Info on DW Buddy Rich Commemorative set 2006

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mark Cooper said:
I'll say it again....My comments had nothing to do with sound, quality of build, number of plys, etc. THey look like very nice drums. As far as appearance, they looks very little like a Slingerland set to me. My whole point is that attaching Buddy Rich's name to a type of DW drum set that Buddy never played seems silly. And sorry but to me, the Slingerland tribute drums made more sense, looked more like a Slingerland set and Rich had a history with the company. Kathy Rich's motives have very little relevance. Buddy never played a "beaver tail" set....or a DW.

William Ludwig's new WFL company could produce a Buddy tribute set (if they were allowed) and that would be historically accurate. Buddy played WFL for some time.

I'm awaiting the Tama Gene Krupa Signature set.
A few things:
(1) The Singerland kit may look more accurate, with the badges and all, but it and Cathy's attempt did not come anywhere near as close to SOUNDING like Buddy's kits. It looks are the criteria, you are right. If sound is more important DW got it right more than Slingerland or Cathy. By a long shot.

(2) Buddy did play Beavertail equipped kits back in the early days - anyone who played Slingerland back then did.

(3) As for Tama, don't laugh. One of my idols - John Poole - who was a Leedy endorser actually owned a Tama kit before he passed. Yeah, I was shocked, but his daughter set me straight on that (much to my chagrin). Who knows what Buddy played or owned. I know that Chick Webb - a Gretch endorser - was known to play a Ludwig snare drum when recording (or nobody was looking.)

For me the key is recreating the sound of the drums Buddy played and DW nailed it on that count. They came pretty close in looks too (I hate that frigging badge and the DW rail on my kit, but I'll get over that.)

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I believe from talking to both the Ludwig company and B3 at the Chicago show, that WFL is only producing 3 snare drums at the moment with a passing nod from Ludwig and is not capable of producing a full set anyways.

I love vintage drums, but sometimes people get stuck in the past.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
"My comments had nothing to do with sound, quality of build, number of plys, etc. THey look like very nice drums. As far as appearance, they looks very little like a Slingerland set to me."

So looks trump quality, accuracy, and sound?

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mtarrani said:
I'll say it again....My comments had nothing to do with sound, quality of build, number of plys, etc. THey look like very nice drums. As far as appearance, they looks very little like a Slingerland set to me. My whole point is that attaching Buddy Rich's name to a type of DW drum set that Buddy never played seems silly. And sorry but to me, the Slingerland tribute drums made more sense, looked more like a Slingerland set and Rich had a history with the company. Kathy Rich's motives have very little relevance. Buddy never played a "beaver tail" set....or a DW.

William Ludwig's new WFL company could produce a Buddy tribute set (if they were allowed) and that would be historically accurate. Buddy played WFL for some time.

I'm awaiting the Tama Gene Krupa Signature set.
A few things:
(1) The Singerland kit may look more accurate, with the badges and all, but it and Cathy's attempt did not come anywhere near as close to SOUNDING like Buddy's kits. It looks are the criteria, you are right. If sound is more important DW got it right more than Slingerland or Cathy. By a long shot.

(2) Buddy did play Beavertail equipped kits back in the early days - anyone who played Slingerland back then did.

(3) As for Tama, don't laugh. One of my idols - John Poole - who was a Leedy endorser actually owned a Tama kit before he passed. Yeah, I was shocked, but his daughter set me straight on that (much to my chagrin). Who knows what Buddy played or owned. I know that Chick Webb - a Gretch endorser - was known to play a Ludwig snare drum when recording (or nobody was looking.)

For me the key is recreating the sound of the drums Buddy played and DW nailed it on that count. They came pretty close in looks too (I hate that frigging badge and the DW rail on my kit, but I'll get over that.)
Actual "beaver tail" drum sets did not exist until 1940 and even then, were not very common. They were offered as a lower weight option to the heavier, bulkier Streamline lugs that had been in use since 1936. Buddy only played sets with Streamline lugs. He did however, use a Radio King snare that was equipped with small "Super" (beaver tail) lugs. Or at least, the drum with his name attached had them. But never bass and toms. They were the large square-ended lugs.

Having never played either the Slingerland version or the DW version, I cant comment on anything other than aesthetics.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I remember seeing those Buddy DW sets at the Chicago show. The only thing I hated was the rediculous height on the cymbal arm. Even at it's lowest setting I remember thinking I might have to jump to hit the cymbal. We are talking ten years ago now though so maybe I am exagerating the height... It was high though!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
wflkurt said:
I remember seeing those Buddy DW sets at the Chicago show. The only thing I hated was the rediculous height on the cymbal arm. Even at it's lowest setting I remember thinking I might have to jump to hit the cymbal. We are talking ten years ago now though so maybe I am exagerating the height... It was high though!
Your memory is good - it is a little on the high side. Actually, the ride arm is not terrible - I was able to adjust to it - but the splash arm was way too high.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I ordered a 9" DW ride arm (it was missing) to augment the 18" splash arm. Seems high to me, but I won't know until the kit is set up.

