Interesting Bass Drum Pedal Comparison Video

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ran across this video and hadn't seen it posted anywhere yet. If this is a repeat post . . . well, it's just a repeat post.

These guys did an excellent job in discussing each pedal's good and bad features and didn't spare criticism for any of the main players' shortcomings. And there are a few critical shortcomings (see the DW9000 review, especially) that I was unaware of because I haven't played most of these.

Hope you enjoy.

GeeDeeEmm

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Apparently Tama is not considered a top quality product. Not that I care about the comparison video that much, my Iron Cobra is much more pedal than my ability to play it. LOL

sherm

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'm fine with the simpler, lighter & cheaper versions of a couple of the pedals shown.

I've been using the Pearl P-930 which is the lower-end version of that P-3000c Demon. It's been a winning pedal for me, nimble, comfortable and easy to manipulate. I paid around 70 shipped, like new.

I also have an Iron Cobra Jr.200 which is the lower-tier version of the Iron Cobra. It's another winner, got a decade of use on mine. Comfy, rugged & reliable, with an intuitive feel. Cheap, too. Paid about 40 like new, and it has the baseplate.

That Gibraltar G-Class, what a monstrosity. I had a new one for a month or two and struggled to even play it.
Too much mass and a terrible feel, a real clunker. Disappointing, because I liked their Intruder models.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm fine with the simpler, lighter & cheaper versions of a couple of the pedals shown.

I've been using the Pearl P-930 which is the lower-end version of that P-3000c Demon. It's been a winning pedal for me, nimble, comfortable and easy to manipulate. I paid around 70 shipped, like new.

I also have an Iron Cobra Jr.200 which is the lower-tier version of the Iron Cobra. It's another winner, got a decade of use on mine. Comfy, rugged & reliable, with an intuitive feel. Cheap, too. Paid about 40 like new, and it has the baseplate.

That Gibraltar G-Class, what a monstrosity. I had a new one for a month or two and struggled to even play it.
Too much mass and a terrible feel, a real clunker. Disappointing, because I liked their Intruder models.
I was messing with Tama200s myself at a shop recently and was amazed . I was doing stuff I really can’t do with it . I need to buy .....

dangermoney

Reaction score
Interesting stuff there ...

Funny, DW5000 single pedals used to come with a bag although I've always preferred the Gibraltar single pedal bag over the DW which was kinda cheap. My 5002 came with a pretty good soft case but it's a little too wide for my hardware case.

I find it eye opening to see how complicated some of those pedals are. I'm really interested in trying out that Sonor Perfect Balance pedal though ...

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw this awhile ago. I found it odd what was on the list and left off the list without mention of why. If it was a personal search, like my own comparison video, there can be reasons why some pedals are not looked at but, from the perspective of pedals, in general, with the wide price range they used ... the video lost applicable focus for me. It's just too random.

Like Steve shared, he likes mid-line, lighter feeling pedals for the jobs he uses them for. A video addressing that range makes sense, and then higher end pedals, or those that promote playing a lot of notes with greater ease and power, etc. . Or a video for stompers and heavy playing of standard Rock, or whatever.

It becomes a mystery why they chose the pedals they did in this video.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
4:40 mark
That fancy Sonor pedal won't fit properly on a Sonor bass drum. Lol, that seems really odd.
The irony is rich indeed! :lol: And I can verify that it's the same with the Sakae single pedal I recently picked up. The Prolite BD claws just stick out too far for some pedals. Annoying, to say the least.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait, are you guys stating the hoop clamp will not lift far enough to enclose on a hoop that is too thick?

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMHO, I think what is meant by the SONOR pedal not fitting on a delite? set up might make sense due to the cheaper pedal having a wider base and the delite lugs are bigger/thicker than most tuning rods and claws.

Now if you were to choose a higher end SONOR pedal (which would only make sense when you are spending big bucks on the kit) then I would expect that fitment to not be a problem. If it still is, then it would mean SONOR didn't think through their planning and development very well.

Just my take on the matter.

Latest posts