Inexpensive Cast Hoops

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing around the web and hunting for cast hoops for my new Slingerland project. Because this kit was pieced together from different series of Slingerland drums, some of them have factory cast hoops, while the others are factory stick savers. Here's the kit after wrapping, minus the 10" tom.

Slingerland Concert King Rewrapped 001.JPG

At this point, three of the drums have cast hoops (10/18/14snare), so I'm looking for 12/13/16 cast hoops. (On a side note, what are your thoughts on running cast hoops on the batters and steel flanged factory hoops on the resos? Right or wrong, it seems that a consistent style of hoop on the batters would be of primary concern, but in reality, this is mostly a vanity thing for me. I've never owned a drum set with cast hoops, and I think that cast hoops arguably offer a step up in appearance and quality. And, yeah, I'm aware of the arguments pro/con for both styles.)

Anyway, I keep running across various ebay sales for imported hoops that are listed as "cast," but the image is clearly that of regular triple flanged hoops. For example:

I've read posts here from folks that have actually bought some of the import cast hoops that really were cast, not flanged steel. My question concerns how to sift the wheat from the chaff. Would especially like to hear from those who have bought the import cast hoops, which vendor you bought them from, what was the quality of the hoops, and are you satisfied with them so far?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GeeDeeEmm

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing about these, as well. Those are cast hoops at triple-flanged prices. If they're solid, true, and in-round, it's a great deal.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing around the web and hunting for cast hoops for my new Slingerland project. Because this kit was pieced together from different series of Slingerland drums, some of them have factory cast hoops, while the others are factory stick savers. Here's the kit after wrapping, minus the 10" tom.

View attachment 398015

At this point, three of the drums have cast hoops (10/18/14snare), so I'm looking for 12/13/16 cast hoops. (On a side note, what are your thoughts on running cast hoops on the batters and steel flanged factory hoops on the resos? Right or wrong, it seems that a consistent style of hoop on the batters would be of primary concern, but in reality, this is mostly a vanity thing for me. I've never owned a drum set with cast hoops, and I think that cast hoops arguably offer a step up in appearance and quality. And, yeah, I'm aware of the arguments pro/con for both styles.)

Anyway, I keep running across various ebay sales for imported hoops that are listed as "cast," but the image is clearly that of regular triple flanged hoops. For example:

I've read posts here from folks that have actually bought some of the import cast hoops that really were cast, not flanged steel. My question concerns how to sift the wheat from the chaff. Would especially like to hear from those who have bought the import cast hoops, which vendor you bought them from, what was the quality of the hoops, and are you satisfied with them so far?

GeeDeeEmm
If they are indeed cast hoops, sure, it's a deal. It's rolling the dice, I'd say. Returning them would be a nightmare.

Ptrick

Reaction score
I bought some aluminum die cast snare hoops from China due to the insane price of Yamaha aluminum die cast hoops. They look the part, and sound pretty similar, but the chrome started flaking off badly DAYS into owning them.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score

View attachment 398015

GeeDeeEmm

I was stoopid enough to order some. They are not cast, but rather flange, and are poorly made (lousy plating job - looks more like polished steel). After some considerable back-and-forth, the seller agreed to refund my money and I got to keep the hoops (which I may just end up throwing out).

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

"picks'burgh ; )

?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The hoops in the eBay link are not die cast. They are definitely triple flange.
Well, that's where the confusion comes in. The title of the auction says "cast," as does the item description, but the pictures definitely show triple flanged hoops.

Franke's input is the kind I was looking for. For a time, there were actual Chinese cast hoops being offered from several vendors. The title said "cast," the text said "cast," and the pictures were of cast hoops. Several people reported buying them and initially (and cautiously) praised them. At that time, nobody knew how they would hold up over time. Franke's experience is important to those of us looking for a deal on cast hoops. Once again, you get what you pay for.

Thanks, Franke.

GeeDeeEmm

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, that's where the confusion comes in. The title of the auction says "cast," as does the item description, but the pictures definitely show triple flanged hoops.

Franke's input is the kind I was looking for. For a time, there were actual Chinese cast hoops being offered from several vendors. The title said "cast," the text said "cast," and the pictures were of cast hoops. Several people reported buying them and initially (and cautiously) praised them. At that time, nobody knew how they would hold up over time. Franke's experience is important to those of us looking for a deal on cast hoops. Once again, you get what you pay for.

Thanks, Franke.

GeeDeeEmm
Yep the title absolutely says cast.