header.nohb.html

Inbound copper snare drum

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried and failed to trade for a copper snare, then succeeded in trading for a bronze snare, which made me want to try a copper shell even more.

I have volunteered to be the first lemming off the cliff. I have ordered a Trixon 5x14 copper snare drum. This is some new fangled usage of the brand name from a company in Wisconsin. If everything they say is true, it's a heck of a deal. I'll let you know when I get it. The shell is described as 1.2mm, "Our Copper is mined at Bingham Canyon Mine in Utah and contains a proprietary density ratio that we special order. While awaiting hand assembly the copper resides in climate controlled facilities so when the shells are formed the metallurgy hasn’t changed from its purest form. When the copper is ready for production it is machine drawn and spun for consistent thickness." That's some powerful marketing talk but I'm betting it's from China.

It has single point lugs which I favor (oops, bottom photo shows they lied about that). With diecast rims, $196 (marked down from $439)+ $29 shipping = $225, which seems like a a good price for this just as parts.

Attachments

• Trixon-Solist-Brushed-Copper-Snare-Drum-14-by-5-jbcs1014-4.jpg
    Trixon-Solist-Brushed-Copper-Snare-Drum-14-by-5-jbcs1014-4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Trixon-Solist-Brushed-Copper-Snare-Drum-14-by-5-jbcs1014-1.jpg
    Trixon-Solist-Brushed-Copper-Snare-Drum-14-by-5-jbcs1014-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

icetech

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it turns out to be decent that's an amazing deal :)

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It reminds me of this DDrum brushed iron which was "marked down" from $600+ to $199. I'll bet these are from the same maker; and it has the single point lugs which Trixon claimed for it's copper snare drum.

Attachments

• ddrum-snare-artisan-brushed-iron-14x5-5.jpg
    ddrum-snare-artisan-brushed-iron-14x5-5.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 39

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish you well with it. If the Ddrum is iron and has the same look as the copper, I’m skeptical. There have been a few offerings from brands like Natal and maybe DW? that said copper finish but we’re actually steel underneath.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish you well with it. If the Ddrum is iron and has the same look as the copper, I’m skeptical. There have been a few offerings from brands like Natal and maybe DW? that said copper finish but we’re actually steel underneath.

They call the rims copper, when they are just plated, but I've seen a number of manufacturers do that. They have several copper snares and some, like the hammered models, are obviously copper and we have the evidence of the video sounding like I imagine copper sounds so I think the odds are with me.

Here's the DDrum Brushed Iron for comparison:

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
They call the rims copper, when they are just plated, but I've seen a number of manufacturers do that. They have several copper snares and some, like the hammered models, are obviously copper and we have the evidence of the video sounding like I imagine copper sounds so I think the odds are with me.
Good to hear, I look forward to hearing how you like it! Sorry I don’t mean to be negative about it. Hopefully it’s a sleeper steal.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are amazingly low prices for metal drums. Good luck, I hope it works out for you. I love my copper snare btw, it sounds nothing like any of my other snares.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, Troy Laabs, who I presume is a close relative of the guy who bought the Trixon trademarks in 2007, Jim Laabs, contacted me to let me know that the model I ordered is sold out. However, he was nice enough to offer me this hammered 6.5 x 14 copper snare drum for $227(Their sale price is $285). I accepted and will be reporting on:

Attachments

• Trixon-Solist-Hammered-Snare-With-Copper-Hardware-jbcs1012-3.jpg
    Trixon-Solist-Hammered-Snare-With-Copper-Hardware-jbcs1012-3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Trixon-Solist-Hammered-Snare-With-Copper-Hardware-jbcs1012-1.jpg
    Trixon-Solist-Hammered-Snare-With-Copper-Hardware-jbcs1012-1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Trixon-Solist-Hammered-Snare-With-Copper-Hardware-jbcs1012-4.jpg
    Trixon-Solist-Hammered-Snare-With-Copper-Hardware-jbcs1012-4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a hammered one of these in the 5.5. It was a solid snare and I ended up selling when I got a 6.5. I'm sure you'll love it.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least we can be more sure that this one is copper. Since my go to drum kit has black lugs those work for me. I paid an invoice for the additional $31 and got a shipping notice an hour later.

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At least we can be more sure that this one is copper. Since my go to drum kit has black lugs those work for me. I paid an invoice for the additional $31 and got a shipping notice an hour later.
Looking forward to see pics of this bad boy and a review.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm leaving in the morning for two weeeks and the snare drum arrived a few minutes ago so here's a quickie evaluation:

I bought a set of Chinese diecast hoops a couple of years ago and these are much, much better. They seem to be copies of Pearl. Matte powder coat finish looks good. All edges are nicely rounded. The snare side hoop has ripples around the outer edge which can be felt but not seen. The hoops are of a quality that I'd be happy to buy a pair for $100.

A drum key came with it and that was necessary because the tension rod heads are too small for my regular key. So these will need to be replaced.

The Dunnett style snare throw and butt look good and operate well.

The Yamaha style lugs seem well made with brass receivers and grommets.

I like the sound but the snares are not engaged. I suspect that this will be the first time I make snare beds by tapping with a hammer. The top of the shell is slightly out of round with a flat spot like a 60's Ludwig but the bearing edge appears perfect. Some more tapping might be in order here.

With new snare wires, tension rods and some hammering I think this will be a very nice snare drum.

Attachments

• P1030658.JPG
    P1030658.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P1030659.JPG
    P1030659.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 21
  • P1030660.JPG
    P1030660.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 22
  • P1030661.JPG
    P1030661.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm leaving in the morning for two weeeks and the snare drum arrived a few minutes ago so here's a quickie evaluation:

I bought a set of Chinese diecast hoops a couple of years ago and these are much, much better. They seem to be copies of Pearl. Matte powder coat finish looks good. All edges are nicely rounded. The snare side hoop has ripples around the edge which can be felt but not seen. The hoops are of a quality that I'd be happy to buy a pair for $100.

A drum key came with it and that was necessary because the tension rod heads are too small for my regular key. So these will need to be replaced.

The Dunnett style snare throw and butt look good and operate well.

I like the sound but the snares are not engaged. I suspect that this will be the first time I make snare beds by tapping with a hammer. The top of the shell is slightly out of round with a flat spot but the bearing edge appears perfect. Some more tapping might be in order here.

With new snare wires, tension rods and some hammering I think this will be a very nice snare drum.
I bought one, as well. I am waiting on mine. Jim Laab isn’t the quickest in getting back to you. So I am waiting on shipping confirmation right now. Seeing this makes me happy.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd buy that first one just for the uber cool die cast rims alone! Bummed they are sold out.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I live in a copper mine town in Nevada not far from the Utah mine.

FWIW the copper from the mine here is hauled to the coast then shipped to china for processing before anything is made from it.