Surprised that DW cymbal arms only adjust height about 2 - 3 ". I assumed they would adjust to the full length of the arm.

Luckily, I sit high... About 26 - 27".

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just seeing this!!

Thanks Craig for chiming me in on this one.

Yes, I've had my set for about 6 - 7 years now. Great set. I haven't played it out in over a year as I've been doing more percussion gigs, but it packs a wallop.

I've always liked the low rumble of old Slingerland Radio kings, say pre-1945. Those big butter re-rings and mahogany shells are dark and thunderous.

I think these new ones project more and the hardware is certainly better. I sold all my old RK sets when I got this one, because I wanted to play them out.

It's hard to beat an old 26 dual tension RK bass drum though. They're my fav.

They're great drums, what can I say? I always heard 39 or 42 sets, and the snare is a Craviotto.

Here's a video of me playing it in a theater. The sound is pretty decent.

There's a few more of these vids out there...

Last edited by a moderator:

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Nice playing, Bill. Drums sound really good...I would expect more snare sound, but that may be the venue. Is that snare a Craviotto, or was the DW solid snare that came with the set a Craviotto? I'm unclear on that. Now, off to explore some more of your videos.

Thanks for joining the thread and answering a couple of my original questions. Can you offer any other info on the sets?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
CSR said:
Nice playing, Bill. Drums sound really good...I would expect more snare sound, but that may be the venue. Is that snare a Craviotto, or was the DW solid snare that came with the set a Craviotto? I'm unclear on that. Now, off to explore some more of your videos.

Thanks for joining the thread and answering a couple of my original questions. Can you offer any other info on the sets?
The snare that comes with the kit is a Craviotto. I recall seeing that in an ad when the kit first hit the market.

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CSR said:
Slingerland no longer exists (other than a name), nor does Rogers. Radio King is dead. Fibes, I believe, is gone, as is Trixon/Vox.
Trixon is there in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Karl-Heinz Weimer, Arthur Oeschger, and Jim Laabs re-built the company in the late 90's. Jim Laabs now has all the Hamburg designs. They are making some nice things again.

Jim Laabs, and is son Troy, has a great store and a cool production factory. These are some of the nicest, honest, true people in the world. KNOW THESE GUYS. They're AWESOME! :)

http://www.trixondrumsusa.com/about-us

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
CSR, interesting subject you raise there. What would Buddy be playing, were he alive today?

I would presume the old Slingy kit he was using when he passed. But if he were paid to play....maybe DW with BR approved lugs? Or why not Tama or Yamaha? Unless, he had a "thing" about using Japanese gear. Don't laugh, I know three elderly vets who won't drive Japanese cars....just an observation.

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hawker said:
Or why not Tama or Yamaha? Unless, he had a "thing" about using Japanese gear.
I don't think he ever used Pearl either. But he did use germany stuff like Trixon. Maybe pearl harbor was just too close to him.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

beantownswing

Reaction score
Oops, sorry Mark, looks like the link won't be active until the auction goes live. Here's the description and an image attached:

This 2006 DW Classics Buddy Rich Commemorative Drum Set is a limited edition issue with only about a hundred kits produced.

This set was bought new in 2010 from Boston Drum Center and used by the Beantown Swing Orchestra until 2017, when the band switched to vintage drums. Most of the set was featured on its three studio albums (Trolley Songs, A Beantown Christmas, and Stevens' Swingin' Session) and all live performances during those seven years, some of which can be seen on YouTube. The snare is made by Craviotto and has a solid maple shell, while the bass drum and tom shells are mahogany and poplar with 10-ply reinforcement rings. All are wrapped in vintage white marine which has turned darker over the years. The set consists of:
  • 9" x 13" rack tom, s/n 00063
  • 16" x 16" floor tom with legs, s/n 00064
  • 16" x 16" floor tom with legs, s/n 00065
  • 14" x 24" bass drum, s/n 00066
  • 5.5" x 14" Craviotto snare drum, s/n 00067
The snare was only used in 2016-2017 and has been in storage the rest of the time. It's in amazing shape and has DW's patented Delta ball-bearing throw-off.

The second floor tom was an add-on for this set and has not been used. It is extremely rare for this collector's set to have two floor toms (with consecutive serial numbers) and greatly adds to its value.

The bass drum has a "banana" mount for the rack tom, as well as mounts for two cymbal arms (included) and folding leg spurs. The inlay counterhoops are attached with vintage-style lugs and T-handle rods. One of the counterhoops is cracked in one area (see photos), but it's still highly functional and a replacement can be ordered from DW if desired.

The set will be professionally packaged by Boston Drum Center for shipping, with lugs and other hardware removed from the shells and included separately, and the shells nested where possible.

Comes with DW and Aquarian Modern Vintage II heads, plus the bass drum reso head with the Beantown Swing Orchestra logo.

Attachments

Latest posts