.
Agreed. I have a Soundseat on a dw base. Can play for hours with no back or leg pain, fatigue, or sore ass.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roc n Soc are great, and definitely better than most thrones out there. But if its for home use and you're looking for a good investment, the Sound Seats are just in another category IMO. Not a household name and a few others have mentioned them, but here's the link just to make it easy for you:

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried a roc n soc doughnut seat for a few months and after long gigs it felt a little uncomfortable on the upper thighs.

I really like the Tama round rider XL so far. I don't feel it during a gig and it helps my balance by allowing me to sit a little further back on it.

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Worst throne I EVER had was a Roc-n-soc. Is it possible that it was a counterfeit? After 3 or 4 months, the foam was useless and it felt like sitting on a wooden board (and I don't weight 300 lbs).

Has anyone tried the newest Ludwig thrones? I love their look, with the blue/olive theme.
I love my Ludwig throne (the round kind). I've only had it a month but so far it's very sturdy and comfortable.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have four RnS’s (all hydraulics) so you’re going to know which one I recommend. I have one for gigging, one on my ekit, one in my studio and one back in Florida for my reunion kit. My old band from the 60-70’s have an occasional reunion in South Florida. Have had mine for years. No bouncing unless I want it to...

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
According to the Roc-n-Soc site, replacement gas cylinders are only $36.00.

I've had one for almost 20 years, and it's softened a little but still works great. I've had the second one for several years and it's still perfect. They've been tossed in truck beds hundreds and hundreds of times.

itsjjp

Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't go crazy on a throne. I bought some basic brand a while back that is of the oversized bike seat variety. Black vinyl and solid chrome hardware with double braced legs of course. Well under $100. Maybe sixty bucks. Best throne I've owned. Spent way more on a Pork Pie with a Leopard skin top and gold sparkle sides. Round. Not as comfortable as the bike seat, but by no means bad. Arguably better made and will outlast the cheap one, but enough to rationalize what I paid? Tough call. The Pork Pie looks really cool, yet nobody sees it at stage shows. If I do a floor level gig in a smaller club, then yeah it gets looks and I get compliments -but that's not why I bought it. It makes me smile whenever I see it, and it's damn good. So weigh all of that along with your budget and everyone else's feedback my fellow Beat Master Thrasher!

Monday317

Reaction score
I’m a Ludwig Classic Maple guy and just ordered my third new CM kit in my favorite sizes, 20/14/12, along with a new Pearl Eliminator p-2052b belt drive double pedal, Eliminator h2050 two leg hi hat stand, all new Pearl hardware and new Zildjian Custom K Dark cymbals & hats.

The last thing for me to buy is a new throne. At the moment I’m really interested in the Roc N Soc Nitro but my only reservation is the fact that it bounces. Has anybody had any experience with the Roc N Soc? If so, I’d like to see what the verdict is and I’m also open to other brand suggestion. Thanks!
My first throne was a better Pearl bought in 2003; great base, OK round seat.

In 2004 I was waiting for a clerk in a drum store, tried a pile of thrones and realized I could do a lot better. Planted my dainty () bottom on a PorkPie tractor seat and had a serious Come To Jesus moment! Bought the seat then and there, put it on the Pearl base, never looked back.

FWIW, Roc n Soc was a close second.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a Ludwig Classic Maple guy and just ordered my third new CM kit in my favorite sizes, 20/14/12, along with a new Pearl Eliminator p-2052b belt drive double pedal, Eliminator h2050 two leg hi hat stand, all new Pearl hardware and new Zildjian Custom K Dark cymbals & hats.

The last thing for me to buy is a new throne. At the moment I’m really interested in the Roc N Soc Nitro but my only reservation is the fact that it bounces. Has anybody had any experience with the Roc N Soc? If so, I’d like to see what the verdict is and I’m also open to other brand suggestion. Thanks!
I have a 45 minute butt... really.. I use a Roc-N-Soc Nitro base with a Carmichael seat and back rest... let's me get into the 1 hr- 1-hr 15 min range before I have to stand up. Worth every penny.

moerelly

Reaction score