header.nohb.html

Interesting Ludwig Development - 5" Acrolite no longer 8 lugs...

digovii

Reaction score
I have a good friend who tried to place an order for a new Acrolite because he couldn't find any 8-lug models, come to find out that Ludwig is no longer offering an 8-lug version of the Acrolite. He asked me if I had heard of this and it was news to me, so I figured I'd give everyone an update.

My assumption (and I could totally be wrong) is that there is an issue getting the shells and/or the cost of materials have gone up so drastically that it is no longer cost-efficient to have both 8 and 10-lug options for their seamless aluminum shells. Curious if this is going to impact the 8/10 lug black beauties as well?

Here is a link showcasing the new versions of the Acrolites.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That figures, having eight lugs is the biggest attribute of that model, and really all that separates it from simply being an unplated Supra.

I'm pretty sure that company that makes the shells also punches the holes. Given the probable size of the runs for each model I can't see where it would be cost prohibitive to do two different setups when doing a production run...especially when it's likely done by computer controlled equipment.

If this is true I'd be more inclined to think it's related to some marketing decision where they determined that the "market" demands 10 lugs.

digovii

Reaction score
That figures, having eight lugs is the biggest attribute of that model, and really all that separates it from simply being an unplated Supra.

I'm pretty sure that company that makes the shells also punches the holes. Given the probable size of the runs for each model I can't see where it would be cost prohibitive to do two different setups when doing a production run...especially when it's likely done by computer controlled equipment.

If this is true I'd be more inclined to think it's related to some marketing decision where they determined that the "market" demands 10 lugs.
I would like to think that we as a drumming community have come to understand that 8-lug drums are not inferior to 10-lug drums, but I also can see where the higher-ups at Conn-Selmer are like "No the world only wants 10-lugs!"

Luckily there are plenty of vintage Acro's on the market, but I totally agree that this doesn't really make it an Acrolite in my mind anymore.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe not cost prohibitive but if there was a savings to switch to only 10 and the drums still sale, or maybe increase in sales with the "pro" acrolite model, "now featuring 10 lugs" (more is better) then I guarantee Selmer will take it

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Its a weird choice to do away with the one real distinction between the acro and the supra to sell a plain jane looking supra for big money

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's interesting that the drum pictured on Reverb is the 8-lug version with the older, and discontinued, P85ac throw-off.

-Mark

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the 8-lug Acro hasn't been selling due to perception of "pro" design vs. otherwise, then that's a failure of marketing, as far as I'm concerned.

Ludwig could've built an extremely cool and vibrant marketing initiative around the 8-lug Acrolite. Shown famous drummers who used it, current pros who like/use it. Explained and demonstrated why 8 lugs is simply a sonic alternative to 10 lugs and not a step down. Etc.

They could have created an entire segment of sales potential based on SHOWING the "coolness" factor of 8-lug snares, all based around the Acrolite and other Acro snares. I.e., if it says "Acro", that means 8-lug.

As an associated move, they should have changed the 6.5 Acrolite to 8 lugs. Would have been a killer drum and sold like hotcakes in this world of renewed appreciation for 8 lugs.

This leaves me with a feeling of lack of vision somewhere up the chain.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
The acrolite market in general has been wild over the last 5 years. The typical used ones went from being “worthless” to like $250+

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
As an associated move, they should have changed the 6.5 Acrolite to 8 lugs. Would have been a killer drum and sold like hotcakes in this world of renewed appreciation for 8 lugs.

I totally agree. I would have jumped on one, especially in the Black Galaxy finish.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's interesting that the drum pictured on Reverb is the 8-lug version with the older, and discontinued, P85ac throw-off.

-Mark
I noticed that to, and thought maybe they made a mistake about the 10 lugs. But as I read the ad I noticed: "Please note: The stock snare image has 8 lugs and you will receive a 10-lug snare. The 8-Lug LM404C was discontinued by Ludwig in July 2021."

I'm kind of surprised this is the first we've heard about the change, since it happened over a year ago.

digovii

Reaction score
I noticed that to, and thought maybe they made a mistake about the 10 lugs. But as I read the ad I noticed: "Please note: The stock snare image has 8 lugs and you will receive a 10-lug snare. The 8-Lug LM404C was discontinued by Ludwig in July 2021."

I'm kind of surprised this is the first we've heard about the change, since it happened over a year ago.
Yeah I was caught off guard too. I didnt realize they discontinued it that long ago. Wild.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree that Acrolites should have 8 lugs to separate them from Supraphonics, but Ludwig muddied the water recently with the brushed Acro brass and copper 10-lug 6.5" snares. I'm not sure what the point was with those.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably a net positive outcome for Ludwig. The additional 2 lugs, gaskets, & fasteners offset by the lower production cost (higher volume, setup cost spread across a larger quantity of parts) of one aluminium shell type and one hoop type, as well as the warehousing and handling benefits.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I get the mental image of a whiny 12 year old kid in a music store..."But mom! That one only has 8 lugs"

I suppose that's the market...or at least it was when they were the cheap "first drum".

Kind of ironic that Ludwig is now cashing in on the reputation this model has built up over almost 60 years by changing its most defining feature.

Maybe the thought was to differentiate the new ones from the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of old ones out there...I can see that as a reason (perhaps misguided). With reasonable care a metal snare drum can practically last forever and they sold boatloads. Probably 75% of them have survived in playable (or at least restorable) condition.

I would have quickly bought a new 6.5 model if it had had 8 lugs...I guess that's never going to happen. Glad I've got 4 or 5 old ones (all 5").