Incredible Steely Dan cover

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe someone here has already posted covers this group had done of Chicago, which are excellent. But I’ve never heard such an accurate cover of Steely Dan. The sound, vocals, the drumming in particular - fantastic.

Leave it to a group of Russian/Ukrainian/“Eastern Bloc” musicians to nail this down:

Quai34

Reaction score
And you haven't heard their cover of September/EWF and Toto, they are super good. And yes, this Steely Dan is awesome.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are some good covers guys! As for Leonid & Friends, I do think they are wonderful, but for the sake of argument, the videos seem to be a "play through" not live
recordings. I point this out as the video (as with all their studio recording cuts) was shot with at least 15 cameras and yet not one is visible in the performance from another angle!
So while I applaud their talent and patience to get the sound and performance so spot on, I am not impressed with the videos as they are composites of many takes until they have what they want for the video editing.

And before you call me out (which is always fine as well), don't say "the drummer is playing live as he hit every note". Yes, but he had time to practice his recorded tracks and shoot as many takes as he needed. Look at what Anika Nilles can do on her on covers... it's amazing she can replicate that again for the videos!

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And before you call me out (which is always fine as well), don't say "the drummer is playing live as he hit every note".
He isn't.

I was going to post the same thing. To capture that performance with everyone in the same room live, with that clearly isolated sound, would be pretty much impossible.

And although they've done a wonderful job,... I gotta ask... Why?

Do artists spend decades learning to paint, and then recreate Van Gogh or Da Vinci paintings? Asking for a friend...

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree.

These uber perfect cover and tribute bands….

I totally respect the musicianship but they ultimately don’t hold my interest.

How about singing it in Russian? Play it with a ska or reggae vibe. Anything to make it unique.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree.

These uber perfect cover and tribute bands….

I totally respect the musicianship but they ultimately don’t hold my interest.

How about singing it in Russian? Play it with a ska or reggae vibe. Anything to make it unique.
Oh man , nothing worse than going Ska or Reggae on a cover …….IMO …

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well crud , I gave it a listen . Pretty cool .
I like my Crow deep fried ……

What song of theirs used to get airplay .
I remember not liking that …at all .
I went and listened to more , I take it back .

YUKK YUKK YUKK ……