interesting ringo muffling anecdotes/image

bon viesta

Reaction score
i’ve been a ringo nut since the day i picked up the sticks (which wasn’t that long ago, resident 14 year old here), but something i’ve alwaaaays found fascinating is beatles recording techniques. especially the later years. the sound of those drums always fascinated me, and i know that it comes from the use of tea towels but something interesting to note is the fact that this sound started appearing even before 1968 (i might go back and edit in some examples later), but the main reason i mention that is the fact that ringo had been using that trusty 1964 super classic to produce those crunchy muffled tones before he ever brought in those maple hollywood drums. so, why haven’t i seen really any images of that kit all dressed up for the studio? i merely suspect a lack of photography in general. it’s not really the point of this post but i think it’s an interesting question. i’ve only seen 2, the lady madonna/hey bulldog session footage and this one image from the hey jude sessions at trident. also another question, when did ringo start muffling his bass drum? i think i started hearing soooomething in that bass drum at least since revolver, but maybe that’s just me. two questions for you people. though i don’t think many of you would ever care as much as i would about this information lol.

(image of a page from a book is from the hugely expensive “recording the beatles” book, which i do not own. i just found the image on the internet)

Attachments

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And whatever happened to that Red Love The Beatles front head? disappeared? auction? Ringo still has it?

bon viesta

Reaction score
And whatever happened to that Red Love The Beatles front head? disappeared? auction? Ringo still has it?
i wonder that too. it looks very crude, but honestly i love it. another thing to notice, do you see that red extra strip right behind the black wooden front hoop? it’s there in all images of the red love drum head, and i have no clue what it is.

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wonder that too. it looks very crude, but honestly i love it. another thing to notice, do you see that red extra strip right behind the black wooden front hoop? it’s there in all images of the red love drum head, and i have no clue what it is.
Never noticed. a plausible explanation would be that it is a piece of material painted w/ red logo wrapped over the reso head and tucked under the hoop like the original "The Beatles" logo on Ringo's Premier kit? But that would really muffle the head. in the late 60s I had a friend who gigged with two bands and it was easier to change a cloth with band name than keep switching our reso heads :)

1601314405033.png

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I've always assumed it was overspray from the red paint that just dripped down onto the flesh hoop.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's paint that got on the aluminum hoop when the head was painted.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
i’ve been a ringo nut since the day i picked up the sticks (which wasn’t that long ago, resident 14 year old here), but something i’ve alwaaaays found fascinating is beatles recording techniques. especially the later years. the sound of those drums always fascinated me, and i know that it comes from the use of tea towels but something interesting to note is the fact that this sound started appearing even before 1968 (i might go back and edit in some examples later), but the main reason i mention that is the fact that ringo had been using that trusty 1964 super classic to produce those crunchy muffled tones before he ever brought in those maple hollywood drums. so, why haven’t i seen really any images of that kit all dressed up for the studio? i merely suspect a lack of photography in general. it’s not really the point of this post but i think it’s an interesting question. i’ve only seen 2, the lady madonna/hey bulldog session footage and this one image from the hey jude sessions at trident. also another question, when did ringo start muffling his bass drum? i think i started hearing soooomething in that bass drum at least since revolver, but maybe that’s just me. two questions for you people. though i don’t think many of you would ever care as much as i would about this information lol.

(image of a page from a book is from the hugely expensive “recording the beatles” book, which i do not own. i just found the image on the internet)
First off, I'd like to commend you for your taste in music, it is refreshing to see younger folks interested in what happened in yesteryears. My 12y/o daughter is also a huge Beatles fan and her geeky knowledge of obscure trivia about them surpasses mine by a looong shot.

I'd like to know where you found the Lady Madonna/ Hey Bulldog session video you spoke of. These are 2 of our very favorite Beatles song and Hey Bulldog is the first song I remember hearing and thinking "I want to bash on drums too" when I was 4 or 5...

bon viesta

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to commend you for your taste in music, it is refreshing to see younger folks interested in what happened in yesteryears. My 12y/o daughter is also a huge Beatles fan and her geeky knowledge of obscure trivia about them surpasses mine by a looong shot.

I'd like to know where you found the Lady Madonna/ Hey Bulldog session video you spoke of. These are 2 of our very favorite Beatles song and Hey Bulldog is the first song I remember hearing and thinking "I want to bash on drums too" when I was 4 or 5...
it’s on the good old ‘tube’, though i suppose the lady madonna “session footage” is really just hey bulldog studio material that they put lady madonna over, though it was done in the same day, or maybe a few days apart. he used brushed with snare and bass drum overdubs with that song, a very interesting combination when it’s all put together. though part of me really does wish he had taken that damn bass drum head off already. haha maybe it’s a weird thing to say but i love the look of bass drums without reso heads. looks raw. looks... “studio ready”, and if anything has been articulated here it’s that i seem to love a studio setting when it comes to drums at least.

bon viesta

Reaction score
though, wow i got carried away with my pointless dribble. basically it’s the hey bulldog/lady madonna music videos on the beatles’ official youtube channel. no need to be scouring the internet for anything

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
No worries, we're all here to nerd out to our hearts content on all things drums. I sorta share your views on reso-less bass drums. A lot of the music I really liked growing up had thuddy/muffled kick sounds with the reso head removed. We did that a lot in the recording sessions I've been to as well. It took me a while to truly appreciate more open sounding kicks.

And thanks, I'll look on YT for the vids.