Indian Rhythms

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is a fascinating video that explores rhythms that may be alien to many of us. Using some of the material one can develop some interesting solos (as well as grooves.)
Here is Steve Smith also demonstrating some of the rhythms from four or so years ago:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For sure, I’ve watched both several times.

You want your mind blow watch “ A Concert for George”. Anoushka Shankar, Ravi’s daughter opens the concert, she is like a female Hendrix on a Sitar and drop dead to boot. She has a phenomenal Indian orchestra to back her. The whole thing is mind blowing and a complete show stealer. If I were Jeff Lynn I would have refused to come out after her.

polycrescendo

Reaction score

Tabla Beat Science was my first real exposure to Indian drumming and tabla. They have Zakir Hussain on tabla and Bill Laswell on bass. Light an incense and put on the album "Tala Matrix" if you're feeling adventurous.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Poly, wow, I haven't heard of T.B.S. for years! Like 15+.......

Put on any Ravi Shankar - I particularly love Monterey Pop - and sit back and enjoy! It is fascinating music and extremely complex. Also, check out early Shakti with John McLaughlin - the guy is a wizard on the guitar and his band mates are incredible! Zakir Hussain on tablas....wow!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Different languages are one thing , but this music uses a different alphabet and numerical system as well . It fractal-agizes itself into the listeners' imagination . Coltrane, Chopin travel in a similar universe .

Latest posts