Independent Music Retailers

poetman

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase some jazz cds, and I want to buy from independent stores that may have been hurt by this Covid outbreak. Any recommendations?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am recommending the following independent record stores. I recommend stores that you can actually go in, see other people, talk with them, and see and examine that which you might want to buy, and - more fun - serendipitously run across something you never expected. That is these stores' usual way, but not now. I sure would like to see these places survive, so I appreciate your approach. Most of these shops have employees with DECADES of experience that you cannot just buy or download. Some might or might not have their catalogues online or sell regularly there. But I'll bet that in these tumultuous times, they would take a phone call or an emailed list.

For sure check out the following in Michigan: Encore Records in Ann Arbor. Lots of jazz, folk, rare, avant garde, underground, etc. They are focused on vinyl and in that regard are excellent - stunning selection, not cheap but also not scratched up (or it is then priced lower. But no junk). Their CD's are almost an "also" for them and therefore seem a little cheaper, but boy do they have 'em. Wazoo Records in Ann Arbor, too. I am less familiar with their selection, but they have been in business for around 40 years, at least.

In the Detroit area, Dearborn Music (Dearborn) and Street Corner Music, Oak Park. In Detroit and other suburbs there some record stores that are "too hip" to sell CD's, so I am not naming them here. If you run across 'em, you could give 'em a try anyway!

drumsforme

Reaction score
I have lots of Jazz CD's for sale,since I am unemployed, selling them would definitely help our situation here myself and my wife. They are all in excellent shape, plus I haven't played them in years. PM me with the artists you're looking for. I am located in South Florida- will ship in a bubble pack. Thanks

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Get Hip Records. Mostly garage band stuff, but they have a bit of everything including some odd ball stuff.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Electric Fetus in Minneapolis.

Latest posts