INDe Wafarer Aluminum vs Wood…best choice for year round set up in garage?

Plaid Sabbath

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting really, really close to ordering a Wafarer kit. My music space is currently a part of my garage. The kit would be “living“ there most of the time.

Located in the Midwest, so we get all four seasons and the humidity/temp fluctuations that go with it. Garage is insulated and heated, so the winter months are okay. Summer can get brutally hot and humid. Currently don’t have A/C in my garage.

I dig both of the Wafarer kits. You guys think the aluminum would be the better choice? I know that the wood kits are not wrapped. Just not quite sure if the wood drums would have issues with the seasonal weather changes.

Hoping to check out INDe at the Chicago drum show. Everything I’ve heard and read about these kits seems pretty solid.

Thanks.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have the Aluminum kit 22 13 16 with matching 61/2x13 snare. From what I know, and it aint alot
the aluminum might be the better choice for your situation, sound wise the kit is great.
Size wise its great and I think is the best kit out there for playing out, light, great looking and they can rock when you want them to.

Plaid Sabbath

Reaction score
I’d be more concerned about getting A/C in there ……
That’s also on the list. Doing some remodeling in the house right now. Windows, siding, two bathrooms, etc. Once I stop hemorrhaging money to contractors and hardware stores, I’ll try to get an a/c unit for my playpen.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s also on the list. Doing some remodeling in the house right now. Windows, siding, two bathrooms, etc. Once I stop hemorrhaging money to contractors and hardware stores, I’ll try to get an a/c unit for my playpen.
Keep us posted please , I need to get heat and air in my garage , the door is already insulated.

Plaid Sabbath

Reaction score
I have the Aluminum kit 22 13 16 with matching 61/2x13 snare. From what I know, and it aint alot
the aluminum might be the better choice for your situation, sound wise the kit is great.
Size wise its great and I think is the best kit out there for playing out, light, great looking and they can rock when you want them to.
That’s what I’m hoping. Been going back and forth between INDe and Ludwig during the past couple months or so. Leaning really heavily towards INDe. As you mentioned, the sizes and weight are ideal. At this point…anything that gets me off of this crappy e-kit I’ve been playing is a bonus.
Keep us posted please , I need to get heat and air in my garage , the door is already insulated.
Will do. My garage is insulated and has a natural gas heater. Besides the whole a/c issue, I’m looking into stuff like acoustic blankets or foam tiles to cut down some of the dB levels. Still kicking ideas around.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a alum WaFarer kit on order. Hopefully have it within the next month. I checked out a lot of sound demos between the alum and maple, and preferred the alum. This is personal taste, but another reason is also it being more rugged when it comes to weather/temperatures. My plan is to use it mainly as a gigging kit.

Plaid Sabbath

Reaction score
I have a alum WaFarer kit on order. Hopefully have it within the next month. I checked out a lot of sound demos between the alum and maple, and preferred the alum. This is personal taste, but another reason is also it being more rugged when it comes to weather/temperatures. My plan is to use it mainly as a gigging kit.
Sounds like you went through the same process as me. I think I’m leaning towards the aluminum for the durability and warmer sound. The wood drums sound great too but the aluminum kit might be the more practical choice.

Looking forward to see what you think of your kit.

Blisco

Reaction score
I went with the Kalamazoo 13/16/22 for outdoor gigs. I set up a lot in direct sun in the resort area we play often. Plus, hot van. I didn't want to damage my Classic Maple shells or wrap so the aluminum kit is perfect for sitting in sun for a few hours. Get the aluminum. It is so, so cool and light and sounds incredible. The other option was acrylic but that wasn't tonally my first choice.

Furious Styles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How is the snare? I'm considering a kit and I love 13" snares.

Plaid Sabbath

Reaction score
I went with the Kalamazoo 13/16/22 for outdoor gigs. I set up a lot in direct sun in the resort area we play often. Plus, hot van. I didn't want to damage my Classic Maple shells or wrap so the aluminum kit is perfect for sitting in sun for a few hours. Get the aluminum. It is so, so cool and light and sounds incredible. The other option was acrylic but that wasn't tonally my first choice.
Well…I think you pushed me over the edge. Went ahead and ordered the Wafarer aluminum kit. If it’s good enough for people that actually gig and play in front of other humans, it should be more than adequate for an old dope playing in a garage.

Thanks for chiming in with the advice. Cheers.

MaFrzr

Reaction score
I'm curious about what happens to an aluminum kit under extreme temperature changes. Is the expansion and contraction of the metal minimal, and not that big of a deal? Is it impossible to touch in the hot summer sun in an uncovered outdoor gig? Are the Inde shells thin enough that they dissipate the heat very quickly?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm curious about what happens to an aluminum kit under extreme temperature changes. Is the expansion and contraction of the metal minimal, and not that big of a deal? Is it impossible to touch in the hot summer sun in an uncovered outdoor gig? Are the Inde shells thin enough that they dissipate the heat very quickly?
I wouldn’t be nearly as concerned with an aluminum kit in the garage as I would be with a wood kit. The temps would have to swing pretty wildly from Death Valley to Antarctica to affect aluminum in the manner you would suggest. And I would say that since I own a Timba Tom, those shells are nice and thin.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about what happens to me under extreme temperature changes.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe they apply a coating to the shells, to help preserve it. I haven't read/heard of any issues with overt marks/dents, not like Dunnett Ti shells (collapsing under higher tension, etc). Regardless of shell construction, I tend to handle all my drums with care; use cases/bags, only I handle them, don't bowl with them, etc. Dents/marks will always be a risk, but like others have stated - mojo. Just think of it as earning its stripes.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Getting really, really close to ordering a Wafarer kit. My music space is currently a part of my garage. The kit would be “living“ there most of the time.

Located in the Midwest, so we get all four seasons and the humidity/temp fluctuations that go with it. Garage is insulated and heated, so the winter months are okay. Summer can get brutally hot and humid. Currently don’t have A/C in my garage.

I dig both of the Wafarer kits. You guys think the aluminum would be the better choice? I know that the wood kits are not wrapped. Just not quite sure if the wood drums would have issues with the seasonal weather changes.

Hoping to check out INDe at the Chicago drum show. Everything I’ve heard and read about these kits seems pretty solid.

Thanks.
Just an fyi, when I lived in a cold, northern climate, the extremely low humidity from indoor heat literally cracked some of my wood furniture. I would keep wood drums in a temp/humidity controlled environment year-round. I would think aluminum is more resistant to the effects of temp/ humidity. JMO!