header.nohb.html

Info on my Ludwig Super Classic?

Josh G.

Reaction score
Clear maple interior on a 1962 bass drum is totally legit. Ludwig was painting the insides of toms by late 1960 or so. I had a silver sparkle super classic once that was dated April of 1963 and the toms were white inside and the bass drum was clear maple. I have not, however seen a transition badge on a drum as late as 1962. Did the seller tell you that the set was re-wrapped? WFL offered the option to do a black wrap in the 50's and for years I was always confused by it as I never saw it on a catalog and wondered why they would just randomly offer black wrap. Several years ago someone on one of these forums posted an old letter from Ludwig that explained that in order to do black wrap, they would flip over the black pearl wrap as it had a black backing on it.

That rail on your set is definitely a 1962 style rail and it is positioned in the spot where a rail would be from 1962. WFL rails and Transition badge drums used a two bolt rail much like what Gretsch used. The four hole rail appeared possibly 59 early 60. It's a nice looking set but it sounds like some trickery might have been put on you. It's impossible for me to say that though as I don't know how the original ad was worded.
The title of the original ad was 1959 Ludwig Super Classic in Black 14x22, 16x16, 9x13. The description was

1959/60 Ludwig Transition Badge Super Classic

Re-Wrapped in Black Wrap

14x22 Bass Drum 3 ply w/ maple interior

16x16 Floor Tom 3 ply w/ mahogany interior

9x13 Tom Tom 3 ply w/ mahogany interior

Wrap job is middle of the road - seems like it could be easily removed

Removal of the original wrap left a bit of a scar on the bass drum were the wrap would tuck into the seam.

Edges on both toms are in good shape

Heads fit a little tight around the kit due to the new wrap

Josh G.

Reaction score
Good points from all above. Nothing fishy about the clear interior on the bass at all. My good friend Allen Lewis has a serious focus on trans badge Ludwig's. You can hit him up on Facebook. He has tons of details.

Mike
Thanks Mike! I was able to find him by searching for him in the Ludwig Vintage Snares and Drums group. Just messaged him on facebook to see if he is willing to help.