interesting ringo studio muffling anecdotes/images

bon viesta

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies guys! like in general. drumming is a real passion for me, it’s all i think about pretty much (ask my school grades haha. man online school really does suck) and it means a lot that i can interact with other shameless drum geeks on here especially despite my age. and about geoff emerick i’m sure he was the brains behind the muffling techniques. it seems after ringo left the beatles and into the 70s his whole muffled sound kinda flopped over onto it itself and disappeared. also beatles miking techniques are what make his drums sound so good. have you heard all those “muffled ringo drum” tutorials on youtube? hate to be crass but they sound like... well, not very favorable. it’s because the micing is completely off. also with the mic plugins described in that book page, where they tried to draw out allllll the ring that was possibly left. it makes the drums sound muffled but at the same time loud and lively. it’s great.

Last edited:

bon viesta

Reaction score
in this video without the bass or strings you can reaaaaally hear the way they miked the snare drum from the bottom, with how much you hear the wires directly. here’s a picture of a page from that 500 dollar (yes, 500 dollars) book that i found online and you can literally HEAR this mic set up on that video. note the caption mentions “1967” so no i’m not foolishly thinking that the mic was always the same throughout the beatles‘ lifespan.

Attachments

bon viesta

Reaction score
haha wow i’m just seeing all these pictures! they’re great. still wish more white album photography took place, especially with the bop super classic still present. maaaan i want to see that thing striped down to it’s “recording state”. or how cool would it be to see a picture of when they decorated the drum kit with flowers? if only someone had a camera huh.

bon viesta

Reaction score
one final note in this onslaught of ringo driven drum mania, has anyone here heard of the youtube channel “ably house”? they make beatles music instrumentals as best they can and the drummer from their channel is actually on this forum! though i forgot their username. the drum sounds on all of their videos is SPOT ON! and the drum kits are too! i forgot his username, but his name is brendan peleo-lazar. is there a way to @ people on here? lol. here’s a great example of his drum sound perfection