Interesting... Matt Chamberlain's new cymbal set-up

markkarj

Reaction score
I was rather intrigued with Matt Chamberlain going to Paiste (in his latest endorsement) given how his cymbal sounds have typically been very dark and musty. I particularly enjoyed his playing for the Tori Amos "Live From Sunny Florida" DVD.

Looks like he's heavy on the Formula 602s... a surprise from me as this seems to be the polar opposite of his previous sounds.

markkarj

Reaction score
Fair enough. It's a tough time.

So where will he be off to next? Camber cymbals (doubt they're still made)? An all Zildjian Scimitar set?

I do love his playing. This groove from Sugar so completed fascinated me when I first heard it. I suppose the whole concert was incredible, especially in how three musicians could make such a full sound.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Matt is my favorite player. I still want a set of Ayottes because of him.

Reaction score
I really like Matt's playing but I don't know him, so I will say only this.

I have been told (off the record) by QUITE a few drummers throughout the years that throughout the 80s and into the 90's, there were MANY studios throughout LA that had a stable of 602 crashes (especially) that engineers "requested" that drummers use for their sessions. Today, many of LA's current top call session players (Keltner, Vinnie, Abe Jr., Curt B, Freese, etc) are all Paiste endorsers and users.

So Matt might just be "conforming." But engineers do have gear that they like, and are used to. These choices often make the engineer's job easier. As a working drummer, I'm often "all for" making an engineer's job as easy as possible.

As a fellow Paiste endorser (and user,) I will say that it appears to me that Matt has good taste in cymbals based on his choices. In my mind, it is a fact that microphones LOVE 602 Paperthins and 602 Medium Hats.

MSG

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see he has a “custom” 22” 2002 Novo china. That cymbal needs to make its way back into regular production.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m a Zildjian man, but I like Paistes too. Nothing wrong. I still plan to eventually put together my JR set of pies. Good for Matt if he found what he loves the most.

Last edited:

Latest posts