Interesting Jim Keltner video - Jim Keltner At Guitar Center

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Brilliant musicians have nothing to prove , that's why they seem so unpretentious and relaxed . I'd rank Keltner as one of the most influential American drummers of the last 40-50 years .

Last edited:

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fantastic! Great video, thanks for sharing. Who would have thought, a $90 vistalite on Josie!

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always liked listening to Keltner talk, he has an old timey cadence to him that he must have brought over from Oklahoma to Sin City. That Fella at the drum shop must have been like; Ok Jim, you wanna trade this engraved vintage Black Beauty for a plastic drum, anything you want son, your ear is gonna make me some money.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keltner is one of my favorite drummers/personalities.

What It Is

Reaction score
I always liked listening to Keltner talk, he has an old timey cadence to him that he must have brought over from Oklahoma to Sin City. That Fella at the drum shop must have been like; Ok Jim, you wanna trade this engraved vintage Black Beauty for a plastic drum, anything you want son, your ear is gonna make me some money.
"That Fella" was probably Bob Yeager and "the drum shop" was probably the Hollywood Professional Drum Shop. I'm sure Bob knew Jim pretty well and wasn't ripping him off.
Great rock and roll story from Jim, and I agree, I do love hearing him talk and tell stories. A true legend.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool story. Love his playing and Josie of course (although I always thought that was Purdie!). Seen J.K. many times with many good bands.....he is always solid and great for the music without overshadowing and I don't ever recall a drum solo.

Interesting he has a PDP snare - bubinga? It sounded metallic when he played it......thank you!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool story. Love his playing and Josie of course (although I always thought that was Purdie!). Seen J.K. many times with many good bands.....he is always solid and great for the music without overshadowing and I don't ever recall a drum solo.

Interesting he has a PDP snare - bubinga? It sounded metallic when he played it......thank you!
Unlikely a pdp. He gets custom stuff from DW and likely used those lugs on something. I saw an aged kit he had one time. Looked like a relic’ed fender .

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
PDP1.jpg PDP2.jpg PDP3.jpg

Looks like a limited edition PDP maple/walnut. I suppose he got a DW and asked for PDP lugs, but the badge looks like the Concept PDP, too. It's a 7.5" x 14" and he probably has it cranked high. $300 at GC new but I got a "special offer" when I logged in - 15% off, so $255 pre-tax! Looks killer for that price but not a jazz snare by any means:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP-by-DW/Limited-Edition-Dark-Stain-Maple-and-Walnut-Snare-with-Walnut-Hoops-and-Chrome-Hardware-14-x-75-in-1443537912982.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI58uR7s-K3wIVk6_sCh22MAFXEAQYAiABEgI0fvD_BwE

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Peckinpah didn't want the Dylan song in the film and left it out of the first cut. Great story from Keltner how Dylan turned up, very low key, to track the song live on the sound stage. When he played and sang, many of the crew were in tears - even Keltner. He was playing with tears streaming down his cheeks. No wonder. One of the greatest pieces of cinematic writing ever. Love Keltner. Check him out on this album:

Last edited:

sptucker

Reaction score
A legendary and favorite drummer of mine for practically my whole adult life. It doesn't hurt that he's from my hometown!!! Thanks for the clips.

Last edited: