Interesting MIJ drum kit - 60's/70's aged WMP - update SOLD......

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this kit pop up on Reverb this morning as a $2000 Slingerland kit. At first glance it looked old and original....and very clean. Almost to clean for one of these. On closer look, not so much USA-made.
I told the seller it was almost certainly an MIJ kit. But a very worthy and probably well-made copy with Slingerland and Gretsch features....maybe Ludwig too.
I see some features of 1954/55 Slingerlands. The color of the shell interiors suggests pre-1965 to me. The knock-off Zoomatic means no earlier than 1963. BD tension rods look "newer" 70's style.
I told the owner I'd post here to see if a maker could be identified. There are no badges, just the rectangular brass plaques that are blank. Did they used to have decals on them? Or are they there
to cover vent holes for studio work? Seems to me a nailed on plaque could be a rattle source - more so than any original badges/grommets which could be taped over if concerned about them rattling.

What struck me was the exceptionally clean chrome and the beautifully aged creamy WMP wrap. I can't recall seeing a WMP MIJ kit that struck me as just "beautiful." If this kit has
good bearing edges, it probably sounds as good as it looks. When I saw the name "Future of Forestry" I had some visions of this kit being a commemorative kit from something in the Colorado
Forestry Field of the 1960's. Guess, I didn't remember any of my C.S. Lewis from school. It turns out "FoF" is the name of the owner's band. This kit was used on one of their albums about 6 yrs ago.

https://reverb.com/item/39722027-sl...s-future-of-forestry-pages-album-original-kit

Future of Forestry drum kit.jpg

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is 100% a vintage MIJ kit - not Slingerland. I've had a lot of vintage MIJ kits (and Slingerland's), and one look inside the bass drum shell confirms it. That wrap is original, imo. I've seen other 60's MIJ kits with similar aging affect (beautiful and even). Look at my 60's Stewart kit in my AV. It was near mint when I got it (chrome, everything). Came from an owner who took care of it. This kit for sale is cool, but not remotely worth his asking price. They need to do better research.

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Beautiful kit. I think Gretsch offers or used to offer a similar finish on the Broadkaster reissues.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that middle reinforcement ring in the bass drum is a dead giveaway to a MIJ kit, Bass Drum Ride cymbal mount......However really like that aged WMP.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those ft brackets are the dead giveaway and I mean dead (i wouldn't play them) or give em away ; )

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is 100% a vintage MIJ kit - not Slingerland. I've had a lot of vintage MIJ kits (and Slingerland's), and one look inside the bass drum shell confirms it. That wrap is original, imo. I've seen other 60's MIJ kits with similar aging affect (beautiful and even). Look at my 60's Stewart kit in my AV. It was near mint when I got it (chrome, everything). Came from an owner who took care of it. This kit for sale is cool, but not remotely worth his asking price. They need to do better research.
Agree 100%. For some owner/seller focused on this being a real Slingerland kit and priced it based on that. Though top end for such a real Slingerland might be $1500. I'm sure they will soon get the price down to "around" the levels discussed here.
I too feel it's 100% original. Did they replace all the mint chrome as well as the new 'aged' wrap. Very unlikely. Where would you even find mint MIJ chrome pieces....and then go through all that effort to replace them?
Everything inside and outside on this kit looks mint. Would be nice if the original tom mount was still around somewhere. That could have been put aside when recording on this kit.

It's MIJ. But which MIJ company? Which model brand out of the hundred or more? (tough). Which period? Early 60's? Later 60's? 70's?
I'd pay in the $400-$500 for this kit if in my region and it all checked out in person and sounded "like a Slingerland." These almost never come this clean....and esp. in WMP. But, I have reservations if those plaques are screwed well into the wraps/wood.
I'm not sure I could live with knowing that. It would be a shame if those plaques were screwed in to cover whatever original name badges/decals were under them. Ouch.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kenwood. That makes sense.

Now that the owner knows what this is and the approximate value.......that $1600 price shouldn't stand.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrap looks killer. Looks like a clean MIJ kit but the price is crazy.....I agree sub $500 and if seller doesn't see it, he will be sitting on that kit a while......

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FWIW, these have been on CL for weeks @ $265, VGC says ad.
They are oh so close to my first kit, I've struggled with buying them, I keep telling myself "you've owned enough budget drums"

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reality has hit. The MIJ WMP kit is now listed for $650. At least that's in the realm of reason.

Premier Player. Would be a lot cooler if that root beer kit had the matching snare and a 2nd tom for that mount. I sort of want my MIJ kit to have all the bells and whistles it originally came with.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That CL kit is so cool! With some bearing work and clear coat inside I am sure it would be sweet....and those colors and hoops! I bet $200 does it....

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed this WMP MIJ ended its listing on Reverb. The owner told me it sold locally and basically at the last asking price.
So 30% above the range discussed here. The higher buyer(s) did show up. Just goes to show....you never know.

Last edited: