Info about Mapex drums and hardware

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hearing that Mapex won't stand behind their products, tells me that their products are engineered to fail.
You are going to go by one story on the internet that happened 12 years ago? I have had exceptional customer service with Mapex. I have 7 of their drum kits. I have had a few problems over the years that were always taken care of.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In that instance, it seems that way unfortunately. But I've never heard of another instance like this. Bandit is really the one to ask on this. From what I understand, he's had experience dealing with Mapex directly, not just though a dealer. I think he's been satisfied.

EDIT: Sorry: I was writing this while Bandit posted.

MrYikes

Reaction score
This forum is where we drummers share our experiences. One drummer had a very bad experience with Mapex. Think about how much better Mapex's reputation would be if there were no bad experiences listed here. Also think how little it would have cost them to do the right thing at the time, but they choose to let their reputation take a hit. It's been over 12 years and their reputation is still getting hit by that one decision. I value the experience of everyone.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a Mapex M-Birch kit, about six years ago. I had no knowledge of them, but the kit was in my price range, was pretty much immaculate, and came with travel bags, all for $500. I snatched it up.

So far the drums have been everything I hoped for (I most recently played on two Yammie Stage Customs). They tune up well, and the kick is just monstrous sounding (22"). I have had issues with the hardware. Lots of memory lock screws stripping, and the cam on he kick pedal totally fell apart. Seems like some of the metal parts are softer than the competitors. Some of those issues were related to the previous owner, not taking his time and making sure he was threading them in right. Others were what I'd chalk up as kid of cheap parts. Again, it's a M-Birch, so I'm sure the highest level stuff isn't like this.

That being said, whenever I've had issues with parts, the Mapex guys had always responded promptly, and in some cases sent me parts free of charge. The last couple of times, I've had to go through the conglomerate of all the companies they fall under, and it's been a bit of a struggle. I have to now make a trip to Guitar Center, and order them through them, as they won't do direct to customer.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This forum is where we drummers share our experiences. One drummer had a very bad experience with Mapex. Think about how much better Mapex's reputation would be if there were no bad experiences listed here. Also think how little it would have cost them to do the right thing at the time, but they choose to let their reputation take a hit. It's been over 12 years and their reputation is still getting hit by that one decision. I value the experience of everyone.
Apparently, you value the negative experience of one forum member from 12 years ago more than you do the much more recent experiences of the many forum members who have had very positive experiences. You can choose to live in the present or the past; it's up to you.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I said I had a bad experience with them. I also said the ProM & Saturn kits were fine & great. Just because I dealt with their vice president who told me they wouldn't stand behind their warranty because I tuned the drum too tight, you definitely should not go by my experience. I told him I tuned it medium tension and used it twice & then put it in a bag in my closet for six months. When I set it up I noticed cracks in the veneer. It's a 6.5x14 snare drum & not a picollo. I told the v.p. guy that if they have a torque limit it should be in the literature included with the instrument. I read about other people having the same cracked veneer issues back then so I wasn't the only one. I was sharing my one example albeit from 12 years ago because someone asked. I have never had that happen in almost 40 years of drumming. I had dealt with Pearl, SKB, & Yamaha and never was treated that way. Maybe the v.p. had a bad day? It doesn't excuse treating your customer who spent $300 plus on a snare drum like I didn't matter. I still have the drum. It sounds awesome. It just looks like crap for an otherwise gorgeous cherry drum with gold hardware.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know that over the years, Mapex has done business with different companies for their veneers. It could have been a company providing those specific veneers, and they my have been sub-par. That doesn't excuse Mapex for not dealing with the issue. Could it have been a drum they couldn't replace because of the veneer and so they dug in their heels? Either way, I don't blame you for being gun-shy after an experience like that.

At last check, Mapex was using Alpi veneers, which I think other companies (including Pearl?) are also using.

