Interesting drum company connection

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own an older PDP Rat Rod snare drum shell and I decided to strip the hardware off of it to refinish the rather ugly flat black maple shell. I had a laugh after I removed the badge and looked at the back of it. The PDP badge was made from recycled aluminum stock that was already printed for Pearl Uni-Lock System badges. I guess the printing company must do work for at least 2 different drum companies.

PDP Rat Rod badge front.jpg

PDP Rat Rod badge back.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes one thinks we've seen it all in form or another, but this one is a winner. Who knew? One of the oddest things I've seen in the drum world. Thanks for posting that!

GeeDeeEmm

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of makes you wonder where DW/PDP gets other parts. Huge Asian drum makers like Pearl are probably hard to beat on price. I'd guess the path from Pearl to PDP was more direct than a third party printing company.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It makes me wonder if the drum is a Chinese counterfeit. It is so authentic that you don't know until you disassemble and find something like this.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It makes me wonder if the drum is a Chinese counterfeit. It is so authentic that you don't know until you disassemble and find something like this.
Things like this have been pretty common practice for a long time. Many, many years ago I bought a new CB700 wristwatch lug set. Every tom holder and floor tom leg bracket had "Pearl" stamped on the inside. The kit came with a CB700 free-floating snare, which, of course is a rebranded Pearl Free Floater.

GeeDeeEmm

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Things like this have been pretty common practice for a long time. Many, many years ago I bought a new CB700 wristwatch lug set. Every tom holder and floor tom leg bracket had "Pearl" stamped on the inside. The kit came with a CB700 free-floating snare, which, of course is a rebranded Pearl Free Floater.

GeeDeeEmm
But back then, Pearl was making drums for other brands, so the CB components could / would have been made by Pearl.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
One of the funniest instances of this type of thing happened in the 1970's. My dad needed a car to replace the older car he had been using to drive to work. I went with him to a local Chrysler and Plymouth dealer. Dad surprised me by selecting a sporty two door Duster coupe. The price on this particular car was right, and the car suited his needs. After agreeing on the deal, we went back to my parents' house while the dealership completed the make-ready work for the car. When we returned, the salesman suggested that we walk around the car to see if it looked OK. SURPRISE! the left front fender had the Plymouth Duster badge attached to it. The right front fender had a Dodge Demon badge attached to it. We all had a good laugh about this. The salesman took the car back to the shop. A few minutes later, both front fenders sported the Duster badges.