INDe Wafarer Aluminum vs Wood…best choice for year round set up in garage?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi, when I lived in a cold, northern climate, the extremely low humidity from indoor heat literally cracked some of my wood furniture. I would keep wood drums in a temp/humidity controlled environment year-round. I would think aluminum is more resistant to the effects of temp/ humidity. JMO!
This is why you should never own a stained drum , they look just like furniture!

Plaid Sabbath

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be nearly as concerned with an aluminum kit in the garage as I would be with a wood kit. The temps would have to swing pretty wildly from Death Valley to Antarctica to affect aluminum in the manner you would suggest. And I would say that since I own a Timba Tom, those shells are nice and thin.
NW Indiana, about 20 minutes outside of Chicago. I think there were days in the past month or so when I ran the furnace, opened the windows and hit the a/c within 24 hours. I’m hoping the aluminum kit gets the Tom Skilling seal of approval.
I'm more concerned about what happens to me under extreme temperature changes.
Amen to that. Luckily, beer helps in any season.
Are these thin aluminum shells prone to scratches or dents?
I’m more prone to scratches and dents. Barbecue grills and lawn tools usually give me battle scars in the summer months. The drums should be okay. Maybe. Hopefully.
Just an fyi, when I lived in a cold, northern climate, the extremely low humidity from indoor heat literally cracked some of my wood furniture. I would keep wood drums in a temp/humidity controlled environment year-round. I would think aluminum is more resistant to the effects of temp/ humidity. JMO!
Oh yeah. Been through the humidity wars with guitars over the past 30 years. Spring and Fall usually brought fret sprout and neck bowing if the air was too dry. Hence…another reason for the aluminum kit.

NitroBro2

Reaction score
I understand the issue with real dry air but what do you think is reasonable humidity to keep a set in? I live in Oklahoma and have hot, fairly humid summers and mild, relatively dry winters. I’m thinking of building a climate controlled area in my garage but it would still be subject to temperature fluctuations when the A/C or heat isn’t on. Kit is maple shells. Thank you for any advice.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the issue with real dry air but what do you think is reasonable humidity to keep a set in? I live in Oklahoma and have hot, fairly humid summers and mild, relatively dry winters. I’m thinking of building a climate controlled area in my garage but it would still be subject to temperature fluctuations when the A/C or heat isn’t on. Kit is maple shells. Thank you for any advice.
Where are you in Oklahoma??