Inner ply made from two pieces of wood?

tone-def

Reaction score
The performance downtime has allowed me to make closer inspections of my gear and naturally I'm finding things that I can't explain. Quick plug for my Ludwig Speedmaster thread that has garnered no responses yet...

The latest item is the inner ply of a 14 x 10" tom from a Premier 6000 (aka Powerhouse), 70's? (no date date stamp), mahogany. There's a horizontal seam that goes all the way around the inner ply, ending about 1 cm off vertically from where it starts. My first and obvious thought was that the ply had split. But on closer inspection, the wood is a different color with different grain patterns. There is also what looks suspiciously like a rip mark from a saw at one point along the seam. I'll try to get better pictures later but I think these may work.

So is it a split, just the something natural in the wood, or is it possible that two pieces of wood were spliced together to form the same inner ply? Has anyone seen anything like that before?

Attachments

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking thats natural wood, heart-wood, sap-wood, what ever goes on in a tree?

ThomasL

Reaction score
Wrapped Gretsch drums sometimes have horizontal seams in the outer ply. They made long cylinders and cut them to length.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The plies aren't always one piece. Premier, Rogers and gretsch are pretty common to see this. The inner ply of a three ply shell is often made from several pieces. There are even strips of perforated paper veneer tape glued on to help reinforce the wood so it doesn't snap or to simply hold the pieces together if they aren't glued together. Usually you put this on the outside of your lamination so you can sand it off but can be on the inside of a lamination in a lot of cases. You can see this on one of the Ludwig factory tour videos. It is just the way wood veneers are.

tone-def

Reaction score
Fascinating, I had no idea some drum companies did that! I always assumed the cylinders were made from uniform pieces cut to the full size needed.

Last edited: