INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be worse. The only drumming videos I ever saw growing up were on MTV. Talk about mis-education. Thanks a lot, Tommy Lee.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the internet blew up tomorrow and went away forever, we’d be just fine musically. It’s complete icing (which is delicious) but it is not the cake.

So speaking of cake – meaning actual music – my internet challenge to any of the drummers on yt etc that read here is: your next 10 videos have to be with other people. Not zoom. Not your cat. A band. Playing actual music. Do that. Let’s have some actual music from you for a change. If you can't due to the virus then wait til you can. Yes. You can wait that long if it means actual music. It's worth it. Gauntlet thrown….to myself as well since I need to do the same thing. Gauntlet thrown..

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve ever scored a gig or students through having a presence on Instagram or YouTube. Maybe Facebook but that’s only because said person didn’t have my phone number.

I won’t name names but the only people that I think are creating a deliberate act of business suicide are some of the drum manufacturers.

for me personally I’ve had to cut back on who I follow(on instagram) purely from the fact that I was spending too much time watching and not getting as much stuff done.
I've never gotten a gig because some bandleader saw me shredding. I have gotten gigs because some folks liked what I did for the music on certain clips.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the internet blew up tomorrow and went away forever, we’d be just fine musically. It’s complete icing (which is delicious) but it is not the cake.

So speaking of cake – meaning actual music – my internet challenge to any of the drummers on yt etc that read here is: your next 10 videos have to be with other people. Not zoom. Not your cat. A band. Playing actual music. Do that. Let’s have some actual music from you for a change. If you can't due to the virus then wait til you can. Yes. You can wait that long if it means actual music. It's worth it. Gauntlet thrown….to myself as well since I need to do the same thing. Gauntlet thrown..
With the exception of demo (Buy this cymbal! Now) videos, all my clips are with other folks, although lately they tend to be tracked separately and merged. Great musicians don't hire just based on our ability to play the instrument - they hire on the ability to enhance their music.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If YouTube had been around when we were all learning how to play drums I guarantee you all that every single person on this forum would be a better drummer than they are at this very moment.

Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
continued...

I started playing drums in 1961. I never even saw a moving image of Gene Krupa playing the drums until he was on the Dean Martin show in 1965. (He played a five-minute version of "Sing, Sing, Sing".) I never saw a moving image of Buddy Rich playing the drums until he and Krupa had their drum battle on the Sammy Davis Jr. show in 1966. I remember talking with other drummers in junior high school who didn't know what some of their favorite drummers even looked like, because the only photos we could see were on record album covers, and those didn't always show the band. (And when they did, they didn't always ID the members.) When you consider this, the idea that we can now access and watch any one of hundreds of thousands of videos of drummers with the click of a mouse (or a tap on our phone screen) is nothing less than revolutionary. No doubt about it.

Last edited:

senecaty

Reaction score
While theres often plenty of not-so-good videos to browse through...I’m a fan of the seemingly endless supply of tutorials and ideas. As a gigging cover band drummer, I find it super helpful for learning new songs and figuring out tricky fills!

It most recently helped just yesterday which serves as a perfect example:
I was sitting in the car, waiting for the Mrs and it hit me “dang...how do pop drummers do those awesome fills?!”. I tried searching but was fed the usual... dozens of videos that were interesting but not what I was looking for. So then, I thought, “wait, Nate Morton on The Voice is the guy who I hear perform these fills the most...I wonder if he has a video?”. Yep, you bet he does! 9 mins later I was tapping out quads played as triplets on the steering wheel but the trick was; he leads with the BD hits first! That was the magic sauce that my ears couldn’t quite pick up when played at speed with a full band, and all thanks to a quick YouTube tutorial.

senecaty

Reaction score
If YouTube had been around when we were all learning how to play drums I guarantee you all that every single person on this forum would be a better drummer than they are at this very moment.

Every. Single. One. Of. Us.
Agreed!

bbshams

Reaction score
It's a tool, albeit an incredibly powerful one, and it comes down to how the individual uses it. The amount of active listening and study that can be accomplished with YouTube is just insane-- if you are dedicated to learning, there is a truly endless well of wisdom online to draw from. There is also a lot of crap, but for a free thinker it is easy to sift through. Sometimes I think younger generations (such as myself, b. 1997 so I think I straddle the line between Millenial and Gen Z...) don't appreciate the power they hold in their hands. I think it's a sort of sensory overload, and the vast knowledge available for free online is lost because of the superficial nature of technology and social media.

Social media has given EVERYONE a voice, which is beautiful and simultaneously horrible. There are a lot of people putting shite out into the world thinking that what they have to say is important, which is a bummer. There are also interviews with now deceased masters of music discussing its intricacies and sharing wisdom. It's a double edged sword... but i'm grateful for it! It's not substitute for bandstand experience, but it's certainly helped make me a better informed musician.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have nothing against them and it’s great that drummers and all musicians have a platform to present themselves. However, I’m not really into watching drummers practicing or shredding on their own or doing drum covers, no matter how capable they are. If there is some original musical content, that’s a totally different story.
IDK! There’s a YouTube video of a drum cover that captures every note of Steve Gadd’s drum part on Aja. It’s fascinating to see what those parts actually look like and how they are interpreted.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I've seen all sorts of talent, creativity and entertainment on those platforms. A lot of it isn't doable live or with other forms of media. A lot of times, the drummer ends up being more entertaining than his paying music gig is, so it's fun to see the full scope of their personality, and also see that the boring stuff can pay the bills, so reign it in and play the part when you need to. Or do something else for money and play drums for fun.

BNestico

Reaction score
What’s not to like about high quality video and sound recordings of some of the best drummers in the world? Anika Niles is one of my favorite drummers playing right now and her career was launched via you tube.
Drumeo is a fantastic resource for drummers of all experience levels. I remember when the only time I was able to really see drum centric videos of great players were Modern Drummer festival VHS tapes.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Never got into it. Only watch demos of equipment I am interested in. Not some 4 year old playing Tom Sawyer.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, there's no question that 'chops and speed' in drumming are all over the internet. And for a teacher, it could be a nightmare. Because younger students think this is what drumming is all about. And it sometimes can be a part, but many times it isn't. How do you get the student that wants to play drums with speed all the time to realize that you don't beat the heck out of the instrument and yourself to create music? Sometimes the answer is a simple, 'drop them'. If the attitude can't be changed it may be best to part ways. If they are serious about learning the instrument and more than just the flash, they will come around. The serious drummer/musician learns that speed & flash has a place and many times is just for show. As Morello used to say, 'those stick twirls will look really great on the album'. In other words, they are not adding one bit to the recorded music, meaningless. But that's something you can tell a person, but they have to come to that realization on their own. Personally, I use U-Tube to listen to the greats playing and for product sounds. As far as who's the next Gospel Drumming - Stick Twirling - Double Pedal - Thirty Second Note - King, I could care less.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As Morello used to say, 'those stick twirls will look really great on the album'. In other words, they are not adding one bit to the recorded music, meaningless.
Thank goodness listening to recordings is literally the only way to enjoy music.

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not on instagram, but find YouTube really great... for certain things. Just watched Charles Lloyd quartet with 21 year old Keith Jarrett plus DeJohnette and McBee. Wow. As far as drum specific, the thing that bothers me is the number of people trying to make their mark as teachers who can't cut to the chase. There is no need to blab for a minute or two before you actually play an example of what you are talking about. I love Quincy Davis "Q Tips" and Stanton Moore for getting right to it. The 80/20 drummer has really unique content, but could pick up the pace of getting to the point at times.

stuart s

Reaction score
I dont know what a "Drum Culture" really is but..

Great entertainment provided by drummers on YT.

My favs are Bonzoleum and George Fludas's Bonhamology, PFOZ, Jimflys2 and many others.......