Info wanted: 1961 Slingerland 8-lug wmp snare

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Hollywood ace had a tone control, the Student model did not.
Both were 8 lug, and the Student could be ordered from the factory wit stick saver hoops.
Ah, I see. Then this is a Student Model since it has no tone control.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
Ah, I see. Then this is a Student Model since it has no tone control.

It would seem so. It was cheaper to order the Student model with the uprgaded stick saver hoops than it was to order the Hollywood Ace with no tone control.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hollywood ace had a tone control, the Student model did not.
Both were 8 lug, and the Student could be ordered from the factory wit stick saver hoops.
In the '60 catalog, the Hollywood Ace does not have a tone control. It shows up in the 63 catalog.

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the '60 catalog, the Hollywood Ace does not have a tone control. It shows up in the 63 catalog.
Interesting This drum is date stamped from ‘61, so it could be a Hollywood Ace???

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice drum. I also found one recently. It took about a half hour to get to the seller's house, but on the way back I had to drive through the worst storm ever! It was raining so hard that it took almost two hours to get home. Totally worth it.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So in 1960 it was $81 for the Hollywood Ace and it came with no tone control.
The Student with the $4 upgrade from the straight hoops and clips to the stick saver hoops was a total of $66.
Makes them the same drum.
Same shells, same style and number of lugs, same strainer and butt, same hoops, same finish options.
How would someone now tell which model it is?
I have not seen a Hollywood Ace without the tone control so I assumed someone back then would have saved a chunk of money buying the Student model with the hoop upgrade.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
let's see the revised pic (of the new) Slingerland/Slingerland match up
@mc437

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 63 catalog came out in 1962, so.that make sense.

My Slingerland "Catalog 63" also describes and pictures the Deluxe Student drum with a tone control (6 lugs and stick-saver hoops). Identical to the Hollywood Ace other than # of Lugs and snare wires.
The "lesser" lines of Student drums were either 8 or 6 lugs with clip on hoops.....and no tone controls mentioned.

Interesting that the catalog also lists a 1 ply "Radio King" snare drum. So at least for '63 the RK was back.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Slingerland "Catalog 63" also describes and pictures the Deluxe Student drum with a tone control (6 lugs and stick-saver hoops). Identical to the Hollywood Ace other than # of Lugs and snare wires.
The "lesser" lines of Student drums were either 8 or 6 lugs with clip on hoops.....and no tone controls mentioned.

Interesting that the catalog also lists a 1 ply "Radio King" snare drum. So at least for '63 the RK was back.
Seems like Bud was just winging it when it came time to write copy for a new catalog.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

The `63 Deluxe Student snare and it's predecessor the Special Student snare are not the drums I am talking about.
Those were 6 lug models.
There was a model simply called the Student.
8 lugs. $4 to upgrade to stick saver hoops.
I would rather have had the 8 lug Student with stick savers, than the "Deluxe" or "Special" models with 6 lugs regardless of a tone control.

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
let's see the revised pic (of the new) Slingerland/Slingerland match up
@mc437
Here’s a lil’ shot behind the kit. I did a quick cleanup (not a deep cleaning and detailing, but cleaned the shell and polished the chrome), and it looks great. Still dialing in the sound, but I love it so far. It’s got a tight “bark” to it; really crisp. This one’s a keeper.
4D513FB1-1BF3-4C31-8782-83EEBD0AE073.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
4d513fb1-1bf3-4c31-8782-83eebd0ae073-jpeg.532459

nnnnnnnnnnnow it matches : )
you have the full beauty of (the) brand's design.... from snare into small tom snare over to floor tom..