In the Market for a new drum throne

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I suffer from L5-S1 discal herniation, so I already know what you're saying, thanks. I was asking about the throne, not the back. English isn't my native language, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I understood what you were saying. My point was that if a back rest is going to provide lumbar support, it seems that it would have to be low enough to press against the lumbar spine.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I understood what you were saying. My point was that if a back rest is going to provide lumbar support, it seems that it would have to be low enough to press against the lumbar spine.
Ok. Isn't it designed to do exactly that? What's the point of a lumbar support if it doesn't touch the lumbar zone? If you're saying that these thrones don't work very well for lumbar support I'll look at something different.
Thanks.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok. Isn't it designed to do exactly that? What's the point of a lumbar support if it doesn't touch the lumbar zone? If you're saying that these thrones don't work very well for lumbar support I'll look at something different.
Thanks.
Exactly! Are they? I’m just saying that if a back rest doesn’t come in contact with the area of the lumbar spine, I don’t see how it can provide lumbar support. For example, I’ve seen some back rests that appear to only make contact in the area of the the lower thoracic spine. How does that provide lumbar support? Further, I don’t see how a larger backrest that appears to make contact with the lumbar and thoracic spine, but is vertically straight, provides lumbar support. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Like I stated in my previous post, my lowest 2 discs in my back are degenerative. The Roc N Soc offers plenty of lower back support for me to sit for hours. The backrest is definitely useful and does it’s job. The backrest is adjustable height wise and front to back. Plus it‘s mounted to a hinge that rotates up & down.

Here are some pics to better explain...

Backrest all the way down and all the way forward...

Backrest all the way down and all the way back...

Here is the backrest pivoting up & down...

Backrest all the way up and all the way forward...

Backrest all the way up and all the way back...

Between all of these adjustments, there is no way to sit uncomfortably. If you feel too upright, then just move the backrest all the way backwards. If you aren’t getting enough lower back support, just move it all the way down and all the way forwards. It offers plenty of support for my bad back and reaches my lower vertebrae fine. Plus the hinged backrest makes it contour to your back if you lean forwards/backwards. The only way I could see the Roc N Soc throne/backrest not helping a person’s back would be if they are very tall and/or very fat. I’m 5’10” 170lbs and it reaches my lower back fine.

WesChilton

Reaction score
I have had a Roc-n-soc hydraulic for a very long time and I'm REALLY REALLY ready to go back to a non-hydraulic, round throne. I really miss my old late 80s Yamaha 9000 series throne that I foolishly sold to buy the Roc-n-soc in the early 2000s. Saddle style seats are just not for me.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had a Roc-n-soc hydraulic for a very long time and I'm REALLY REALLY ready to go back to a non-hydraulic, round throne. I really miss my old late 80s Yamaha 9000 series throne that I foolishly sold to buy the Roc-n-soc in the early 2000s. Saddle style seats are just not for me.
I have used round ones too personally, the studio I go to has one of the hydraulic roc n soc saddle style seat. I don’t feel tired after playing 1.5 hours but the seating position is weird to me kind of. I am considering options. I have heard the new Rogers with minimal padding is actually quite comfortable.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In terms of comfort? The fabric ones LOOK softer and more comfortable.
This one might be slightly sturdier, but its really neglectible in the grand scheme of playing.

I have my backrest all the way down and forward (even more than the reference picture posted here) for the best lower back support.

I don’t need a leaning chair, so no need for the high position.

*Shane*

Reaction score
Well I cancelled my order on the Tama 1st chair and ordered the Roc N Soc Nitro. Best thing I’ve ever done. This throne is amazing! I was worried about the bounce but it’s actually perfect and I only bounce when I want to. I don’t see how I could ever use another throne. Thanks for all of the replies and helpful insight!

Loud

Reaction score
My spinal glide seat foam failed in less than a year. Ahead does not seem to sell replacement seats. Roc-n-soc sells replacement seats without hardware for $70. I’ll buy roc-n-soc next time

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can micro adjust the tilt of the R&S seat (and others) by using thin washers under the seat mount plate either the front or rear bolts depending on which way you want to adjust.. I have 1 under each of the front mount bolts gives me a little back tilt , felt I was leaning a tad forward. All good now.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
The Ahead, Soundseat, Roc n Soc, Pork Pie, et al, are all going to be nice thrones. Really it's going to boil down to preference. I prefer the spindle round top thrones because I do notice bounce with the hydraulic ones but those kind are better if you have any kind of back pain and/or don't notice it.

Whichever one you go with, just don't go cheap. The advice I try to follow is to never go cheap on anything that goes between you and the ground: shoes, mattresses, chairs, drum thrones...