Inexpensive recording software?

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My son and daughter-in law want to do some multi-tracking: piano, harp, vocal, etc.

They have a modern Toshiba laptop.

Isn't there some very inexpensive, or even free, software for this? I use GarageBand myself, but I'm on a Mac.

And then I guess they'd need a USB interface to plug a mic into...although they do have a Zoom recorder that might be used as both mic and interface...

Just something easy and cheap, for fun.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

kb

Shedboyxx

Reaction score
Absolutely

http://www.reaper.fm/

You can download Reaper for Mac or PC free and then pay the $60 (Yes - $60...worth way more) when you have evaluated it.

They will need an interface, USB, Firewire, etc.

Best option I know of

Jim

Dynaman

Reaction score
'audacity' is free and used my several here. I like it for amateur recording as its quite simple,

Scott

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
I also use Reaper. Software is the easy part. Many are free but your interface is where the money goes. I use a Steinberg (Yamaha) MX816 but most quality ones will do fine. You need to decide how many inputs you need and either firewire or usb. I would suggest to get the best rated inteface you can afford because IF you doget the recording bug you don't want to throw money away with a cheap one (crappy pre-amps, not enough inputs,etc...) just to buy another one in six months. At least a quality interface won't loose too much value within the first year if you decide that recording is not your thing and you want to sell it. Just my .02

10thAvenueDrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also use Reaper. I'd be using Pro Tools if I could afford it, but for what I do, Reaper is fine. It's a great program to learn how to record on, and also good to improve your recording chops. You get to try the full version free for 60 days, and you're simply not going to find any other software that offers what Reaper does for $60 or less. Guaranteed.

As for interfaces, I'd recommend checking out the Roland Duo-Capture EX. It just came out. It has the same preamps that they use in their high-end recording interaces, a MIDI input/output, metal casing, and all for under $200.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Audacity is ok... for quickie two track stuff. It's fugly as balls and not fun to navigate at all. It looks and feels like cheap freeware, IMO.

I will +1000 for Reaper. It's my main DAW (and I do own ProTools and Cubase, both of which I have come to despise after using Reaper for a couple years) and the center of my studio.

You can use it in demo mode forever for free - and it's not crippled. The $60 is well worth it to support a great group of developers!!

Latest posts