Info on DW Buddy Rich Commemorative set 2006

FFR428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CSR congrats getting these drums. I had my eye on them since they were posted for sale. As I'm sure maybe other did as well. Just didn't have the funds in my case. Great looking and sounding drums. I'd love to have a set of these too one day. Look forward to seeing themn with your new heads. DW's with RK style lugs are so cool. Whatever the BR connection these are wicked cool with limited production. Solid maple snare is a nice treat too! Enjoy them.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Dw doesn't pay their endorsers
I bet they would have made an exception for Buddy. They would have had to if they wanted people to see him behind their drums. From Rogers onward Buddy was a pay to play endorser and when no one was willing to pay him anymore he went to using his own vintage set rather than letting any drum company get a "free ride".

xipa4

Sister Cool
Reaction score
Remains me of Istanbul Mehmet Tony Williams tribute set,the only difference is Colleen Williams involved with the making of the cymbals,but Cathy Rich instead sued the making of DW BR tribute kit.
Just my $0.02 :)

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mark Cooper said:
.....or you could buy a 24, 13, 16, 16 Slingerland set and be a heck of a lot closer to Buddy than any DW set.
I have played on Slingerland RKs and can honestly say that the DW kit is a dead ringer in sound (and mostly looks) and has a lot better hardware. I love vintage drums, but hate vintage hardware. The DW kit is a clone down to the bearing edges, shell composition and hoops on all of the drums. So, honestly, getting a playable Slingerland RK kit in the same condition as a brand new DW may be a costly proposition and if you ever played the DW kit you would be hard pressed to tell the difference sonically if you were blindfolded. Not to be contentious, but I do not think you have touched the DW kit so are speculating. I have played the real thing, and own the DW kit.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Didn't want to start a controversy here. I'm just happy to have purchased the drums and am looking forward to playing them in conjunction with my Slingy set. I wanted to share my excitement with the forum and try to have some of my questions answered. Both vintage and new drums have their rightful place.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
CSR said:
Didn't want to start a controversy here. I'm just happy to have purchased the drums and am looking forward to playing them in conjunction with my Slingy set. I wanted to share my excitement with the forum and try to have some of my questions answered. Both vintage and new drums have their rightful place.
As a long time owner of the DWs I can assure you that you are going to love them. I, too, have a Slingy kit (not RK) circa 1961 and it has its place. The 20/12/14 kit I had custom made was based on RKs and I have played RKs too. There is mojo in them, as there is in the DWs that you are soon to discover.

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mtarrani said:
.....or you could buy a 24, 13, 16, 16 Slingerland set and be a heck of a lot closer to Buddy than any DW set.
I have played on Slingerland RKs and can honestly say that the DW kit is a dead ringer in sound (and mostly looks) and has a lot better hardware. I love vintage drums, but hate vintage hardware. The DW kit is a clone down to the bearing edges, shell composition and hoops on all of the drums. So, honestly, getting a playable Slingerland RK kit in the same condition as a brand new DW may be a costly proposition and if you ever played the DW kit you would be hard pressed to tell the difference sonically if you were blindfolded. Not to be contentious, but I do not think you have touched the DW kit so are speculating. I have played the real thing, and own the DW kit.
I'm not trying to offend DW owners. I have never played this "Buddy Rich" DW set but I have played many other DW sets. Personally, I never liked their sound .....or looks. That's just me. My point however, was that the drums seem to have absolutely nothing to do with Buddy Rich, other than attaching his name as a way to sell more drums. Slingerland did a Buddy tribute set and that made more sense. No idea what they sounded like but at least they were a brand Buddy was known to play at various stages of his career. DW could produce a 26, 14, 18 set and call it a "Bonham" kit but that makes just as much sense. Again, not knocking anyone's DW drums. I'm sure they are way better made than any 60's set but why call it something it aint?

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I might be in the minority here, but I just don't like any finishes that have yellowed over time, let alone faux-yellowing on a new kit. I'd prefer a minty new, slightly-blue WMP wrap, just like Slingerland offered in the 1970's. Steve Maxwell makes a nice big band Gretsch tribute kit in any finish, with complete vintage build-outs - even tone controls. I'd like one of those in Mardi Gras!

We used to call the old Camco lugs, "lolly-pop lugs"

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I'm putting a DW classic shield head on the bass drum (not the BR shield logo) and Modern Vintage heads on the toms. Call it a DW early Classic series kit in a typical big band setup used by many, including Krupa, Sperling, Osborne, Glass and others. Oh yeah, that guy named Bernard something-or-other.

Let's start again...three ply classic shells with mahogany on either side of poplar, wide re-rings, stick choppers, and traditional sizes with modern hardware in traditional mounting scheme. Includes a solid shell maple snare.

We can overlook the BR words if that nomenclature seems false or pecuniary. Still a pretty darn nice set in great condition, even if not to everyone's taste.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
CSR said:
I'm putting a DW classic shield head on the bass drum (not the BR shield logo) and Modern Vintage heads on the toms. Call it a DW early Classic series kit in a typical big band setup used by many, including Krupa, Sperling, Osborne, Glass and others. Oh yeah, that guy named Bernard something-or-other.

