Info on DW Buddy Rich Commemorative set 2006

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I just bought DFO member Mempho's DW BR set ( beautiful kit, carefully packed, tremendous transaction). I've contacted Chris Coyle at DW customer service for info, talked to Daniel Glass, and I've done as much on-line research as I can. Some questions remain. I'm hoping someone here might help...

How many sets were produced before Cathy Rich stepped in? Reports are 32 or 100 or 125.

Did Craviatto make the solid shell 5x14 snare shells?

Did DW match the mahogany/poplar/mahogany shells? Did they mark the notes on the shells?

Does anyone have and printed info on the set that they could scan and send me? Even DW doesn't have anything. I have a Modern Drummer review of June 2006, but nothing else.

The shell finish is the vintage marine pearl, now darkened by sunlight (presumably) to "nicotine marine." Did any of DW's Candyland video tours show or mention this finish?

Any additional help or information that would fill gaps in my research would be greatly appreciated. As soon as my new heads arrive, I'll try her out and maybe do a quick review with pictures.

Thank you.

Reaction score
CSR said:
I just bought DFO member Mempho's DW BR set ( beautiful kit, carefully packed, tremendous transaction). I've contacted Chris Coyle at DW customer service for info, talked to Daniel Glass, and I've done as much on-line research as I can. Some questions remain. I'm hoping someone here might help...

How many sets were produced before Cathy Rich stepped in? Reports are 32 or 100 or 125.

Did Craviatto make the solid shell 5x14 snare shells?

Did DW match the mahogany/poplar/mahogany shells? Did they mark the notes on the shells?

Does anyone have and printed info on the set that they could scan and send me? Even DW doesn't have anything. I have a Modern Drummer review of June 2006, but nothing else.

The shell finish is the vintage marine pearl, now darkened by sunlight (presumably) to "nicotine marine." Did any of DW's Candyland video tours show or mention this finish?

Any additional help or information that would fill gaps in my research would be greatly appreciated. As soon as my new heads arrive, I'll try her out and maybe do a quick review with pictures.

Thank you.
I have a set of those early DW Buddy Rich drums but no snare. By 2006 Craviotto was pretty full steam as their own company - my guess would be Vaughncraft but no way to be certain.

The finish on mine is definitely an "aged marine pearl" finish and has nicely yellowed as well. They still have this finish at DW and I've seen it on my visits.

My kit doesn't have the notes on the shells- I'm guessing because at that time, those shells were sourced from Keller. When they abandoned the Buddy Rich line they morphed it into the Classics series. DW produces the same type of shell although with a finger style joint at the reinforcing rings vs the lap joint Keller used. They also reverted to the DW turret lug and regular hoops. The Classics sound every bit as good to my ears.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I own one of those kits. I recall that the ads mentioned Johnny Craviotto's involvement with the snare drums and I believe there were 50 or 52 kits made, depending on the source. I was so taken with my kit that I had a 20/12/14 kit made by one of the boutique builders to the same specs. The shells appear to be Keller Vintage Mahogany and I am guessing that the lugs and T's are from the same factory that made the Worldmax replicas I purchased for the building of my other kit. The hoops may have been sourced from Cherie Willowghby who was selling COB stickchoppers during that timeframe.

One final note: the vintage look of the wrap seems to have been achieved by removing any backing layer from a WMP wrap, which allows the mahogany grain to slightly show through. That gives the illusion of an aged and vintage wrap.

Madchops1984 also has one of these kits. I recall that one kit with a 22" bass drum was also specially made for an endorser.

R

RickP

The owner of the Toronto Drum Shop Just Drums had one of these kits in his office for a few years. I always admired this kit. The look and sound was fantastic. They really captured that old Vintage Slingerland vibe with these kits.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Probably not much actual help but here's a picture of a BR set that DW had on display at the 2005 Chicago Drum show. As I recall DW had two of these sets on display there that year and I'm pretty sure that one of them had a significantly more yellowed tint to the wrap. I guess I didn't take a picture of both of them.

By Sunday the asking price had dropped to a pretty reasonable level but still well out of my range. I wish I'd snagged one somehow though.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
The look and sound was fantastic. They really captured that old Vintage Slingerland vibe with these kits.
That's what stops me every time I see a set I'd really like. I"d love to have something else, but these are just so me. Gigged them tonite for a 'Wine Down Friday" winery gig. Wow, what a set....... View attachment 240903

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
CSR said:
It will be interesting to see what it sells for. My kit has the single floor tom - the second was an add-on offered by DW. Just for fun here are two clips of me on mine - the sound quality is not that great and I had only been playing for two years (after a 37 year break) when they were shot, but if gives an idea of the kit itself:

Last edited by a moderator:

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I came across these videos in my research. Great sounding kit. I can't wait for my heads to arrive to try mine out.

I checked...no notes penciled inside my shells.

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm rather confused as to what relationship there was between DW and Buddy Rich. Seems kind of like the Gibson "Jimi Hendrix Commemorative Les Paul" guitar.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm rather confused as to what relationship there was between DW and Buddy Rich. Seems kind of like the Gibson "Jimi Hendrix Commemorative Les Paul" guitar.
I wondered the same thing at the time. They also did a snare drum that had Buddy's picture on it. I had heard that it was a deal that Cathy Rich had made with them and then she pulled it and started (or at least licensed) the "Buddy Rich Drum Company" with another drum builder. I don't know how true that is but I'm sure there must have been some involvement by Cathy as she is pretty protective of those rights, at least as far as products go.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I have heard there was talk before his death about Buddy going with DW... knowing Buddy's proclivity for free drums + cash, there must have been some incentive offered if he story is true. He died before anything could be finalized.

DW made a short run (32? 35? 50? 100? 125?) of commemorative kits after his death until Cathy stepped in and threatened to sue, as she was planning to bring out her Buddy Rich Drum Company line.

All of this is hearsay, as nobody seems to be talking openly about the situation, which is now, a decade later, a moot point.

These sets were in the Buddy configuration, with a three-ply mahogany/poplar/ mahogany shell, fully rounded bearing edges, stick chopper hoops, and wide Radio King-style reinforcing rings of maple. They had unique DW lugs, a "banana" mount, and two DW cymbal mounts.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Buddy supposedly didn't like the look of the Way/Camco/DW round lugs (said they looked like "little clocks") although I'm sure that if he had lived longer and the right endorsement deal had been offered he could have seen his way clear to using DW anyway. Interesting though that DW did not use their traditional lugs on these kits (one reason I was attracted to them). I wonder if this was due to Buddy's supposed statement?

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, there really is absolutely no connection between Buddy and DW drums, other than they were made in the same standard sizes that Buddy (and hundreds of other drummers) used.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Always liked these kits. I remember my local shop had one one the floor for a LONG time in a single-floor tom config. I always wondered where the 2nd floor was--I guess they were available either way. I loved the look and "mojo" of the kit, but the price was outrageous....I think it was over 3 grand just for the 4-piece shell pack. I may have considered it, but got my Mapex Pro Ms at a MUCH lower price brand new as well.

I guess you could order a new Ludwig CM in a WMP finish in those sizes to come up with a similar-type kit in today's market?

Latest posts