Mr.Yikes, Mapex makes string gear, and it sounds really good. Whether or not it's to your taste is another matter. If you have a local shop that carries them, try them out and see if you like them. If you so, talk to the sales guy (if you feel he's trustworthy) and take their temperature on Mapex customer service. If they're a big Mapex dealer, they may have better experience than others. Be clear on the return policy, and if possible, inspect all shells inside and out, make sure there are no cracks, that the bearing edges are good and that the shells are in round. Give the hardware and finish a scrutinizing view. (I recommend you do that for ANY drum you take from a store, no matter who's made it). If it's not up to snuff, you don't have to take it.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Mapex M birch kit that were great drums both quality-wise and sound-wise for the money.
Also had a Saturn V that I'd still own if I had a larger room. Also top notch.
Never any quality issues with either.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This... is the catalog.

"The World Beat"

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just sold a 10 year old Saturn kit, and purchased a new one with a cherry mist burl exotic veneer. I have said it before -- fit & finish on my Saturn kits were the same as my DW Collectors (although I have never been a fan of the plastic tension rod washers Mapex uses - which could be changed for pennies) and I prefer the sound of the maple/walnut hybrid shells over straight maple. I was always dismissive of the brand because I initially disliked the name. I bought a kit to match the stage show of a female led trio agency band I was backing with full intention of flipping them when the run ended, and loved the drums so much that I ordered shell bank add-ons and kept them for a decade. If any of you are playing non-German Sonor Force series drums -- I believe they are Mapex shells as they were the OEM supplier for Sonor.

Their QC and ISO 9000 certified manufacturing standards that they follow result in amazing modern gear. It is high end workhorse gear with exceptional plating on rims, lugs and tom holders, lustrous deep lacquer finishes, tune up easy and mic up insanely well through a PA. Every sound engineer I worked with in my gigging days marveled at how easy the Saturn kit was to get dialed-in.

Not familiar with their lower lines, though I hear nothing but great things about the Armory line.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Mapex naysayer but my opinion has changed since having a long discussion with Russ Miller and having the chance to really inspect a Saturn kit and Design Lab kit at the last Chicago Vintage Drum Show . I was very impressed with the sound of these drums and the finishes were very well done . The new Cherry Bomb kits that Jeff Hamilton is using are very nice .

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay Mapex defenders, shouldn't they have made good on that? That is a defective veneer. Should I try and fix it? Can it be fixed? It sure was pretty before it got all cracked up.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As I said, dude...I don't see any reason to excuse Mapex for not making good on that drum. I think it was a lousy move on their part.

My experience with them, has not been that though. Which is why I encourage the OP to talk to his dealer and feel them out for their dealings with Mapex.

ronnieDee

Reaction score
I have owned two Mapex sets, a Pro M and a Mapex meridian maple. Both were very nice. I remember the Pro M as having really great tom sounds. The Meridian I did not use much as I had a chance to resell at a profit. I did not care for the 8 lug 22x18 bass drums (too deep), but that was a factor of the size and the fact that they were not 10 lug drums, not the fault of Mapex.

The Meridian was especially nice, with thin maple shells and a great finish.

Back in the day I ran a small drum dept in a local music store and we were a Mapex dealer. We got in a special order 20-12-14 Saturn kit into the store that I took out on a gig or two and it was GREAT. Shoulda bought that set. The Saturn stuff is VERY cool, maple with an inner ply of Walnut.

I still have a Mapex meridian maple snare (20 lug!) that is a good concert/rudiment drum. Got it for a song.

The new Mapex Mars all birch stuff looks really good. They have a 20/10/12/14 kit that I have lusted over lately. Check em out. I love that little 14x12 8 lug floor tom!

here's a link: https://www.lonestarpercussion.com/...MItp-_v-yf6wIVUPDACh1WQAneEAQYDSABEgLjNvD_BwE

DISCLAIMER: I do not work in a music store! I am totally retired! Yay!
i still have a Mapex ProM kit along with yamaha kits and gretsch. i grabbed the mapex fusion kit natural for like $325 local. superb kit. then i was looking for a jazz kit and again local grabbed 4 piece with snare natural for $325 with hardware and cymbals. then local again a bonham setup 24, 13, 16 , 18. i really wanted the 18 so get that for $300 natural finish. all in great shape. so for $1000, i have a monster kit (some of it is stored away) thats sounds great.
mapex technolgy is superb and should not be ignored.