Let's start again...three ply classic shells with mahogany on either side of poplar, wide re-rings, stick choppers, and traditional sizes with modern hardware in traditional mounting scheme. Includes a solid shell maple snare.

We can overlook the BR words if that nomenclature seems false or pecuniary. Still a pretty darn nice set in great condition, even if not to everyone's taste.
The kit comes with a batter head with the DW logo (not the shield though) and the reso with the BR shield. I am no BR fan, but left the kit as was. I also checked out the kit Cathy Rich was selling and it had what looks like Keller shells with no re-rings, although I do think they were cut with 30 degree bearing edges. Also, Slingerland put out BR and GK tribute kits circa 2004 that I believe also used modern shell layups and bearing edges. DW took the time to mostly get it right. By 'mostly', I mean that I am not wild about their rail mount and the throw on the snare drum would have been nicer had they used a three point replica, but that is a quibble. At least they used replica beavertails and near correct shells and bearing edges. For the record I received mine as a gift from my brother when they first came out (complete with hardware pack too). I was horrified at first because I am not a BR fan and the sizes are much larger than the jazz and bop kits I was playing. It took me a few weeks to get accustomed to the sizes, and I fell in love with them for the sound.

One final note: the heads have shallower flesh hoops than other heads including Remo coated ambassadors. I have tried other heads and they do not sound right, so you may want to contact DW about the ones that come stock and hopefully they are still in production. Those heads have a very thin layer of coating and are problematic for two reasons: first the coating wears quickly, and second, the drums only sound to their full potential with those heads.

All that aside you truly have a treasure.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Did Buddy ever play Slingerlands that had beavertails?

I'm guessing the only time he did was at the end of his career.

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, just not the small "Super" versions as used on DW. However, his Buddy Rich signature model in the late 30's-40's had 16 small beavertails.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Its fine not to like the sound or looks of any set; however to those that say they don't like the DWvsound, I'm not sure it's valid to compare this DW set to typical DW sets (other than the classic series): different wood, different plies, different re-rings, different hoops, different bearing edges, my different choice of heads. Not too much the same other than excellent hardware and quality control.

Hearing Daniel Glass' kit in person up close and Marco Minnemann, Mike Terrani, and others on video, I think I'm going to like it.

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
CSR said:
Its fine not to like the sound or looks of any set; however to those that say they don't like the DWvsound, I'm not sure it's valid to compare this DW set to typical DW sets (other than the classic series): different wood, different plies, different re-rings, different hoops, different bearing edges, my different choice of heads. Not too much the same other than excellent hardware and quality control.

Hearing Daniel Glass' kit in person up close and Marco Minnemann, Mike Terrani, and others on video, I think I'm going to like it.
I didnt mean to knock the DW drums. My comments had nothing to do with sound, quality, looks, etc., as I have never played one of these sets. I was just wondering how (or why) they could call it a Buddy Rich set. I'm sure the drums probably sound great. No offense intended.

bzzfkt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
bzzfkt said:
So, there really is absolutely no connection between Buddy and DW drums, other than they were made in the same standard sizes that Buddy (and hundreds of other drummers) used.
Hold on......

http://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/submissions/reader-articles/dw-buddy-rich-drum-set/

Complete with turret lugs... I thought there was a thread on here about this, but I couldn't find it.
The connection with the kit being discussed (not the one to which you linked) is it's a darn good replica down to the beavertail lugs, shell style, bearing edges and even stickchopper hoops. There are some modern touches, but NO turret lugs. The kit we are discussing is as close as you are going to get to what Buddy actually played, although he never obviously played DW. Of course I guess that whoever is now holding the Rogers name or even Ludwig could legitimately issue a tribute kit since Buddy endorsed those two brands at one time. I will say that this DW kit is a helluva lot closer to Buddy's Slingerlands than the Slingerland tribute circa 2004 or Cathy Rich's money grab.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Slingerland no longer exists (other than a name), nor does Rogers. Radio King is dead. Fibes, I believe, is gone, as is Trixon/Vox.

Ludwig is left. Buddy turned his back on Ludwig after they refused to pay him to play.

DW seems the logical choice that Buddy might play today. They have the quality and visibility he required, and John Good might make an exception to paying to see Buddy behind his brand. This commemorative kit shows that DW could produce what Buddy preferred to play. So why not a DW BR kit?

Of course, Buddy would be close to 100 today and might not be laying anything. But again, this was Buddy, so...

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll say it again....My comments had nothing to do with sound, quality of build, number of plys, etc. THey look like very nice drums. As far as appearance, they looks very little like a Slingerland set to me. My whole point is that attaching Buddy Rich's name to a type of DW drum set that Buddy never played seems silly. And sorry but to me, the Slingerland tribute drums made more sense, looked more like a Slingerland set and Rich had a history with the company. Kathy Rich's motives have very little relevance. Buddy never played a "beaver tail" set....or a DW.

William Ludwig's new WFL company could produce a Buddy tribute set (if they were allowed) and that would be historically accurate. Buddy played WFL for some time.

I'm awaiting the Tama Gene Krupa Signature set.

Latest posts